Rogue cyclists clocked at 89kmh

The 2nd Womble

Rogue cyclists clocked at 89kmh

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:28 pm

And yet 300 whatever drivers run red through just one Melbourne intersectionj in one day and it gets a passing one line reference? Pi55 poor effort at 89kph through that camera as well btw :lol:
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/20 ... own-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

KenGS

Re: Rogue cyclists clocked at 89kmh

Postby KenGS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Strava segment?
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Would have looked something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFxD7zbU3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the comments on the article states that demerit points cannot be applied to a drivers licence for offences committed on a bicycle. Is that right? I was pretty sure it had been confirmed on here (with links to relevant sections) that demerit points could apply.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 pm

They do apply in Qld.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm

FFS :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Would be scary fun. A bit stupid on a road restricted to lower.

Have touched 100 going down the huon hwy but that us a 100 zone

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I have the strangest sense of deja moo. The question of demerit points whilst cycling has been addressed on numerous occassions. While I used to think they applied to cycling, I was wrong! Whilst the road rules apply to all road users, including cyclists & pedestrians, demerit points arise from having a driver's licence and relate solely to offences related to the driving or use of motor vehicles.

The question here is Queensland. Schedule 9 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010 (Qld) includes the following definition
demerit points offence means an offence, other than an offence committed by a person while riding a bicycle, against a provision mentioned in schedule 3.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Oxford wrote:I really wish the police would familiarse themselves with the laws they are supposed to enforce before going off half cocked. whilst the act is seemingly stupid and they deserve to be fined, demerit points do not apply and the police should know this. how many fines are actually issued by police that are not valid in some way I wonder? I'd say plenty going by this article.
Gee, just the other week the police in (I think) SA had to have a major grovel (in the press no less) for booking a woman for using a mobile phone.... while pushing a pram. They have now realised that it is not a vehicle and she was not a driver. :?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:51 pm

skull wrote:Have touched 100 going down the huon hwy but that us a 100 zone
Nice one! I'm yet to beat 86...

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Kenzo wrote:
Missed it by that much. :wink:
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Gee, just the other week the police in (I think) SA had to have a major grovel (in the press no less) for booking a woman for using a mobile phone.... while pushing a pram. They have now realised that it is not a vehicle and she was not a driver. :?
Twas WA but yes you are right.

The entry standards to the Force appear to have dropped

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm

twizzle wrote: Gee, just the other week the police in (I think) SA had to have a major grovel (in the press no less) for booking a woman for using a mobile phone.... while pushing a pram. They have now realised that it is not a vehicle and she was not a driver. :?
You've got to be kidding :shock: .
Kenzo wrote:
95, but i had an argument with the road and came off 2nd best, take it a lot slower now :) .

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm

twizzle wrote:
Oxford wrote:I really wish the police would familiarse themselves with the laws they are supposed to enforce before going off half cocked. whilst the act is seemingly stupid and they deserve to be fined, demerit points do not apply and the police should know this. how many fines are actually issued by police that are not valid in some way I wonder? I'd say plenty going by this article.
That's SA police clutching at straws right there.

As for the cyclist doing that speed. He has some large balls to do that speed and not get clipped by another car.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Linky to story re. mobile & pram.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Supt Vanderbyl said the actions of the two cyclists were an accident waiting to happen.

"All it takes is for a car or truck to pull out in front of them and then we are dealing with a fatality," Supt Vanderbyl said.
yeah, but no one did hit them? doesn't that mean no offense was committed? :roll:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Probably the same result at the speed limit too (60km/h) in the event of a car pulling out, just a little more chance of avoidance from the riders.

Calls for bike rego in the comments section of the article? I didn't read down too far.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Oxford wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:They do apply in Qld.
not in Qld they don't, only apply to motor vehicle offences.
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 1999 wrote:demerit points offence means an offence, other than an offence committed by a person while riding a bicycle, against a provision mentioned in schedule 3.
<edit> didn't see find_bruce's post until I refreshed the screen.

I really wish the police would familiarse themselves with the laws they are supposed to enforce before going off half cocked. whilst the act is seemingly stupid and they deserve to be fined, demerit points do not apply and the police should know this. how many fines are actually issued by police that are not valid in some way I wonder? I'd say plenty going by this article.
I distinctly remember cyclists in Townsville being issued with fines including demerit points and licence suspensions for riding DUI along the Ross River and for not wearing helmets, however this was 10+ years ago. I must brush up on this me thinks.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 pm

jules21 wrote:
Supt Vanderbyl said the actions of the two cyclists were an accident waiting to happen.

"All it takes is for a car or truck to pull out in front of them and then we are dealing with a fatality," Supt Vanderbyl said.
yeah, but no one did hit them? doesn't that mean no offense was committed? :roll:
The offense was the cyclists breaking the speed limit.

bychosis wrote:
Calls for bike rego in the comments section of the article? I didn't read down too far.
Surprisingly no, although there are a couple blathering on about cyclists don't belong on the roads, they are a danger to everyone blah blah.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
jules21 wrote:

The offense was the cyclists breaking the speed limit.
hmm.. you're probably right. hey, wait a minute :x

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 pm

jules21 wrote:yeah, but no one did hit them? doesn't that mean no offense was committed? :roll:
BAM! Got it in one 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Strangely enough, no one says that a car doing 60 or 70 in a legal fashion is ALSO an accident waiting to happen given the same circumstances? :roll: FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bike Risk Kettle, meet Car Risk Black. :?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Except that the car has a tonne or more of metal cage, side intrusion bars, seatbelts, air bags, and the cyclist has a lump of foam on their head and some skin tight lycra. Oh and fingerless gloves maybe.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Isn't the real difference that a car driver exceeding the speed limit is a danger to other road users, a speeding cyclist is mainly a risk to himself or herself.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm

+1

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:19 pm

twizzle wrote:Gee, just the other week the police in (I think) SA had to have a major grovel (in the press no less) for booking a woman for using a mobile phone.... while pushing a pram. They have now realised that it is not a vehicle and she was not a driver. :?
Gee Twizz, you're a bit harsh in your assessment methinks. Rather than speak in hyperbole I think that you need to familiarize yourself with the story first.

"They have now realised..."? Your choice of words implies that they only see the stupidity of the action at this very late stage in the story, presumably after the media alerted them to it and embarrassed them.

Yes. It was a stupid action done by a cop, and certainly worth a chuckle at his expense. But the truth of the matter is it was quickly picked up by his own supervisors before it went anywhere, the ticket was cancelled and an apology issued to the woman. She accepted it.

The only "now" is that the media only "now" have found out about it - 16 months after it happened (in Mandurah WA btw). It was certainly no major grovel, it was not necessary.

"In the press no less."? And who else but the media would they talk to when the media raised it with them?

In view of the easy manner in which they caught and rectified a laughably stupid mistake I take from this story some relief. For stupidity I award two points against the police. For fixing it in the simplest cleanest no-fuss manner possible I give them back three.

And for light relief? Priceless! :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle