Has anyone ridden from Omeo to Jindabyne?

thecaptn

Has anyone ridden from Omeo to Jindabyne?

Postby thecaptn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever ridden from Omeo to Jindabyne?

If so can you recall which roads you used and what the terrain is like?

We're planning a tour in this region thereabouts for november and I'm wondering how hard it is to ride to Jindabyne as I've never been there.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

WarrenH

Re: Has anyone ridden from Omeo to Jindabyne?

Postby WarrenH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Michael Rogers, rode this route from Omeo to Thredbo ... and from Thredbo it is basically downhill all the way to Jindabyne.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 86117&v=V2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possibly not the route that you're contemplating but interesting, never the less.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 pm

WarrenH wrote:Michael Rogers, rode this route from Omeo to Thredbo ... and from Thredbo it is basically downhill all the way to Jindabyne.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 86117&v=V2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possibly not the route that you're contemplating but interesting, never the less.

Warren.
Whoa that's some hard riding.

We're having to rethink our choice of venue due to the damage that's been done to the roads and campgrounds up that way by the wet weather as it turns out.

We'll stay away from the really isolated roads. Tomorrow we're catching up to plan afresh.

I'll comment on what we come up with when we've decided on it, any thoughts?
Pete

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:59 pm

That route as described is the very hard way. Bindi, Poplars etc, only for the very adventurous on a bike, tough enough in a 4WD.
I'd suggest Omeo-Benambra on the sealed main road, not much traffic any time of year. Very scenic ride, overlooking the Omeo Valley as you ascend Macmillans Lookout, big climb but good road, then dead flat . From Benambra take the Limestone-Black Mountain Road to Wulgulmerang, good campsites along the way eg. Limestone and Native Dog, or anywhere along the way for that matter. The road is dirt but well maintained and not many vehicles, only a few relatively small, but still hard climbs. Wulgulmerang-Suggan Buggan, dirt again and very steep though mostly downhill into the Snowy. From Willis onwards I am not overly familiar with, though from memory its very steep, and mostly all dirt.
Be well prepared and plan carefully, it is quite a remote area and the weather can become extreme, very fast.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:04 am

Pete, G'day again.

Here is another route, taken by Graeme Challis from Canada, in Feb 2011. Early Feb' 2011 was hot. This is the section Graeme rode from Tom Groggin to Omeo. Ridden in the reverse of your direction but far less difficult than the BNT.

Tom Groggin Station is at the bottom of the climb to Thredbo on the Murray River. Graeme's torturous climb of Mount Pinnabar will be downhill for you, of course. With the swinging bridge crossing at Tom Groggin Station, the grazier doesn't mind it being used if the river is up or flowing fast or difficult to cross, if travellers are not used to wet river crossings. This gives two options for crossing the Murray at Tom Groggin.

The Incomprehensible Blend pages 137 to 139 ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 79346&v=R5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 am

Tim wrote:That route as described is the very hard way. Bindi, Poplars etc, only for the very adventurous on a bike, tough enough in a 4WD.
I'd suggest Omeo-Benambra on the sealed main road, not much traffic any time of year. Very scenic ride, overlooking the Omeo Valley as you ascend Macmillans Lookout, big climb but good road, then dead flat . From Benambra take the Limestone-Black Mountain Road to Wulgulmerang, good campsites along the way eg. Limestone and Native Dog, or anywhere along the way for that matter. The road is dirt but well maintained and not many vehicles, only a few relatively small, but still hard climbs. Wulgulmerang-Suggan Buggan, dirt again and very steep though mostly downhill into the Snowy. From Willis onwards I am not overly familiar with, though from memory its very steep, and mostly all dirt.
Be well prepared and plan carefully, it is quite a remote area and the weather can become extreme, very fast.
We were hoping to follow that route but it seems there has been quite a bit of flood damage around there. Same deal north of Suggan Buggan. At least that's according to the Parks Vic web site but not sure if it is up to date.
We're now thinking of heading up through Buchan and Gelantipy then across McKillops and back down through Goongerah. Is there anywhere to camp midway between McKillops and Goongerah? Otherwise it looks like a hard days ride
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am

Ken, I can confirm that Omeo-Benambra-Wulgulmerang (or Suggan Buggan) is navigable. I was staying in Gelantipy about a month ago (not cycling) and whilst we didn't travel as far as Benambra (Limestone Rd) I ran into people I knew that had come from Omeo and the road is open. We only drove a few k's north of Suggan Buggan, and McKillops Bridge and the roads are all OK, although they were working on section of the Mckillops Rd. where it drops down into the Snowy. Not sure of further north. Spectacular country, Little River Gorge, Snowy River etc. If you do ride Mckillops Rd make sure you take the small detour off the road to view the Little River Falls and then a bit further down the road, Little River Gorge and Wulgulmerang Falls from the platform. (I walked up the Gorge 10 years ago, took 2.5 days to walk/climb 14km's, THE most rugged country I've ever walked).
I think your idea of Buchan-Gelantipy-McKillops is best. I wouldn't recommend riding the Great Alpine Rd between Bruthen and Ensay if you take the Omeo option, lots of traffic including log trucks going up to the Swifts Creek mill at the moment. Very narrow in places and some tight blind bends that a B Double can only just get around. Not much room for cars, trucks and bikes. Good accommodation in Gelantipy, Karoonda Park, if you need a shower and/or a warm bed and meal. No civilisation between Gelantipy and Goongerah (can you call a Goongera hippy civilised?) so need to be self supported.
I don't imagine campsites between Mckillops Bridge and Goongerah would be a problem, lots of bush and plenty of water in all the streams along that route, though I haven't traveled that way in some time.
Last edited by Tim on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 am

Tim, I hadn't realized that you had posted while I was constructing my post.

Ken G'day. Does it have to be an official campsite to camp? Not many campsites but there's a lot of wild country to choose from.

There is a campsites with toilets at Little River Junction. The turnoff to Little River Junction is about 5 kilometres past the turnoff to Little River Gorge. The campsite is about 3 kilometres off McKillops Road.
There is a campsite with toilets at McKillops Bridge, then the next official campsite with toilets is at Goongerah camping ground.

There are several picnic sites at Little River Falls and McKillops Bridge.
... and at Amboyne Suspension Bridge.
... and just before reaching Tubbut and at Tubbut.
Just before the junction with the Mount Tingaringy Track.
About a kilometre before Cabanandra.
At about 500m along the Dellicknora Road which is off McKillops Road.
Then at the town of Bonang, then nothing officially manmade until Goongarah.

By the way ... WHERE THE HELL IS McKILLOPS BRIDGE was the first touring tee-shirt that I bought. Little River Gorge is very specy too.

McKillops Bridge was the longest and highest wooden bridge on the planet once, until the big flood (1930s?) ... now it is called an "all weather crossing."

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 am

WarrenH wrote:McKillops Bridge was the longest and highest wooden bridge on the planet once, until the big flood (1930s?) ... now it is called an "all weather crossing."
If you look closely at the supporting columns from down below you can see where the bridge was reconstructed and raised about an extra 20 feet in height (at a guess) after the floods. There is a visible join in each of the concrete supports.

Oops, forgot about Bonang, yes there is civilisation between Gelantipy and Goongerh. Haven't been there in a long time.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Tim, Warren - thanks for your help
So it looks like it'll be Orbost-Buchan-Karoonda Park-McKillops Bridge-just before Cabanandra-Goongerah-Orbost
We are equipped for rough camping when needed and these stops will give us lots of time for sightseeing.
On a previous tour we stayed at Goongerah and went up through Bonang so looking forward to heading downhill this time.
In researching I found a useful website http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShar ... stexplorer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which shows regions of State Forest and National Parks amongst other things
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Some handy info on the above link, thanks Ken.
I've found the map on this page to be very useful in the past. The tours are aimed at 4WD'ers, but there is some good info on road conditions, campsites etc. Covers all the area you'll be traveling.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/recreation-an ... road-tours

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

Tim wrote:
WarrenH wrote:McKillops Bridge was the longest and highest wooden bridge on the planet once, until the big flood (1930s?) ... now it is called an "all weather crossing."
If you look closely at the supporting columns from down below you can see where the bridge was reconstructed and raised about an extra 20 feet in height (at a guess) after the floods. There is a visible join in each of the concrete supports.
Apparently the 1973 flood rose to about 1m below the road deck. When you look at the valley this is a HUGE volume of water

Re. The route to Jindabyne. I believe the Limestone Rd has a VERY steep climb to get up to the Cobberas turn-off. Another possible route would be to go from Benambra north over Sassafras Gap and down the Nariel Valley to Corryong, then follow the Alpine Way to Geehi, Tom Groggin and climb Dead Horse Gap to Thredbo. Just an idea.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm

il padrone wrote:Re. The route to Jindabyne. I believe the Limestone Rd has a VERY steep climb to get up to the Cobberas turn-off. Another possible route would be to go from Benambra north over Sassafras Gap and down the Nariel Valley to Corryong, then follow the Alpine Way to Geehi, Tom Groggin and climb Dead Horse Gap to Thredbo. Just an idea.
The profile I worked out for Limestone Rd shows the last climb to Cobberas is about 300m over 5.4km but in sections it kicks up to 12% so not impossibly steep. Of course reality may be different to what is on paper :)
I must admit I'm not real keen on the Alpine way from Khancoban to Thredbo. Drove along there in 2009 and was thinking at the time was that it was a fast traffic road due to the good surface, with blind corners and nowhere to bail out in a tight spot. But again, it might be different view from the bike
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Sorry about the bum steer re the Limestone Road steepness. I've never actually ridden it. Don't notice the big hills in a nice comfy steel cocoon. :D
It is reasonably flat over large sections from Benambra to Wulgulmerang.