2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

pauls51

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby pauls51 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Haven't done ATB in 6+ years but after signing up to the 250 i'm sure the excitement will all come back to me.. What is like nowadays? I was invovled in a failry big crash 7 years ago (thanks to the rider who after overtaking, clipped the leader of my group) and chose to sit on the sidelines for a while...

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 am

Will be great to see you back into things pauls51

I am still recovering from a sore and bruised knee after falling off my bike knee cap first into the tarmac. I think its filled up with fluid so it is a bit sore. Strangely enough it doesn't hurt when I ride.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I managed to convinced a mate to join ATB... But as the consequence, i will have to ride MFM 100k with him. Doesn't matter... Probably best to ride on the short one for my first ATB anyway.

Done my first 100km ride today... Yay! Trained today with yarravalleyplodder, very nice guy and fast! :-) sorry if I slowed you down, mate. But honestly, it was really great today to ride with you.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Kimmie, Likewise it was nice to ride with someone. I didnt realise I was quick, I am so used to seeing people pass me :)

Congrats on your first 100, onwards and upwards from now on.

Well I completed my first double ton yesterday and I dont feel too bad today. I have some pretty good sratches on my legs, I had 2 clip stacks yesterday :oops:

1 trying to reach for the pedestrain lights and the second near Luna Park anticipating a green light. Manged to put a hole in my top and band new overshoes :evil:

Oh well my eating plan worked and I managed to cover 203km in 8:31 with 1810m of climbing. My average speed was only 23.8km but that include a trip up to skyhigh and both the eastlink and eastern fwy trails, I find they are a bit slower but I was also starting to fade on the eastern fwy trail, especially between mitcham and ringwood.

anyway I am now confident I can complete the ABD 250km strongly and maintain a 30km/h av to Queenscliff and a 25km/h average from Sorrento back into Melbourne
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Fantastic - well done YVP!
The ATB is going to be a "ride" in the park for you...LOL

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks Dave, I am now happy that I have done enough its just now keeping the fitness for the next month. The last thing I wanted was to be 150km in cursing the ride wishing I had never done it, now all going well I will come home strong and give a good account of myself.

Did you get out there yesterday? It was a good day for it
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I just checked the ATB page and saw the registration plate you have to attach to the handle bars of your bike. That's a hell of an aerodynamic drag that want to add to your bike there. Especially when people pay thousands to reduce drag on their bikes. I may lose mine about 5 km in..........

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 pm

I did get out but only had time for 85km's - which when I referred to this at work today as a "shortish ride", my colleagues laughed and thought I was crazy.

Hoping to do a few longer rides over the coming weekends (and my local club is doing a 100+km ATB training ride at the end of September - which should be a bit of fun).
If I can convince my legs I might even ride to the start (about 20km's away), then ride home again afterwards (just to add an extra 40km's).

I'd like to try and knock over 160km's before the event (which is only 30 more than I did two weeks ago), and I'm sure the rest will come on the day.

I was thinking back only 6-8 weeks ago riding 100km's seemed like such a HUGE ride but it's almost like anything shorter now doesn't cut it - LOL
Now a huge ride seems like 200+ km's but in another 6-12 months who knows, it may end up becoming a monthly challenge.

Dave

PS.. in 6-12 months time please don't remind me of my last statement 8)

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

You know what Dave your right, 100km almost seems like a pass mark for a decent day in the saddle :D

This time last year I rode to my mums place, it was 67km, it seemed so far away and I was pretty pleased with myself in getting there. Now I do a 62km ride every week and I see it as a training ride. I am starting to see a run up the 1:20 as a starter and I am thinking I need to add the wall in so its a good day of climbing. My wife thinks I am quite mad :shock:

I plan to do a 100km ride every month next year and I am thinking of setting a 4000km target for 2013. I dont commute so it might be a bit of a challenge for me.

If you do a 160km ride before hand you will be fine for the day, especially if your riding solo. I have spoken with a few people who have done it and you cant help but be in a bunch and that will save some energy.

Interesting you might ride there, can you catch the train home?

I am staying at my mums who now lives in Glen Iris, according to map my ride its 10km from the starting point so its a nice warm up :lol: I am planning on then catching the train back to Lilydale, I am not that keen on a 300km day :wink:
Last edited by yarravalleyplodder on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

drcolossus1 wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I just checked the ATB page and saw the registration plate you have to attach to the handle bars of your bike. That's a hell of an aerodynamic drag that want to add to your bike there. Especially when people pay thousands to reduce drag on their bikes. I may lose mine about 5 km in..........
Yep I have mine in my race pack, its going to flap about and make plenty of noise, not sure it will slow me down, but I am sure it will annoy me :evil:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote: Interesting you might ride there, can you catch the train home?
Sorry, I meant I might ride to meet the local club for the local training ride at the end of Sept.
I'm not quite that mad to ride 35km's into the CBD then do the 210km and then ride home - yet!

For the ATB event I thankfully work in the city so I'll park my car at work and ride across to the Gardens, then after the event I'll ride (or walk my bike...LOL) back to work and then drive home (or pass out in the first aid room).

Dave

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

We did a 130km ride on Saturday arvo and a 95km on Sunday morning - 225km in 24 hour period and felt good Sunday evening and yesterday :)

Average speed 26.9kph, average heart rate 140bpm......

Lots of stretching but all good.....

On a recumbent trike ! Look out for either a black recumbent trike or a velomobile on RTB day !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blatant

Postby blatant » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 am

Struggling to get the hours and KMs in for this one. Did 65k on Sunday which is the furthest I've ever gone (I was aiming for 100k). Hilly course though. Hopefully ATB is relatively flat for most of it..
I averaged 24km/h which seems slow - I'd like to be able to do 30+ on a flat course for several hours (that's my goal for a half ironman coming up) and I wasn't puffed - HR average of 130, but I do realise I probably need something more than electrolytes for fuel on a 2hr+ session. I felt a bit burnt at the end, and although I know I could spin all day I think I hit the wall perhaps physically perhaps mentally.
That said I did a 30km run the day before which left my legs in less than perfect condition.

I was aiming to do 100 and build up to about 180km leading into ATB, now I think I'll be glad if I can do a few centuries. I'm feeling stupidly under prepared and wondering if I should change to the 100km event instead of the 210km

edit: maybe I need to go with someone for motivation

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:52 am

You guys seem to be getting in some solid training.. Judging by all the posts i'm certain you all would comfortably complete the 250 without any dramas!!!!!..

Blatant the course is not hard at all,95% of it is flat / hard flats.... There are a few climbs but that is about it... From experience you will regret changing down from the 210...

vaxwell

Postby vaxwell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 pm

kimmie wrote:I managed to convinced a mate to join ATB... But as the consequence, i will have to ride MFM 100k with him. Doesn't matter... Probably best to ride on the short one for my first ATB anyway.
Hey Kimmie, I'll be doing the MFM 100k this year too! :) Unfortunately the few people I know that are doing the ride have signed up for the 235k version, so I'll be going solo. I did the S-M 100k last year and really enjoyed it, but asking my ex to drive me to Sorento at 5am didn't really sit well with him year lol. I can catch the train/ride to Melbourne so it's a lot bit easier.

Would you and your friend like to catch up for a training ride some time? I'm always looking for more people to ride with. I live in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs.

(P.S. that invitation goes out to anyone reading this. :) I'm about to check out the threads to find some local groups to ride with)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:58 pm

pauls51 wrote:Blatant the course is not hard at all,95% of it is flat / hard flats....
HERE is a map on Bikely from Sorrento to Melbourne.
If you click on Show, then Elevation Profile you will see that the route between Frankston and Mornington is where the hills are - otherwise it's pretty flat.

Anyone looking to do some training before the big day you could always drive to Frankston and then ride from there to Dromana and back.
This will give you an idea of the hillier parts of the route (from both directions) so you know what to expect on the day.

I'm thinking of doing this sometime over the next few weekends (maybe Frankston to Sorrento and return).

Dave

ashleyk

Postby ashleyk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 pm

The bulk of the hills are between Frankston and Dromana, however there are really only two that I (slow weekend rider) find difficult.

1. Is going up olivers hill, which is the one from Frankston beach up to Mt Eliza, steep but relatively short.
2. Is the Briars in Mt Martha. It is quite long and steep and dangerous when heading towards Frankston as the road turns into a corner and narrow bridge at the bottom of a long steep hill. Combined with a relatively side road entering at the bridge.

There are a few smallish hill between Mornington and Frankston, but with the exception of the above they are pretty easy.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:58 pm

I think I might try and park the car down around Brighton and ride to Sorrento and back at some point before the race...

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 am

Doing basically the first half of the ride this Saturday - from Alexander Gardens to Rye (checking out the natural hot springs, then staying the night).
Planning to leave about 10AM, feel free to contact me if interested in joining me for any part of the ride!

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 am

Howdy vaxwell...

Fine by me... :-) I will PM you ahead in case I am heading that route again in the coming weekends...

Cheers

Ben
vaxwell wrote:
kimmie wrote:I managed to convinced a mate to join ATB... But as the consequence, i will have to ride MFM 100k with him. Doesn't matter... Probably best to ride on the short one for my first ATB anyway.
Hey Kimmie, I'll be doing the MFM 100k this year too! :) Unfortunately the few people I know that are doing the ride have signed up for the 235k version, so I'll be going solo. I did the S-M 100k last year and really enjoyed it, but asking my ex to drive me to Sorento at 5am didn't really sit well with him year lol. I can catch the train/ride to Melbourne so it's a lot bit easier.

Would you and your friend like to catch up for a training ride some time? I'm always looking for more people to ride with. I live in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs.

(P.S. that invitation goes out to anyone reading this. :) I'm about to check out the threads to find some local groups to ride with)
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

Lee6

Postby Lee6 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 am

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster (out of necessity I'm afraid...)

I have an entry for the 210km M-Q-S-M with ferry (that has been sold out for a while now), that I'm unable to use thanks to injury.

I notified the organisers but as its now after the date for refunds, my only option is to sell it and they suggested I try it on here.
I'm not sure if people can PM me (as a new user) or if they should contact me via this forum?

Cheers, Lee

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am

Lee6 wrote:Hi all, long time reader, first time poster (out of necessity I'm afraid...)

I have an entry for the 210km M-Q-S-M with ferry (that has been sold out for a while now), that I'm unable to use thanks to injury.

I notified the organisers but as its now after the date for refunds, my only option is to sell it and they suggested I try it on here.
I'm not sure if people can PM me (as a new user) or if they should contact me via this forum?

Cheers, Lee
What an unfortunate thing to happen. I'm sorry to hear. I am sure someone will snap that up on here. I may even suggest putting it up in the For Sale section.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Lee6 wrote:Hi all, long time reader, first time poster (out of necessity I'm afraid...)

Cheers, Lee
Hi mate!
i might be interested in this, what would be the asking price? I need to have a look at my schedule though.
would i get an event jersey? ( not that it matters, but it'd be cool )

let me know mate!

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:17 pm

zakka101 wrote:
Iwould i get an event jersey? ( not that it matters, but it'd be cool )
You will need the jersey as I believe they are mandatory this year..

Lee6

Postby Lee6 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for your advice and interest guys.

I'm hoping to sell it for what I paid (it's 'as new, never used' :) ), which was $180, and yes, the jersey is part of that. I'd ordered a size xxs but this can be changed...