Is it safe to ride in a storm

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
DaveOZ

Is it safe to ride in a storm

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Big storm here, lots of thunder and lightning. I've always ridden home in the rain without fear but this lightning has me a bit worried.

Ozkaban

Re: Is it safe to ride in a storm

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Dunno. I'll let you know this afternoon when I ride home :mrgreen: Luckily its only 7km today, though all uphill...

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Looks like I should be fine. :?
Titanium is paramagnetic and has fairly low electrical and thermal conductivity

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Storm has passed now and the sun is out so I'll make a run for it. It's now heading for Wollongong.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Glad I finished building the new rear wheel for my CX last weekend. Disc brakes, yeah!

westab

Postby westab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Big storm here, lots of thunder and lightning. I've always ridden home in the rain without fear but this lightning has me a bit worried.
Had me worried as well - safe yes only if you don't get hit by the lightning :roll: I always feel nervous as the electricity wants to find the shortest path to the earth and as most of us are taller than the cars etc. around us then we are it (please note that rubber will conduct at the voltages we are talking about). Also the fact that we (humans) are not good conductors is a problem as if we do get hit then the resistance we have turns the energy into heat and cooks us internally :shock: so even if your heart makes it you could have some interal organs that don't function and be in trouble shortly.

I waited in the office till a break in the storm came as well - then went as fast as possible on wet roads to make sure that I got home safe. Still the chance of getting hit in a storm must be very small but why take a chance :D .
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Unfortunately for me I had to ride home during the hail storm to make an appointment. Protecs have never been more usefull!

diggler

Postby diggler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 am

I hate cycling through lightning. I will always stop and sit it out. Statistically you are very unlikely to get hit, but why take a chance.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

You're probably more likely to get hit by a car in the poor visibility due to rain. Given the number of car accidents storms provoke, it's a serious additional risk to take into account.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm

All bike commuters should carry a fold away Faraday Cage in thier panniers, it's the only way to be sure! :wink: