Route to ECU Joondalup from the city

Pravda

Route to ECU Joondalup from the city

Postby Pravda » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Going to be doing some commuting to ECU Joondalup and I'm trying to find the best route from the city. The Northern PSP sure looks convoluted past Glendalough.

Isthis the best route?
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

fixed

Re: Route to ECU Joondalup from the city

Postby fixed » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:24 pm

I avoid the PSP principal merde path
At peak times I take Alexander Drive, Gnangara Rd, Ocean Reef Rd and Edgewater Dr, pops out at ECU, and for most of the trip there is a reasonable shoulder. Travelling against the main peak traffic flow for the trip does take some of the stress off.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Sounds like good advice. Wanneroo road is much more direct for me as far as the journey goes but I reckon it might be a bit more hectic. Any thoughts?
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I've ridden along Wanneroo Rd plenty of times and it's no worse than Alexander Drive etc in my opinion. If you're commuting to ECU in the morning then you'll be going against the traffic and vice versa in the afternoon/evening. Just claim your space on the road and you should OK

filpee

Postby filpee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:21 pm

I'd take the PSP. Too many cars on the roads :-P

If your worried about getting lost try scouting the route in advance. Its not signposted all that well but if you keep heading in the general direction you'll find your way.

Chef

Postby Chef » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 pm

filpee wrote:I'd take the PSP. Too many cars on the roads :-P

If your worried about getting lost try scouting the route in advance. Its not signposted all that well but if you keep heading in the general direction you'll find your way.
+1

I started a new job in Joondalup a couple of weeks ago and ride from Maylands across to Leederville and up the freeway bike path to Joondalup - its a pretty good path, and more preferable to mixing it with the tin tops IMO.

Cheers

redned

Postby redned » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am

Stay on the PSP and jump off at Hodges Drive.

IMO the only confusing point for a first timer is crossing the freeway at Hutton St which is not clearly signed. Once you have that clear once, it is all sorted. Just keep heading north.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Just to clarify, I know how to get there, just trying to get people's opinion on which is the best route.
It seems like Wanneroo Road will be the best bet, mixing it with the smoke boxes doesn't bother me too much. The Northern PSP looks pretty dodgy compared to the south. I'll keep investigating it, I've got a reccy ride planned for next week.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm quite a confident rider and prefer to ride on the road vs psp where possible, but if I was in your situation I would do my best to avoid Wanneroo road! I find the lanes there are quite narrow compared to say Alexander drive so you have no choice but to claim the entire lane.

A colleague of mine commutes to the city from landsdale and takes flinders st / nollamarra ave / mirrabooka ave: http://app.strava.com/rides/21448480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He is a relatively new rider but feels safe enough on this route.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:02 am

Well a fellow BNA rider who is on tour now rides down Wanneroo rd.
I think he is crazy, but he happily rides along cruising along at 60kph or thereabouts so is doing traffic speed.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 am

This route might suit. Created by 'Mcgratha'.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/21265394
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 pm

As an update to this. Been commuting on the psp since September and not enjoying it. However just started riding up Alexander dve and gnangara road and it's a great change. Roads arent too busy and there's bike lanes along half of it. However I'll prob head back to psp come winter.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 am

Pravda wrote:As an update to this. Been commuting on the psp since September and not enjoying it. However just started riding up Alexander dve and gnangara road and it's a great change. Roads arent too busy and there's bike lanes along half of it. However I'll prob head back to psp come winter.
I do the same thing some days in winter. The worst part of the ride is the section from Hepburn to Widgee Rd Noranda ridden in the evening. Be visible, be predictable, be patient. It might be busy, but it is much better than the Mitchell PSP
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Yup thats the only part even a little bit dicey. Much nicer ride than the psp though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX