A new folly...

Stuey

Re: A new folly...

Postby Stuey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey guys, any idea how they get paint to stick to chrome? Special prep?

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Stuey wrote:Hey guys, any idea how they get paint to stick to chrome? Special prep?
Chromovelato is just tinted clear. Stick to chrome? Doesn't do it that well and soon comes off which is why seeing a pristine example such as RonK's is especially alluring.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 pm

spirito wrote:
RonK wrote: Can't see any blue cromovelato frames anywhere though...
Prolly because Mario & Alfonso made it, took it out the back door and decided to sit on it for 30 or so years just to be sure they wouldn't get busted :wink: :lol:
A big box finally arrived today, and once unpacked and inspected it's obvious that Mario and Alfonso must have been master craftsmen, and then they hid it away in perfect storage conditions. :lol:

The condition of the Chesini is as good as promised by the pictures, but it's even better in the flesh, and feels soooo light. I'll weigh it as soon as I can get a new battery for my scale.

BTW, if anyone is interested there is a another of these on eBay, in red, but in a size larger than mine. The red looks every bit as gorgeous as the blue.

Seat tube 57,5 cm (c-c)
Top tube 56,5 cm (c-c)
Weight frame 1970gr, fork 770gr

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 am

Good grief - a few weeks ago I passed on a bid for a complete NOS NIB Super Record brakeset which eventually sold for $510 - only about $30 more than my maximum bid.

So I tried again on a complete NOS NIB Super Record Cobalto brakeset, upping my maximum bid by more than $100. I gave up when the price quickly reached $700, but ultimately the bidding reached $909.

So I'm kicking myself now that I didn't raise the ante on the first item. :(

Ah well, hopefully another opportunity will come along...no rush anyway.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 pm

RonK wrote:

I used to see one of those in well-used condition parked in the front window of Bar 9 in Parkside, Adelaide, when I caught the morning bus outside till recently. One of the baristas rides it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:01 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
RonK wrote:

I used to see one of those in well-used condition parked in the front window of Bar 9 in Parkside, Adelaide, when I caught the morning bus outside till recently. One of the baristas rides it.
I had no idea any were sold here, but there have been a few reports like yours so there must have been a few.
Apparently they were very popular in Europe and were also sold under a Dutch bike name.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 pm

spirito wrote:
Stuey wrote:Hey guys, any idea how they get paint to stick to chrome? Special prep?
Chromovelato is just tinted clear. Stick to chrome? Doesn't do it that well and soon comes off which is why seeing a pristine example such as RonK's is especially alluring.
this is my somec chromovelato, they dont use a primer over the chrome so thats why they all chip off like mine. :) Beautiful pantos and cutouts and it would've looked mint when it came out but not now! rechroming and respraying will cost an arm and a leg! ps. this is the previous sellers photo.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Very nice - the colour is almost a match for my Chesini. And despite the missing paint, because it is chrome underneath it still looks good, but with patina...

steel-is-real

Get that pantographed Chesini stuff......

Postby steel-is-real » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi there,

An X-Uno even made it to New Zealand, I purchased it in 2007 off another Kiwi as a frame only. Over the last many years it has been a continual troll of the internet, mainy ebay as well a few other sources to try and secure NOS "Chesini" pantographed parts.
Many of these parts have gone for insane amounts money, some I have won - but many I have lost, including this beauty I have never seen again......

The X-Uno is complete - although I still and source more pantographed items to further complete this build. Part of the fun has been the chase.

Good luck with you Chesini build, I look forward to seeing some progress shots.

Cheers.

harcs

Postby harcs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I have just bought a Chesini frame and forks as well. My delemer is finding out what model and year. My research on google says it is a X-Uno SLPX about 1985? I haven't got the frame yet so cannot inspect for numbers ect. The X UNO is on the rear brake bracket. Are Chesini in Italy any help? I rode a 1940 Malvern Star "Oppy Racer" in the Noosa Eroica this year so hope to be riding the Chesini next year.

ldrcycles

Re: Get that pantographed Chesini stuff......

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm

steel-is-real wrote:

That is spectacular, so cool :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 am

Hi, yes I think I have seen and read about your Chesini in the www. It looks fantastic, I hope I can get mine looking as good.

As it happens I am in NZ touring right now, and about to head for Te Anau via Mavora Lakes.

My Chesini project has been pushed aside by preparations for this tour, so no progress recently, but as you say, many of the parts I'd like have sold for very high prices.