Cooper bikes

Ferrovelo

Cooper bikes

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I just stumbled across cooper bikes, via the local distributer who has them on ebay.
http://www.cooperbikes.com/bikes/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think they look pretty good for a modern/retro.
531, brooks, sturmey archer.
What do you reckon?

BRLVR.v2

Re: Cooper bikes

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Soulless mass produced OTR bikes.
Take the Reynolds sticker off and remove the haze from the eyes and they look like a mojo to me, with a little better spec of components.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Well I did ask what you thought.
No haze in my eyes, but I reckon they look to be a cut above much of what's out there and not bad value. Might try to check one out in person when I have a chance.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Soulless mass produced OTR bikes.
Take the Reynolds sticker off and remove the haze from the eyes and they look like a mojo to me, with a little better spec of components.
Well, I think that is a little harsh. They are mass produced but so were all the Italian stuff that people get all dewey eyed about on this forum.
I have seen one in the flesh (so to speak) and it seemed a competent build, nice paint with good components. Me personally I thought the Pashley standing next to it was way better value if you were going for a new/retro setup but I suppose it doesn't have that pseudo street cred - I owned a Mini Cooper (1071 'S' if anyone's interested) back in my youth and it's capabilities had nothing at all to do with cycling :wink:
Cheers
Richard

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 pm

I'd be happy to own one, and very nearly did a couple of years ago.

They are what they are - shamelessly retro but quite good quality and reasonable value.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

The monza, Sebring and spa are Reynolds 520 and the T200 C50 and the Reims are 531 tubing. I have various models on display at my restaurant in Brisbane at discounted prices if anyone is interested in having a look. They obviously would be bought through the Distributor direct and that is where the invoice comes from.

Cheers

Anthony

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm

T200 C50 is my pick...

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:30 pm

And it is the Distributors pick out of the range as well and what he rides. I personally went the Sebring. The T200 C50 is available now at $880 down from $1599 for a limited time.

Anthony

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm

neoppg wrote:And it is the Distributors pick out of the range as well and what he rides. I personally went the Sebring. The T200 C50 is available now at $880 down from $1599 for a limited time.

Anthony
$800 is realistic for something like this, but 1600 is OTT. I could buy 2 classic Aussie handbuilt (retro 80's) completes for that, with waaaay more character and soul.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote: $800 is realistic for something like this, but 1600 is OTT.
Got to agree with you there, around the $1000 mark would be my absolute maximum.
Still, while you could buy an immaculate high quality s/h bike for half that, some people do worry about things being 'new' :?
Cheers
Richard

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote: $800 is realistic for something like this, but 1600 is OTT.
Got to agree with you there, around the $1000 mark would be my absolute maximum.
Still, while you could buy an immaculate high quality s/h bike for half that, some people do worry about things being 'new' :?
Cheers
Richard
$880 V This including shipping to my Door , and I'm still $250 up. Velocity wheel set(new), Reynolds 531, weighs 8.6kg as pictured.
You can keep your Coopers.

I understand that pure track bikes are not everyones cup of tea. Not drilled for brakes, no bottle cage mounts etc... That's whyI have this...

But for the purity of it, I'd rather have my Bundy than some ersatz in between modern retro attempt.

My opinion is worth far less than 2c in the real world, but the Q was asked by the OP. :P

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm

neoppg wrote:And it is the Distributors pick out of the range as well and what he rides. I personally went the Sebring. The T200 C50 is available now at $880 down from $1599 for a limited time.

Anthony
An excellent price - I would have been quite happy to pay the RRP.

The Brooks Swallow alone is more than $170 from c r c.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I DESPERATELY want a Cooper Spa, i remember the first time i saw one i was literally stopped in my tracks (i do love shiny things :D ). They'll probably be vintage by the time i do get my hands on one though haha.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

My Dad's started talking about a new bike, I reckon the Reims with the hub gears could be a nice fit for him and the sort of riding he does. Im going to suggest he takes a look to see what he thinks of it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

That actually raises a question i though of yesterday, how strong are hub gears? I reckon a 3 speed would be cool to get that little bit extra for steep hills or fast bits but i don't like the possibility of something going 'pop' and dumping me on the blacktop (like what happened when my Mercier slipped out of gear). Is this a legitimate concern? I just don't have any experience with 3 speeds.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That actually raises a question i though of yesterday, how strong are hub gears? I reckon a 3 speed would be cool to get that little bit extra for steep hills or fast bits but i don't like the possibility of something going 'pop' and dumping me on the blacktop (like what happened when my Mercier slipped out of gear). Is this a legitimate concern? I just don't have any experience with 3 speeds.
Mate, if you can bust an AW 3-speed (or any FW/FM/FC model) Sturmey Archer then you need to apply for HERO status :wink:
It is possible to do damage to the crown jewels by slipping between gears but that is an adjustment problem, not a strength/reliability problem...
SACHS 3 speeds (and the new Taiwanese Sturmeys AFAIK) solve this problem by constant engagement so use one of these and your wedding plans are safe :)
Cheers
Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Well that puts my mind at ease, cheers mate.

Oh and challenge accepted :D . Now to find a Sturmey to destroy with my 'epic guns' haha.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

well I guess thats what makes us all individuals hey... Or we would all be riding around on the same bikes. All very nice stuff IMO

here is a Cooper Sebring Now $660
A Cooper Spa with chrome finish Now $880
A Cooper Reims (5 speed)
Last edited by neoppg on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm

neoppg wrote:A Cooper Spa with chrome finish Now $880

That's the one! *drools

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:32 pm

They certainly tick a lot of boxes. They are verrrrrrrrrrry heavy. No small sizes in aust too.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:39 pm

I ride a 52cm. Thats pretty small isnt it? This is the actual one in the restaurant. just enjoying a cup of tea over it now.. This one is a 57cm

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Which restaurant Anthony?

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Neo Pizza (AT) Highgate Hill
36 Gladstone Rd. 4101

Basically, we just came off our annual fundraiser "Brissey To The Bay" where our team raised over $88000 for people living with MS and wanted to keep the cycling theme going. No better way to decorate the place than with bikes IMO. I am not one for conventional wall decorations..... Much to my wife's dissatisfaction.
Cheers

Anthony

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 pm

neoppg wrote:Neo Pizza (AT) Highgate Hill
36 Gladstone Rd. 4101

Basically, we just came off our annual fundraiser "Brissey To The Bay" where our team raised over $88000 for people living with MS and wanted to keep the cycling theme going. No better way to decorate the place than with bikes IMO. I am not one for conventional wall decorations..... Much to my wife's dissatisfaction.
Cheers

Anthony
Oh yeah - it's a quite while since I have been there - last time I visited there was a minimoto on display. Was it one of your unconventional decorations? It was quite a few years ago, come to think of it. Funny about pizza and bikes - rider friend Dave Silvestri has Arrivederci in Park Road.

I didn't realise the Spa is all chrome. When I first discovered Cooper bikes I was looking at a chrome Bianchi Pista, at around $1200 it was only a little cheaper but nowhere near as classy.

But y'know, I've so many bikes already, and so little time to ride them...sigh.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Yep, the pocket bikes were on display right after Ducatis for a couple of years... I certainly have been through stages with my displays but I think the bike thing is going to be around here for a while...

Anthony