Is it ok to chuck a sicky to ride your bike?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
thecaptn

Is it ok to chuck a sicky to ride your bike?

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 am

Hi all,

In the past I've known "people" who have rung in to work sick just because the weather is nice and they want to ride their bike. Is this ok or is bad practice?

Does it depend on the level of professionalism expected of their occupation ie, a) a heart surgeon or b) shopping trolley collector?

Has anyone on the site ever heard of "someone" who has done this?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, ta,
Pete

r2160

Re: Is it ok to chuck a sicky to ride your bike?

Postby r2160 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Yes, its OK, just don't take pics and publish them on facebook so your boss can see.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

btothec

Postby btothec » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

I look at them as being mental health days. I've been known to take one or two during a year. The no facebook photos and statuses rule gets enforced on those days.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

No, it's not OK to take a sickie when you are not sick and then expect to be paid for it too.

It's theft, it's fraud.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 am

Typically they're not called sick days anymore. The nomenclature is personal leave for full time employees. So I see no problem in taking personal leave if you're entitled to it.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Kenzo wrote:No, it's not OK to take a sickie when you are not sick and then expect to be paid for it too.

It's theft, it's fraud.
^^^ THIS. :evil:
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

I generally agree with Kenzo and personally would not take sick leave. I do however understand that some companies policies, doing things like using sick leave entitlements as part of selling point of a salary package yet have a use it or loss it policy on the leave, cause people to view it as a right to have those days off every year. I see it as a particular issue at my workplace where if you started before a certain date then you get paid out for unused sick leave when you leave but if you started afterwards you just lose them yet both get the extra pay the union negotiated in return for losing the sick leave pay out. Pretty rough when two people can do the same job and one can buy two new cars with sick leave when he leaves and the other gets nothing. Yes, I still think it's wrong to take sick leave when not sick but I can understand why others feel it's their right to take their 15 days per year regardless.

On the flip side I'd previously worked for a company with unlimitted sick leave and would have to say the overall culture there was much more towards not abusing sick leave and on average people took less sick days than at my current employer because of it.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Kenzo wrote:No, it's not OK to take a sickie when you are not sick and then expect to be paid for it too.

It's theft, it's fraud.
Actually sick days tend more to be referred to as personal leave.

So taking the day off as a mental break and riding to clear your head can be considered acceptable.

Definitely not theft or fraud if you can adequately justify it.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Absolutely fine (in my case).

If I take a sick day, I don't get paid (contractor) so yes, by all means take one :twisted:
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:52 pm

It's very tempting on some days, like this morning :(

Doesn't work for me because it would add too much carp to my colleagues day, typically a bloke who's off roster will have to forgo a day off to cover.

If I need a mental health day I give the roster bloke 24-48hrs notice and that's it. He knows no to argue it too. First and last time he refused, I did take a sickie, at very short notice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Yes, but, there is this little thing called Karma.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Believing in Karma would warrant a mental health day off

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Believing in Karma would warrant a mental health day off
As you could imagine I require a lot of mental health days ;)

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 pm

No way I could ever do this.

2 reasons.

1. It is sick leave and it just would not feel right. I use a bit of sick leave to look after kids and even then I feel a bit guilty as it is weird being off work when feeling fine.

2. I live in a smallish town and without a doubt I would be spotted by a work mate and no matter what I thought I am pretty sure they wouldn't see it as acceptable.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:44 pm

skull wrote:

It's theft, it's fraud.

So taking the day off as a mental break and riding to clear your head can be considered acceptable.

Are you being paid for the work day? If yes, then it is just not on. Being paid for work not completed affects prices of all sorts of things. I work in a company of over 3000 staff, if 6% are sick it represents 180 people. lets say only 10% are 'sickies'... that's 18 people at a low low guesstimate of $150 a day per person (cost to the company)... or more than six hundred thousand dollars a year... which then has to be paid for by our customers... and this is using conservative numbers.

Calling it 'Personal Leave' is a way of justifying what is slack behaviour.

shann

Postby shann » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

I guess it depends.

If you call in sick in the morning because it's a lovely day and you'd rather be riding, I think you've done the wrong thing. (This happens a lot up here, but with people wanting to go boating).

If you give advance notice that you'd like to use some personal leave - mental health day - and then spend the time riding, it's fine.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm

I think it also depends on who you work for.

If you work for pigs, you are going to have an entirely different attitude than if you work for a good company.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Kenzo wrote:
skull wrote:

It's theft, it's fraud.

Are you being paid for the work day? If yes, then it is just not on. Being paid for work not completed affects prices of all sorts of things. I work in a company of over 3000 staff, if 6% are sick it represents 180 people. lets say only 10% are 'sickies'... that's 18 people at a low low guesstimate of $150 a day per person (cost to the company)... or more than six hundred thousand dollars a year... which then has to be paid for by our customers... and this is using conservative numbers.

Calling it 'Personal Leave' is a way of justifying what is slack behaviour.
Actually calling it personal leave is in line with my companies leave policy. Using the entitlement that is part of your conditions of employment are perfectly fine.

That is a half billion dollar company at that to. My previous company was the same, they were a global organisation with over 5000 employees in Australia alone. And my daily rate is considerably larger than your estimate.

Edit as for your fudged numbers, personal leave is already accounted for as part of an employees entitlement. So the cost to an organisation is already factored in. Hence why it is present as part of your package.

Last edited by skull on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Ok whats worse. Taking a sickie to go cycling or chatting on an internet cycling forum while you're at work?

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Ok whats worse. Taking a sickie to go cycling or chatting on an internet cycling forum while you're at work?
hahahaha!!!

Good point!

cheers
Glenn
-----------

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Have a look at the Fairwork Australia document - Division 7 regarding paid/unpaid personal leave and what entitlements there are. I fear skull may be onto something, still I do not like the thought of taking such a day off unless it is openly discussed and agreed with the employer, regardless if its your right or not.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Documents/Th ... t-2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I just want to add, I might say it is fine within reason I have never actually done it.

Never really felt the urge, current job is great, previous job was ok, plus get my riding out in the morning before work.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 pm

plus - the OP's question was in regards to a person who is not sick - who decides to take a day off...
Which is different to someone who is perhaps stressed.
I would hope this employee would have raised the stress issues with their manager beforehand too... it makes the working relationship much smoother.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Look, I just had to sign in and comment on this!

I am a CEO and as such I am responsible for all the employees in my organisation.

Quite frankly, I am frustrated that someone would consider taking a sick day to go riding by themselves in the sunshine

It is COMPLETELY unacceptable for any of my staff to have a day off to go cycling, UNLESS they ensure that I am invited, that I am informed well in advance so that I can also chuck a sickie (and let my PA know to cancel all meetings), and that we make the most out of it my getting in at least 100kms....

Seriously, its selfish to have a sick day and go riding without inviting your boss to come along with you! :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:09 pm

r2160 wrote:I think it also depends on who you work for.

If you work for pigs, you are going to have an entirely different attitude than if you work for a good company.

cheers
Glenn
That works for me. It pays to treat staff with respect.
Dogs are the best people :wink: