Rogue cyclists clocked at 89kmh

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Rogue cyclists clocked at 89kmh

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm

+1
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

by BNA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

BNA

Postby Oxford » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Oxford wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:They do apply in Qld.

not in Qld they don't, only apply to motor vehicle offences.
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 1999 wrote:demerit points offence means an offence, other than an offence committed by a person while riding a bicycle, against a provision mentioned in schedule 3.

<edit> didn't see find_bruce's post until I refreshed the screen.

I really wish the police would familiarse themselves with the laws they are supposed to enforce before going off half cocked. whilst the act is seemingly stupid and they deserve to be fined, demerit points do not apply and the police should know this. how many fines are actually issued by police that are not valid in some way I wonder? I'd say plenty going by this article.

I distinctly remember cyclists in Townsville being issued with fines including demerit points and licence suspensions for riding DUI along the Ross River and for not wearing helmets, however this was 10+ years ago. I must brush up on this me thinks.

tickets may have been issued, demerit points assigned, doesn't mean it was right. the police obviously have no idea and rely on the offender equally having no idea. hence when you get someone like me who challenges them on a point of law, they usually cannot justify their position. such as two weeks ago when I challenged a copper on the "splitting" as he called it, overtaking as I called it. he could not justify his position and realised as I challenged his position he could not validate it in the law. its just a shame that people have to often go to court to challenge something and are usually too scared to do it.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:19 pm

twizzle wrote:Gee, just the other week the police in (I think) SA had to have a major grovel (in the press no less) for booking a woman for using a mobile phone.... while pushing a pram. They have now realised that it is not a vehicle and she was not a driver. :?

Gee Twizz, you're a bit harsh in your assessment methinks. Rather than speak in hyperbole I think that you need to familiarize yourself with the story first.

"They have now realised..."? Your choice of words implies that they only see the stupidity of the action at this very late stage in the story, presumably after the media alerted them to it and embarrassed them.

Yes. It was a stupid action done by a cop, and certainly worth a chuckle at his expense. But the truth of the matter is it was quickly picked up by his own supervisors before it went anywhere, the ticket was cancelled and an apology issued to the woman. She accepted it.

The only "now" is that the media only "now" have found out about it - 16 months after it happened (in Mandurah WA btw). It was certainly no major grovel, it was not necessary.

"In the press no less."? And who else but the media would they talk to when the media raised it with them?

In view of the easy manner in which they caught and rectified a laughably stupid mistake I take from this story some relief. For stupidity I award two points against the police. For fixing it in the simplest cleanest no-fuss manner possible I give them back three.

And for light relief? Priceless! :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Howzat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 pm

KenGS wrote:Strava segment?

Clenbuterol overdose?
Howzat

Postby k-duck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 am

There's a very naughty part of me that thinks - 'those two blokes were having too much fun'.
And of course that kind of fun is not to be encouraged, at all, ever, anywhere. Bah humbug. :evil:
k-duck

Postby Chooka » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 am

Here's a bit of an update on this story:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/20 ... -bad-name/
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna
Chooka

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:51 am

I'm sure the Toowoomba Cycling fraternity are glad Mr Cosgrove spoke on there behalf regarding mandatory licensing and registration :roll:
Mrfenejeans

Postby Oxford » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Cycling enthusiast and owner of Bikeline Toowoomba Kerry Cosgrove said not wrote:"I believe there is some merit in mandatory licensing and registration for bike users."

"I would certainly support that push, but I do not know how the logistics of implementing it would work."
What a tosser. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about having him representing me as a cyclist. If he really wants to see his sales take a dive, keep pushing for bike registration. One, less people in general will buy a bike and two, those that do will not buy from him since he supported it.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

+1, though i wouldn't blame the store owner, he was probably just set upon by the journo and had words put in his mouth.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Kenzo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Meanwhile... in another part of T-town...
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/20 ... flash-duo/
Kenzo

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Kenzo wrote:Meanwhile... in another part of T-town...
http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/20 ... flash-duo/

classy
2012 Oppy A4 | 200x Hard tail Kona Blast Deluxe
KonaCommuter

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Exposed breasts should be registered!
Isn't this the LBS owner who got the Toowoomba crit track up and running? I think he's going to regret that story in such a small town.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:I'm sure the Toowoomba Cycling fraternity are glad Mr Cosgrove spoke on there behalf regarding mandatory licensing and registration :roll:

Alright all you Toowoomba based members. Own up! Which of you voted Mr Cosgrove your spokesman?

That little article will cost him sales.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Best I have managed is 67 in a 50 zone. Pushing for 70 :P
Paul B

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Hang them high... I am ashamed of such reckless naughtiness.
toolonglegs

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy