sore knees..

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Trekker

sore knees..

Postby Trekker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok so I've been on a road bike since the start of august and recently I've been getting sore knees in the joints I only ride about 80k a week. What does this mean exactly?

RonK

Re: sore knees..

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 pm

You are getting on bit?

Your cleats don't gave enough float?

Your cleat position is wrong?

Your saddle is too low?

You are a masher?

Your knees are in front of the pedal axles.

You've been grovelling to your wife?

All the above? :).

If you are, as your name implies a trekker (like me), then you have probably worn them out.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Is your saddle too high?

Are you cranks too long?

Do you need cleat wedges?

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Google "Steve Hogg sore knees" enjoy the reading .;)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Trekker

Postby Trekker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 am

I'm only 19 and unmarried so that answers 2 questions and I don't really know the answers to the rest since I have such a small amount of experience.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 am

I suggest you get a bike fit if the problem only appears on the bike or after bike riding. Especially if the problem is more one-sided.

I can put a lot of links up in regard to bike fit, crank length, cleats etc. Or as suggested above, just go to Steve Hogg's site as he is an expert fitter. The reading is often more in-depth, but you may get more out of it.

There are only really two ways to get an improvement on this. They are either get a good professional bike fit, or self educate to fit yourself. The latter often only has limited effect as it is hard to observe yourself while riding.

If you want to start to try yourself, then give the below link a try. Just make sure you get the measurements correct.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trekker

Postby Trekker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Ok thanks for that. I got fitted when I got the bike but because I'm amatur they might have gotten lazy with it because it didn't take long.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Trekker wrote:Ok thanks for that. I got fitted when I got the bike but because I'm amatur they might have gotten lazy with it because it didn't take long.
Yeah... that's not a 'bike fit', that a 'bike sell'. You should be able to find someone who actually does a proper fitting as a service, costs $$$ and can take some time (ie. 1 - 2 hours).
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:57 pm

How did you go getting this sorted ?? Don't ignore knees they can become a chronic problem real quick.

MM

Trekker

Postby Trekker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Ok so does anyone know a good fitter on the north side of Brisbane

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm

As mentioned above by posters
fit is key (otherwise serious knee and joint injuries can happen)

but even if the fit is right, there are at least 20 factors that affect the condition,
pedals, shoe fit (affecting motion), pedalling technique (heel pushing down vs toe pushing down),
leverage you have on lateral foot motion (some cleats allow this, speedplays, some KEOs etc)
prior conditions, style of riding etc...

medium

Postby medium » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm

You should also try stretching your hamstrings after every ride. My physio said tight hamstrings can cause knee pain.

MADCAP

Postby MADCAP » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 am

I similar issues, however just the right knee, felt sharp pain on outside, most likely ITB as i new to ridding and pushed too hard to early with some riders that have been at it for over a year....

Anyways went to a proper bike fit today and i was a MASHER in my peddling stroke, took some home work away from the bike fit, plus the bike before i got there was well out of sack, soon as he saw my cleat position he asked who did this - well i said the original bike store i bought my bike from.

Seat was also too low, and needed a longer stem from 120mm to 130mm

So after the bike fit was done and some new techniques i took the bike tonight for a ride, Now as of recent i could only push around 30km and my right knee would start to develop the slight pain on the outside, Well tonight with better peddling stroke and a better bike fit, my power increased and so did my ams to 47km.

I also notice new muscle groups started to develop sourness, i guess i been using just my knees mashing the power down. One thing i was told i was riding too much with heal up, I got taught today heal down, throw, push in a even stroke - i think i focused on breathing and peddling tonight and i felt better stright away.

However i do need too adjust my seat tilt down a bit coz my "under balls section started to hurt a bit more than usual"

Overal i was happy to pump a longer ride as i feared several weeks that i couldn't

I guess its all uphill now just focus on proper technique and i guess a decent bike fit will help too.