Easy route through the CBD - is there one?

Llewellyn

Easy route through the CBD - is there one?

Postby Llewellyn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable route through the CBD between Leedeville and Esplanade stations. I haven't been able to plot one out using the bike paths and while I'm happy to ride on the road, I don't really relish mixing it with peak hour traffic through that part of the city. In the past I've ridden to Leederville or Stirling and then caught the train to Esplanade but you can only do that after 0900 and ideally I need to leave before that so was hoping someone has a plan for getting through the city with as few hassles as possible. Thanks

Pravda

Re: Easy route through the CBD - is there one?

Postby Pravda » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Probably follow the PSP from Leederville, over the freeway, down past City West then it over the top past parliament house to the river. There's probably about 4 roads to cross but it's likely the easiest if you don't like roads in peak hour.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Pravda wrote:Probably follow the PSP from Leederville, over the freeway, down past City West then it over the top past parliament house to the river. There's probably about 4 roads to cross but it's likely the easiest if you don't like roads in peak hour.
+1 The City is notoriouslly bike unfriendly with zero shared paths - there is one contra flow lane in Murray St (barrack to pier) but it connects to nothing.

Scaffidi needs to pick up her game.

The alternative is to do what the couriers do and consider the footpaths and malls to be de facto shared paths.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Pravda wrote:Probably follow the PSP from Leederville, over the freeway, down past City West then it over the top past parliament house to the river. There's probably about 4 roads to cross but it's likely the easiest if you don't like roads in peak hour.
This is what I'd do. I'd turn off the PSP at the bottom of Mount St, cross the bridge (that you're not supposed to ride on) then go down Spring St to get to the Esplanade.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 am

there is no easy route through the city

I leave the Southern PSP and join Mounts Bay Road near Spring St, then along the Esplanade, Barrack St and Beaufort St most days in traffic. It is not that dangerous, the traffic is pretty heavy and slow, you just need to learn the traffic light sequences. I do that 3 times a week.

Don't know how you get into the city via the northern PSP, but Spring St, Mounts Bay Road, Esplanade is the best/only option for the last bit. William St or the Terrace are not suitable for commuting.