How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

Jasonc don't you know how rude it is to chat whilst climbing a hill, particularly if the other bloke has his tongue hanging out & strgugling for breath - or is that just me :)

Nice easy ride in for me today with only one fruit loop who thought it was a good idea to overtake me on the crest of a hill with a blind corner. Car coming the other way wasn't too impressed with braking hard to avoid him. Of course he gained precisely zero by this stunt, joining the queue of cars 20 m later, where I passed him again. I couldn't resist the urge to tell him how clever I thought he was, but apparently he didn't appreciate the complement, a few seconds later yelling out the witty repartee that I was fat. No showtime sherlock, just imagine how fat I was before I returned to cycling. To paraphrase winston churchill, if I keep riding my fat levels will keep falling, but you sir will still be a moron.

With hindsight, I was riding to the left of a row of potholes & probably would have been better riding to the right of them giving me more clearance fro mcar doors & less temptation for morons.
familyguy wrote:Second commute for the week, spur of the moment. Woke up this morning and thought "too nice to drive" 8)
Isn't that true most days Jim?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:16 am

find_bruce wrote:Jasonc don't you know how rude it is to chat whilst climbing a hill, particularly if the other bloke has his tongue hanging out & strgugling for breath - or is that just me :)
he seemed content to talk, til we got to about 1.5km when it steepened (and where my effort starts).

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 am

Pretty annoying all week with headwinds both too and from work. This morning, had a great headwind of 35km/hr with gusts up to 60km/hr which made it a sucky ride in. Did wave to the sole other commuter I saw this morning, he was wizzing along on one of those electric bikes with a tailwind (hope he saved some battery for the ride back into the wind!).

Riding down one of the main roads just before work and got a great photo from my helmet cam (jumbo 808).
She just drove straight across the intersection (despite there being noone behind me for ~300m) and just looked at me. Argh, stupid drivers eh? :evil: I don't know how people still commute with V-brakes all round, times like this I'm glad I swapped my front V out for a 200mm disc. Now she stops on a dime 8)

Anyway, it's friday commute for me, so looks like it's a ride home through the forest for me! The slicks are a handful in mud and bog holes, but they do alright :wink:

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Usually commute on my roadie with all the gear but today I decided to ride my old steel bike with normal clothes. result: got called a c... on the way in and a 'cocksucker' coming home. Not quite the Amsterdam-style idyll I was expecting. I always seem to get more aggro when I'm in civvies, I wonder if it's because they think I'm a weaker cyclist and thus fair game? Maybe the average yobbo is secretly scared of roadies?
Long day's journey into alt-bars

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:35 pm

280km commuting for the week. a total of just over 360kms for the week. my legs will enjoy a day off or two

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am

Friday's ride brought to a close a week of wild weather commutes.
Chilly start this morning, but dry and clear. Looks like a pleasant day in Melbourne.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:12 am

warm this morning - 17 degrees
yet still seeing people wearing full tights, jackets etc etc
:shock:

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 am

Nice warm morning... perfect weather
Last commute on the CAAD10 :( with the squishy wheels. Being boxed up now and shipped to the new owner.

Building up my carbon with Super Record, hope to be ready this week :D

In the meantime will be riding the spesh hardtail MTB to and from work

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm

It was actually raining as I left this morning, haven't seen that for a while.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

nuclear_rider

Postby nuclear_rider » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Nicce ride today. I work down Bobbin Head Rd so i see lots of other riders, interestingly because im not wearing lycra not many will wave me hello as I go by.

Had my sks p45s arrive today. fitted them and I'm really happy with the result.

Reman

Postby Reman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Last few days have seen a guy slowly heading up from the bay on a Vivente WR fully loaded front and back :shock:

Always slow down a bit and have a perve (at the bike!) on the way past.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 am

Going to attempt my commute on my recently built track bike (with front brake) today, wish me luck!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 am

Very pleasant conditions yesterday afternoon for the ride back via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail. Brings out lots of peds and their furry companions onto the PSPs though.
Cold start again this morning, but dry, clear and very little wind.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 am

Track bike commute was a success! Couldn't make it up the steepest hill but otherwise did well, rear wheel moved forward in the dropouts and slackened the chain off which is annoying...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

perfect weather in Brissy, again. riverloop with Oz and the gang. I averaged 29.6km/h for the riverloop this morning - damn happy with that.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Great commutes today, did an extended loop early and got a QOM and took back another one on this afternoons ride home :D
The weather is superb at the moment, first signs of light are beginning to appear just after 5am, makes it eider to get out there nice and early :wink:
Lisa

mclala

Postby mclala » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am

Another great morning for a ride today. That makes two days so far this week definitely going to try to get the next two days in to make it four for the week!!
Giant Defy Composite 3

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Beautiful afternoon in Melbourne yesterday, enjoyable ride back.
This morning the northerly was back, and it looks like it'll hang around for a bit. Quickish ride in with tailwind-assist. :)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Looks like spring is sprung over here in the wild west - lovely mild mornings, and saw my first brood of ducklings of the season on the way home yesterday, squeee :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Lizzy wrote:Looks like spring is sprung over here in the wild west - lovely mild mornings, and saw my first brood of ducklings of the season on the way home yesterday, squeee :mrgreen:
+1 Lizzy... :)

Yesterday i also had my first flat tyre since Novemeber 2011! :( after my clumsy/amateurish attempt to use a gas cartridge[gifted to me at Xmas!!!] i used my mini pump and was super impressed at how well it pumped up! I checked the pressure on my floor pump gauge once at home and it reflected 60psi! :o
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm

windy this morning!

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:20 am

Didn't feel like pushing today so just enjoyed a spinning session all the way to work. Even managed to yell "Hello!" to a magpie who always swoops past my helmet. :P

Beautiful morning, indeed!

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 am

Maggies - heard the screech and the flutter of wings - but saw no shadow near my head/helmet. I guess he thought he was already winning :wink:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am

Felt ordinary this morning so just a very cruisy ride in. Will take a long ride home if I am feeling better
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Windy ride back yesterday afternoon - multi-stage commute.
Damp roads this morning and fairly cool, but not unpleasantly so.