why more punctures on wet roads?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 am

that's the question. probably been addressed multiple times, but I am questioning the conventional reasons, those being:

- rain washes glass and sharp stones to the shoulder.
- more sharp stones carried onto road with mud.
- tires are softer and more prone to glass penetration.

the first two sound plausible, but not so much the third.

hosko

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby hosko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:14 am

A forth possibility would be that the rain prevents you from being able to see the glass as clear as a dry day, so instead of riding around it, you hit it.

Maybe...
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

kb

Postby kb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am

My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:59 am

kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.
Yep...I'm plus one on that!

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 am

Yep, sharp fragments stick more when your tyres are wet.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 am

Comedian wrote:..snip..

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.
+1 :shock:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I raised this topic because we were talking with some Uni of Qld racers yesterday after Nundah Dome, and they said 7 A graders had punctures either riding over or during their crit race. We also had punctures in our races. Never seen such a large cluster.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:

+ 2 that's my guess

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 pm

It always seems that there is more rubbish on the surface somehow.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Comedian wrote:
kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.
Yep...I'm plus one on that!

this comedian tells the truth...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Not an issue with my Gators in the wet. The sideways sliding action in the turns scrapes the carp off :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm

jules21 wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:

+ 2 that's my guess
That is what would have allows a chip of quartz to slice through my tire yesterday where as in the dry......

- David.

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Water acts as a cutting lubricant. When cutting any rubber it can be hard dry. Add water and knife of scissors go straight through. When cutting conveyor belt I used to use spray and wipe. The moisture makes a massive difference. Where dry rubber will roll over a stone or glass. If your tyres are wet the glass will go straight through. Try it with a old tube and scissors and see for yourself.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am

Hrm. I don't notice any difference with punctures wet or dry, as I never get them. Schwalbe Marathons here.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Not an issue with my Gators in the wet. The sideways sliding action in the turns scrapes the carp off :mrgreen:
Yep, them goldfish are pesky critters. Although you'd think they'd make a nice snack. Maybe the 'gators are fussy about thin sharp bones. ;)

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Water is to rubber, as oil is to metal.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Yagan wrote:Water acts as a cutting lubricant. When cutting any rubber it can be hard dry. Add water and knife of scissors go straight through. When cutting conveyor belt I used to use spray and wipe. The moisture makes a massive difference. Where dry rubber will roll over a stone or glass. If your tyres are wet the glass will go straight through. Try it with a old tube and scissors and see for yourself.
+1. Another example: watch your windscreen wipers bump and screech if you turn them on with a dry windscreen. Or compare dragging a squeegee across a dry window v's wet window. That's why wet roads are the puncture fairies' playground.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:41 am

Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

Gee you guys have certainly made me feel better about being a wimp for not riding during wet and cold Melbourne winter days.

At least now I can stop using the "my CF frame will melt in the rain" or “my CF frame might crack when it is really cold” excuse. :lol:

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 am

greyhoundtom wrote:Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

Gee you guys have certainly made me feel better about being a wimp for not riding during wet and cold Melbourne winter days.

At least now I can stop using the "my CF frame will melt in the rain" or “my CF frame might crack when it is really cold” excuse. :lol:
You might be the worlds best tyre changer ght; please dont be offended by my suggestion.
I have seen lots of people change tubes on the roadside, and I cringe in 90% of cases. The vast majority of people are hopeless. Last week was a typical case. My mate punctured, and I bit my tongue while he changed tubes. Five km down the road "i've got another flat" he moaned. I was not surprised.
Time to bring out one of my spare tubes for him. This time I gave my tongue an easy run, and insisted on doing the change myself. Some people might call me a smartarse; honestly, I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

View the bit of wet weather as an opportunity to polish your tube changing game :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:40 pm

master6 wrote:I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?
Just another case of the "give them fish" v's "teach them to fish" argument ? Sure, the latter is lots more difficult, but
in the long run, it's more effective. Is it worth thinking of the next wet weather puncture as an opportunity to
work on some teaching skills ? And carry some good quality glueless patches to fix any pinch-flat problems etc.,.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 pm

wombatK wrote:
master6 wrote:I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?
Just another case of the "give them fish" v's "teach them to fish" argument ? Sure, the latter is lots more difficult, but
in the long run, it's more effective. Is it worth thinking of the next wet weather puncture as an opportunity to
work on some teaching skills ? And carry some good quality glueless patches to fix any pinch-flat problems etc.,.
Are you the politician with "wayward" Cabcharge Vouchers"? :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:08 pm

master6 wrote: Are you the politician with "wayward" Cabcharge Vouchers"? :D
Wish I were - then I'd never have to walk home if my teaching efforts
failed :D
WombatK

tomdex

Postby tomdex » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm

master6 wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

You might be the worlds best tyre changer ght; please dont be offended by my suggestion.
I have seen lots of people change tubes on the roadside, and I cringe in 90% of cases. The vast majority of people are hopeless. Last week was a typical case. My mate punctured, and I bit my tongue while he changed tubes. Five km down the road "i've got another flat" he moaned. I was not surprised.
Time to bring out one of my spare tubes for him. This time I gave my tongue an easy run, and insisted on doing the change myself. Some people might call me a smartarse; honestly, I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

View the bit of wet weather as an opportunity to polish your tube changing game :D
Perhaps you could explain what 90% of people do wrong (or could do better!) when changing a tube on the roadside?
Forgive me, but your comment proves that you are an 'arrogant smartarse' and not willing (or able) to tell your 'mate' where he could improve his skills...............

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 pm

tomdex wrote: you are an 'arrogant smartarse' and not willing (or able) to tell your 'mate' where he could improve his skills...............

W ait A while. I gave him a demonstration on June 10 ,2012. That was three months ago. :D

As they say, W ait A while.

slipperysucker

Postby slipperysucker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Reminds me of a visit to W.A. They were slow, and unhelpful. $2 a day is about their value.