How often should inner tubes be replaced?

arkle

How often should inner tubes be replaced?

Postby arkle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:45 am

This morning my back inner tube suddenly popped as I was riding along, and when I took it off to fix the puncture it literally tore in half in my hands (difficult to repair). Nothing had come through the tyre so I guess that the rubber of the inner tube had simply perished over time? I don't want this happening to the front tyre going round a corner so I'm going to replace both tubes proactively. How long should they last? Does anyone replace them on a schedule?

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

bychosis

Re: How often should inner tubes be replaced?

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I have successfully inflated tubes from bikes from the 80's. Tubes could be newer, but the tyres were of the original era. Tubes are out of sunlight (unlike tyres) and in a relatively stable atmosphere (enclosed in tyre) so should last ages. Maybe yours had a manufacturing fault.

I generally only replace mine when I have to patch next to a patch or there is valve problems or multiple holes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Did it rip cause it was breaking down or did it rip because it stuck to the tyre?

I have ripped a tube because it was stuck to the inside of the tyre (I believe the solution to this is to use some talc powder)

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 pm

eeksll wrote:Did it rip cause it was breaking down or did it rip because it stuck to the tyre?

I have ripped a tube because it was stuck to the inside of the tyre (I believe the solution to this is to use some talc powder)
Yes I always use talcum powder too. I took it off and pumped it up a bit to see where the hole was, found it, deflated the tube, roughened the area around the hole ready for the patch, and it tore in half.

Result - one very long rubber tube open at both ends.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 pm

they should last a long time. the cause of your tear was just as likely a latent manufacturing defect.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 am

If the tube was too small for the tyre then it could have been over-stretched. I've had one let go because of this.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:09 pm

arkle wrote: roughened the area around the hole ready for the patch, and it tore in half.

Excessive roughening can thin a tube to the point of failure