Stolen - Giant TCR Advanced 2 (2012) - Rhodes, NSW

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
Sydguy

Stolen - Giant TCR Advanced 2 (2012) - Rhodes, NSW

Postby Sydguy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 am

Hi Team

Storage cage broken into and bike taken late on 17 or early 18 September 2012. The bike was not locked up inside the cage, cage was locked. They cut through the wire door.

No pedals on it, Conti GPS 4000s on rear and Maxxis Refuse on the front (wire bead), red electrical tape on one gear cable near stem. No real identifier that on frame.

This is reported to police, I don't have any recent pictures but it is very stock.

It was fully insured but it sucks to be posting in here. They left a garmin behind on my single speed, and a Giant Seek 1.

Thanks
JM

Big_Red

Re: Stolen - Giant TCR Advanced 2 (2012) - Rhodes, NSW

Postby Big_Red » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Sounds like an opportunist druggy looking to flog off your bike for their next high and they have no idea about the stuff they left. I hope the cops catch the scumbag that did this and you get your stuff back. It's a shame you'll have to lock your stuff up inside a locked cage now...

Ston3y

Postby Ston3y » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17 am

Which building are you in Sydguy?

I'm just about to post that my bike was stolen this week - possibly Monday or Tuesday from Shoreline Drive

Mine was a Giant Anthem X1 2012

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 am

Huxley North, carpark entrance on Lewis. CCTV shows a guy going in but not leaving. They probably took a heap of bikes. Left my Seek1 behind.
Will get CMS to send footage to police.
JM

Ston3y

Postby Ston3y » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 am

Same building I'm in - mine was in the bike parking area

Lucky they left my road bike behind - probably didn't recognise the brand and left it

I've given my details to the police as well - they said they would check the CCTV footage today

But yeah, it's probably the same guy

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 am

Michael Lee at CMS visited my palce last night at 7pm, he has the footage and is happy to send to Police.

I will ask him to do so, and quote my COPS number. The police would probably already have linked the cases (I hope!).

Hope you were insured, I was told that the storage cage was not covered in Home & Contents unless specifically mentioned, and items listed.

So I mentioned it and got my bike listed, thankfully. Still everyone pays for my new bike as premiums rise and these losers get away with it generally.

Destroyed my back commuting on a track bike, got the train today for the first time in ages.

:(
JM

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am

Gah, that sucks/ I park mine in the business park, makes me much more worried about leaving it overnight if I can't handle the ride home :(

Ston3y

Postby Ston3y » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

Sydguy wrote:Hope you were insured, I was told that the storage cage was not covered in Home & Contents unless specifically mentioned, and items listed.
Unfortunately not, rang the insurance company last night and they only pay up to $500 for theft from a common area (no good if the excess is more than that)

Had the bike been in the cage I would have been covered

Lesson learnt I guess, have to store them on the balcony now

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 am

Seems like the common trend with bike theft is people not using heavy duty D locks.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 am

The D lock isn't much good in the cage as there isn't much to lock it to that isn't just mild steel that is 30seconds work with a hacksaw. If your going to store it in a cage in a common car park you really need a tough locking point anchored to the floor and a really heavy duty chain.

It's about $100 for a kriptonite mount point, they dyna bolt to the floor, easy to install and next to impossible to get off. The dyna bolts are alan key heads and you get a bb to hammer into the head. I spent a good hour trying to get mine off the garage floor when I moved house and eventually gave up. You can bolt lots of bikes to them as we'll depending of the length of chain you use.
Tom

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am

You can lock the back wheel as well, I suppose a D lock does help in that sense. And if you have the cord you can lock up a front wheel too.

Either case, it's getting quite sad to the point that it's easier and safer to keep your bike indoors...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

champsk

Postby champsk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am

I live in Homebush West, not far from Rhodes.
Two of my bikes were stolen just like yours. I had my bikes locked up in a storage cage in the carpark, with the cage door chained up with a padlock. Chain was cut.

My Giant XTC and my wife's Scott contessa (carbon) was stolen only yesterday.

Police came to dust for finger prints but nothing was found

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am

Hey, sounds like your bikes are very unique. Do you have photos of both? No cctv footage?

nath1234

Postby nath1234 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey guys,
could this be your bike? Spotted in surry hills.
http://imgur.com/a/MDyNy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the crappy images - dodgy guy was loitering around waiting to rip off letterboxes in our apartment building. Call me crazy - but he didn't look like the type to pay for his expensive downhill bike.

I put up some more details here on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments ... _mountain/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hand grips were something custom (alloy or something) and it had black fox front shocks. Might have been blue tape on the frame - I'm not 100% sure.
Also had a guard or something on the front that would protect against flicked up stones. Not carbon fibre I don't think - but grey and black.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi - Wow nice spot - but sadly not my TCR.

JM