Bike Gallery

Howzat

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby Howzat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Time to share my bikes - first up the carbon-fibre lightweight wonder. Fun to ride, it just seems like it wants to accelerate on its own. Sometimes the clean, look-ma-no-cables design of the handlebars & shifters makes me feel like my hands could slip over the top of the hoods - I'll have put finger-shaped dents into the handlbars after a few more descents.

Also my steampunk heavyweight lemon-yellow classic Apollo III. Surprisingly nimble, even though they don't make frames from cast-iron any more. It's all original apart from the handlebar tape, the saddle and the pedals, and I still have the saddle and pedals.

In retrospect, it probably wasn't such a good business move from Apollo to make bikes that last 25 years with minimal maintenance.

A lot of people have these as ironic hipster retro-cool bikes. But I bought this brand new way back when phone numbers still had six digits.

Not sure if I can claim retro hipster points if I was there at the time. :roll:

The Cycle Inn isn't there any more, but put a 62 in front of that number and you'll get through to TLC Cycles in Phillip, just around the corner from the original store where I bought this.
Last edited by Howzat on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Here is my Cannondale Six Carbon 5 - 2009 56cm

I bought it close to bog-stock (105 5600) secondhand last year to help me post knee-reco to keep weight off while I couldn't run. I'm notorious for upgrading things, so I have put a fair bit of work (and money) into it:

Changed the original alloy steerer tubed fork to synapse full carbon (Self painted)

Pressed out the BB30 to BSA adaptor put in by cannondale and popped on an SRAM red BB30 crank, mated to Dura Ace 7900 and Ultegra 6700.

And added alot of ritchey wcs kit to it.

Never got around to doing the wheels :cry: which was sad considering how hefty (but reliable) the Fulcrum 7's are.

I got it from 9.2kg down to 7.8kg as pictured, and as my first roadie I came to really like the Cannondales..

Then I got a bargain and now i'm finalising a frame swap and my next baby is due to roll out of the skunkworks next week :)

snark

Postby snark » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Howzat wrote:Time to share my bikes - first up the carbon-fibre lightweight wonder. Fun to ride, it just seems like it wants to accelerate on its own. Sometimes the clean, look-ma-no-cables design of the handlebars & shifters makes me feel like my hands could slip over the top of the hoods - I'll have put finger-shaped dents into the handlbars after a few more descents.

Nice bike (mine here :) ).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:05 am

Your bike has good balance

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 am

snark wrote:
Howzat wrote:Time to share my bikes - first up the carbon-fibre lightweight wonder. Fun to ride, it just seems like it wants to accelerate on its own. Sometimes the clean, look-ma-no-cables design of the handlebars & shifters makes me feel like my hands could slip over the top of the hoods - I'll have put finger-shaped dents into the handlbars after a few more descents.

Nice bike (mine here :) ).

Cheers,
Simon.
We have one in the stable to courtesy of my younger brother. They are nice, well made bikes. He is the same frame size as me but i haven't given it a go yet. They only change given to it was to remove the compact Apex crank and put on a 5700 non-compact to match the rest of the groupset.

A lot of people bang on the the treks but the madone's have grown on me. Nice, simple lines. The wheelset leaves a lot to be desired though!

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 am

New Commuter/shopping/touring bike....

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am

Chef wrote:New Commuter/shopping/touring bike....

Oooh, I like that one.

Racks, mudguards, drop bars and disk brakes. All on my list!

Do you have any details on the build? Frame, wheels, brakes, groupset, etc?

Cheers,
Dave
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:24 am

Ozkaban wrote:
Chef wrote:New Commuter/shopping/touring bike....

Oooh, I like that one.

Racks, mudguards, drop bars and disk brakes. All on my list!

Do you have any details on the build? Frame, wheels, brakes, groupset, etc?

Cheers,
Dave
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Hi,

The frame is a Surly Disc Trucker, Group is XT with bar ends and BB7 brakes. Wheels are hand built - Mavic 719 on SLX rear and SonDelux front. About $3k including some Brooks Lands End panniers - rides sweetly.

Cheers
Phil

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 am

TMjpn wrote:Here is my Cannondale Six Carbon 5 - 2009 56cm

I got it from 9.2kg down to 7.8kg as pictured, and as my first roadie I came to really like the Cannondales..
That's an awesome weight drop on a carbon bike.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Chef wrote:New ...shopping bike...

It must have been disappointing to take the new shopping bike out for its first ride, only to discover that you weren't able to dig up an worms to put in the panniers. Probably had to get takeaway that night Chef?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Chef wrote:New ...shopping bike...

It must have been disappointing to take the new shopping bike out for its first ride, only to discover that you weren't able to dig up an worms to put in the panniers. Probably had to get takeaway that night Chef?
although snake soup sounds like an option....

mezla

Postby mezla » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Ewwww, the orange reflectors! THEY BURNS MY EYES! (otherwise, nice bike, and nice use of fishing lines)

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Also my steampunk heavyweight lemon-yellow classic Apollo III. Surprisingly nimble, even though they don't make frames from cast-iron any more. It's all original apart from the handlebar tape, the saddle and the pedals, and I still have the saddle and pedals.

The Cycle Inn isn't there any more, but put a 62 in front of that number and you'll get through to TLC Cycles in Phillip, just around the corner from the original store where I bought this.
wow
most impressive positioning of dog and laundry basket so far ... bonus is that the dog is smiling
nice bike too btw

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Howzat wrote:
TMjpn wrote:Here is my Cannondale Six Carbon 5 - 2009 56cm

That's an awesome weight drop on a carbon bike.
Thanks!

The 09 Six is a great bike but made pretty heavy out of the shop. Most of the loss comes from just swapping the fork (originally >700g) to full carbon, and removing the bb30 adapter to make the most of the frame. There was half a kg in those 2 changes alone. The 2010 Six had these 2 revisons and it won bikeradar bike of the year, so i was kicking myself when I realised i passed up a chance to own one new for $400 more when i was originally looking!

The rest is pretty nominal stuff but it got to a point where i'd spent near what i'd bought the bike for originally and thought i might as well just buy a new bike. I don't have any real reason for shedding weight on it.. it's just when get a hobby going I get a bit caried away!

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm

nice bikes.
i get it, marto

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:38 pm

The latest addition to my fleet, another retro bike-----------

An '85 Repco Superlite,

I have to fix up the paint before acquiring the groupset & assembling the bike.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:46 pm

New bartape, Hudz, seat, chain, cable inners and test wheels:

Jim

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Not in full pro spec (as picked up on another forum!) -

2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 (love the Di2), Dura Ace 50mm wheels and a Garmin Edge 800. Otherwise nothing massive notable on there. And yes they are SPD pedals. ;) I had a knee reco two years back and like being able to get out of the pedals quick and easy.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

Where have all the washing baskets gone?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:10 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Where have all the washing baskets gone?
looks like greenery is the current trend.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:18 pm

familyguy wrote:New bartape, Hudz, seat, chain, cable inners and test wheels:

Jim
Great looking bike Jim. I noticed you have a few red spokes on your wheels, is this a standard design trait?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm

drnick79 wrote:Not in full pro spec (as picked up on another forum!) -

2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 (love the Di2), Dura Ace 50mm wheels and a Garmin Edge 800. Otherwise nothing massive notable on there. And yes they are SPD pedals. ;) I had a knee reco two years back and like being able to get out of the pedals quick and easy.

S
That looks gorgeous.. nothing wrong with the SPD's.. think of them as being a step away from some speedplay pedals.

Is it true with the Di2 that the front cage moves about even when your cross chaining to prevent rub?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
familyguy wrote:New bartape, Hudz, seat, chain, cable inners and test wheels:

Jim
Great looking bike Jim. I noticed you have a few red spokes on your wheels, is this a standard design trait?
The wheels are Swiss Side Heidi wheels that I'm giving a test run for the purpose of a BNA review. They come with two red/one white spoke, a la Swiss national flag colours. Weighed them yesterday as I put them on, and they're a full 300gr lighter than the Ksyrium Equipe's I currently run. Looking forward to giving them a climb test this weekend.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2012/01/intr ... wheelsets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

asmc

Postby asmc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi all,

New poster, long time lurker, just sharing my Boardman :)

Last edited by asmc on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cervélo Soloist Carbon SRAM Red

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 pm

warren.suen wrote: That looks gorgeous.. nothing wrong with the SPD's.. think of them as being a step away from some speedplay pedals.

Is it true with the Di2 that the front cage moves about even when your cross chaining to prevent rub?
Cheers for that, the pic did not scale the best when I look at it on my PC on the forum, here is a direct link - http://drnick.com.au/pics/prospeclol2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the front will auto trim as needed with changing the rear gears.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro