front rack for laptop

mrkool

front rack for laptop

Postby mrkool » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I've been searching high and low for a front rack/pannier based solution for commuting with my laptop to work. I think I've found it, but it doesn't appear to be available outside of Croatia. Based on the hundreds of laptop transporting options I've seen on my searches, I'm quite sure a lot of commuters would be interested to see this sold here.

http://jupiteriana.com/en

1. Has anyone seen the "busy basket" or something like this before? And if so, have you ever used it?
2. Are there any distributors reading this who would be willing to bring this to Australia?

So far I've been rocking the backpack but keen to find a solution for my back sweat as we roll into summer.

ps. first time poster. hi hi.

westab

Re: front rack for laptop

Postby westab » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:51 am

Welcome Mr Kool - glad you have joined the ranks of those enjoying the ride to and from work.

As far as the type of rack you have found - looks good but I have not seen any sold here in Australia.
I do commute to work and most days I do it with a laptop in tow (Engineering laptop that is 17" and the laptop only section is 4kg with the power supply another 2kg that normally stays at home).

I use these rear panniers Velogear Panniers with my laptop in a very compact bag and it works realy well in any weather (the long time I have ridden in a downpour is 40 min). I like using these panniers as it doesn't look like I have a laptop with me.

Now that I have ridden with panniers I don't think I would go back to a backpack; Panniers are so much better. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

mrkool

Postby mrkool » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm

thanks westab. i'm kind of set on a front rack for various reasons which i won't go into... but don't know how many people opt to put their laptops in the front. rear panniers seem to be the most popular choice outside of backpacks. i have a road bike with drop bars & a kind of low stem... so not sure how i would fit a front rack anyway. I'll keep thinking about it...

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:18 pm

I carry my laptop everyday, and my thoughts on this is that its best to keep your laptop in a backpack that your wear. This way the laptop is more protected from bumps and shaking, with your back acting like one big shock absorber. Just a theory. Though when I was living in the Netherlands a colleague's macbook pro suddenly died for no reason, and she carried it in a pannier, so that could be evidence. Maybe if it has an SD drive and no moving parts its more protected from bumps.