Handmade bike from Melboure

hurricanebert

Re: Handmade bike from Melboure

Postby hurricanebert » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the reply's.

I spoke with Bob Pratt and he said that some recent italian immigrant in Melbourne made a few of these for him, but he couldn't remember his name. Any ideas anyone?

The frame has campag drop out's, english BB threads, 27.2 seatpost. Fork is chromed with campag dropouts and reynolds stamped on it. Both fork and BB shell have 615 stamped on them. Pretty sure the frame is some sort of resonable steel, it's incredibly light and the tubes are approximately 0.020" and 0.030" thick - maybe reynolds like the fork?

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am

funnybike wrote:
Velo13 wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote: Thats one of the tecnotrat built ones , same as the europa badged imports.
Tecnotrat - yeah them's the ones.
Also commonly known as Tecnocrap, for fairly obvious reasons. :wink:
I think I just heard the sound of msg's bubble bursting.
I've seen these frames, as pg falk,oria and a manganese tube set as well as thelow end hitension. Specs exist online for all the data comparo. The ops blue frame looks to be a much better quality and desirable frame all round.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote: I've seen these frames, as pg falk,oria and a manganese tube set as well as thelow end hitension. Specs exist online for all the data comparo. The ops blue frame looks to be a much better quality and desirable frame all round.
Oops yeah, the faux Guerciotti hi-jacked the thread, or was it me?

Agreed, 27.2, campag drops, Reynolds crown, and a "serial number" on both forks and frame suggest reasonable quality. Still no idea who made it though .....

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Velo13 wrote: Still no idea who made it though .....
Well, the original owner insists the builder was Italian. Europa/technotrat is a possibility ... they did do some high end bikes. And John Abeni is Eruopa and is Italian. The wrapped seat stay's still throw me though ... never seen an Abeni/Europa with that style unless it was re-stickered (and there were many).

Who knows? Ask if Abeni rings a bell?
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 am

spirito wrote:wrapped seat stays
Yeah, they're a lot of work, a further indication this is a nice frame. I didn't ever see a Tecnotrat that had this detail (or any really - they were all exactly the same, apart from the occasional tubing and dropout deviations).

Honk

Postby Honk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:53 pm

Builders name for PEX is Robert Johnson, from Brisbane, also made for Rapello.