Brake Cables, whats the go?

ratter

Brake Cables, whats the go?

Postby ratter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 am

I'm presently collecting parts to put a bike together, it's a 2012 TCR advanced SL in Rabobank colors, most likely will have Di2 on it but just have questions re brake cables and not gear cables.

I have learnt that you get what you pay for, well most the time you do anyway, I can't expect a real cheap item to be as good as a more expensive item which leads me to my questions.

Do I purchase outers and inners as 1 item?
What brands should I be looking at?
If recommend to purchase separately, again what brands?
I think I may want to use either white, blue or even orange outers (to match the frame colors) does this change peoples recommendations?
if you purchase outers separately, do you by it by the length i.e a meter or do you have the choice of just purchasing the length you require?

Thanks for any help

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Brake Cables, whats the go?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am

If you're laying down that much folding, go Nokon or something similar.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:If you're laying down that much folding, go Nokon or something similar.
My mechanic winges whenever I give him a set of those to install :-)

I use them or similar if we are building a TT bike as they end to bend the cables up more - on a road bike I try to stick with genuine Shimano ones - they are very good and I've never had one break which I guess is a pretty good thing!
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

When you buy the Di2 levers they will come with cables included.
Nothing wrong with standard shimano cables

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 pm

ime, any cable will work fine until it gets dirt inside the housing, or water/corrosion. proper care can make $2 cables work well.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:31 pm

If you want non-compression and colours, then Jagwire Ripcord I've heard are good. I've got something similar in construction (but don't come in colours) and they improved the lever feel of my disc brake.
http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/product ... Brake_Kits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;