why more punctures on wet roads?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 am

that's the question. probably been addressed multiple times, but I am questioning the conventional reasons, those being:

- rain washes glass and sharp stones to the shoulder.
- more sharp stones carried onto road with mud.
- tires are softer and more prone to glass penetration.

the first two sound plausible, but not so much the third.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:14 am

BNA
 

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby hosko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:14 am

A forth possibility would be that the rain prevents you from being able to see the glass as clear as a dry day, so instead of riding around it, you hit it.

Maybe...
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2
hosko
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm
Location: Gold Coast

why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby kb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am

My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.
Image
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 896
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby Comedian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:59 am

kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.


Yep...I'm plus one on that!

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 am

Yep, sharp fragments stick more when your tyres are wet.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18373
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:38 am

Comedian wrote:..snip..

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.


+1 :shock:
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I raised this topic because we were talking with some Uni of Qld racers yesterday after Nundah Dome, and they said 7 A graders had punctures either riding over or during their crit race. We also had punctures in our races. Never seen such a large cluster.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
Comedian wrote:..snip..

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.


+1 :shock:

+ 2 that's my guess
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8695
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby MREJ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 pm

It always seems that there is more rubbish on the surface somehow.
2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE
User avatar
MREJ
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm

why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby Kenzo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Comedian wrote:
kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.


Yep...I'm plus one on that!

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.

this comedian tells the truth...
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm

kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.


Not an issue with my Gators in the wet. The sideways sliding action in the turns scrapes the carp off :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25772
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm

jules21 wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:
Comedian wrote:..snip..

I also think that the water acts as a lubricant for the glass to cut it's way through.


+1 :shock:

+ 2 that's my guess


That is what would have allows a chip of quartz to slice through my tire yesterday where as in the dry......

- David.
User avatar
DavidL
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am
Location: Ballarat, Vic

why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby Yagan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Water acts as a cutting lubricant. When cutting any rubber it can be hard dry. Add water and knife of scissors go straight through. When cutting conveyor belt I used to use spray and wipe. The moisture makes a massive difference. Where dry rubber will roll over a stone or glass. If your tyres are wet the glass will go straight through. Try it with a old tube and scissors and see for yourself.
Yagan
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:45 pm
Location: Perth

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am

Hrm. I don't notice any difference with punctures wet or dry, as I never get them. Schwalbe Marathons here.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:
kb wrote:My guess is surface tension of the water on the tire lets small objects adhere for longer.


Not an issue with my Gators in the wet. The sideways sliding action in the turns scrapes the carp off :mrgreen:

Yep, them goldfish are pesky critters. Although you'd think they'd make a nice snack. Maybe the 'gators are fussy about thin sharp bones. ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10299
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Water is to rubber, as oil is to metal.
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Yagan wrote:Water acts as a cutting lubricant. When cutting any rubber it can be hard dry. Add water and knife of scissors go straight through. When cutting conveyor belt I used to use spray and wipe. The moisture makes a massive difference. Where dry rubber will roll over a stone or glass. If your tyres are wet the glass will go straight through. Try it with a old tube and scissors and see for yourself.

+1. Another example: watch your windscreen wipers bump and screech if you turn them on with a dry windscreen. Or compare dragging a squeegee across a dry window v's wet window. That's why wet roads are the puncture fairies' playground.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:41 am

Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

Gee you guys have certainly made me feel better about being a wimp for not riding during wet and cold Melbourne winter days.

At least now I can stop using the "my CF frame will melt in the rain" or “my CF frame might crack when it is really cold” excuse. :lol:
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby master6 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 am

greyhoundtom wrote:Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

Gee you guys have certainly made me feel better about being a wimp for not riding during wet and cold Melbourne winter days.

At least now I can stop using the "my CF frame will melt in the rain" or “my CF frame might crack when it is really cold” excuse. :lol:


You might be the worlds best tyre changer ght; please dont be offended by my suggestion.
I have seen lots of people change tubes on the roadside, and I cringe in 90% of cases. The vast majority of people are hopeless. Last week was a typical case. My mate punctured, and I bit my tongue while he changed tubes. Five km down the road "i've got another flat" he moaned. I was not surprised.
Time to bring out one of my spare tubes for him. This time I gave my tongue an easy run, and insisted on doing the change myself. Some people might call me a smartarse; honestly, I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

View the bit of wet weather as an opportunity to polish your tube changing game :D
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:40 pm

master6 wrote:I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

Just another case of the "give them fish" v's "teach them to fish" argument ? Sure, the latter is lots more difficult, but
in the long run, it's more effective. Is it worth thinking of the next wet weather puncture as an opportunity to
work on some teaching skills ? And carry some good quality glueless patches to fix any pinch-flat problems etc.,.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby master6 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 pm

wombatK wrote:
master6 wrote:I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

Just another case of the "give them fish" v's "teach them to fish" argument ? Sure, the latter is lots more difficult, but
in the long run, it's more effective. Is it worth thinking of the next wet weather puncture as an opportunity to
work on some teaching skills ? And carry some good quality glueless patches to fix any pinch-flat problems etc.,.


Are you the politician with "wayward" Cabcharge Vouchers"? :D
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:08 pm

master6 wrote:Are you the politician with "wayward" Cabcharge Vouchers"? :D

Wish I were - then I'd never have to walk home if my teaching efforts
failed :D
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby tomdex » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm

master6 wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Well there you go.............another good reason for not riding in the rain or on wet roads. :mrgreen:

Gee you guys have certainly made me feel better about being a wimp for not riding during wet and cold Melbourne winter days.

At least now I can stop using the "my CF frame will melt in the rain" or “my CF frame might crack when it is really cold” excuse. :lol:


You might be the worlds best tyre changer ght; please dont be offended by my suggestion.
I have seen lots of people change tubes on the roadside, and I cringe in 90% of cases. The vast majority of people are hopeless. Last week was a typical case. My mate punctured, and I bit my tongue while he changed tubes. Five km down the road "i've got another flat" he moaned. I was not surprised.
Time to bring out one of my spare tubes for him. This time I gave my tongue an easy run, and insisted on doing the change myself. Some people might call me a smartarse; honestly, I am more comfortable being modest, but what do you do? Stuff all your spare tubes and get the cab home?

View the bit of wet weather as an opportunity to polish your tube changing game :D

Perhaps you could explain what 90% of people do wrong (or could do better!) when changing a tube on the roadside?
Forgive me, but your comment proves that you are an 'arrogant smartarse' and not willing (or able) to tell your 'mate' where he could improve his skills...............
Cheers, Tom Dexter

Image
Image
User avatar
tomdex
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 pm

tomdex wrote: you are an 'arrogant smartarse' and not willing (or able) to tell your 'mate' where he could improve his skills...............



W ait A while. I gave him a demonstration on June 10 ,2012. That was three months ago. :D

As they say, W ait A while.
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why more punctures on wet roads?

Postby slipperysucker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Reminds me of a visit to W.A. They were slow, and unhelpful. $2 a day is about their value.
slipperysucker
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gness, holywater, thamete



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit