Perth light rail system - PBN opportunity?

Red Rider

Perth light rail system - PBN opportunity?

Postby Red Rider » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 pm

The Perth light rail system, now known as the Metro Area Express (MAX), is currently in the planning stage, at a cost of around $15m. Construction costs will be around $1b, beginning in 2016, and operational in 2019. It will essentially go straight up Fitzgerald/Alexander Drive, along Morley Drive to Dianella Drive and thru Mirrabooka.
Proposed Route Map

The north-east corridor of Perth, which is largely outside of the current PSP catchments, is lacking a bicycle arterial route. This is a great opportunity to significantly increase the Perth Bike Network (PBN) by providing more dedicated bike infrastructure alongside the new MAX line. It would attract a whole new, largely untapped area of potential bicycle commuters, and provide an alternative to MAX, especially relieving pressure when it is in peak demand.

So at this early planning stage, giving a voice to bike infrastructure along the MAX line will be very important in getting the best outcome for users. Also, I couldn't find anything in the Draft WA Bike Network Plan (WABN Plan) relating to this project (the draft plan may not have had sufficient prior knowledge of MAX to take it into consideration). It would be good to contact DoT to see if they will be integrating a proposal into the plan as MAX will be operational before the 2012-2021 WABN Plan timeframe has even lapsed!

max@transport.wa.gov.au

toofat

Re: Perth light rail system - PBN opportunity?

Postby toofat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

I find it facinating that linking Polytecnic West and Ecu mt Lawley have suddenly become a far more vital transport goal than linking UWA Curtin Murdoch and the major hospitals with the city and each other ( the knoweledge arc )
Some people have unkindly suggested that it is designed to run through marginal seats ( the pork barrel arc ) surely not :roll:
I appreciate any effort to add bicycle infrastrure and good on you Red for having a go but my guess is this project may go the way of the promised Ellenbrook line

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 pm

toofat wrote:Some people have unkindly suggested that it is designed to run through marginal seats ( the pork barrel arc ) surely not :roll:
The first law of railroad engineering in the US in the 19th century was something along the lines of this. :roll: Resulted in some quite long and circuitous routes in the wild west I understand.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 pm

The response from MAX:
Bikes will continue to be able to share the general road space with other traffic but in instances where the road reservation is too narrow, alternative bicycle routes adajacent to the light rail are being investigated. The Alexander Drive route is not wide enough to build dedicated bike paths as well as light rail.

Local bike routes will also be developed to provide direct access to MAX stations and dedicated bicycle parking at stations is being investigated.
Not promising! Work needs to be done.