Magpies are Out in Force - Hot Spots

adrian_d

Magpies are Out in Force - Hot Spots

Postby adrian_d » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi all,
Well i've had my second magpie swoop (well actually 2 in one day) and just wanted to see if anyone wants to share any hot spots in particular around Melbourne.

I was riding through the dandenong creek trail on the track that goes just near Hammond Road

There is one particularly frustrated Magpie that would swoop from a wire over the dandenong creek over the bike path and then back up.

I am sure there is a lot more around and the birds can move but if I can save someone a pecking, it was worth it :)

REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

pauls51

Re: Magpies are Out in Force - Hot Spots

Postby pauls51 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Good idea!!!!

Haven't been out there in a while but I believe there is a resident magpie at the Casey Fields Crit track too

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:42 pm

pauls51 wrote:Good idea!!!!

Haven't been out there in a while but I believe there is a resident magpie at the Casey Fields Crit track too
Thanks :) I hate the feeling of running through an area and wondering if there is a resident "eagle" scooping the area for easy pray.

I was overtaking someone and that magpie (or one of them) on the map (marked as red) hit my helmet and I thought someone threw a rock so I put my foot down (and then up and then down haha) to try and get away. I was sure I dyed my white suite saddle to brown suede lol

ashleyk

Postby ashleyk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Casey Fields one is absolutely there.

But he is only on the far loop so you can ride the track and turn before you get to the last loop and he won't get you.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Seven Mile Road ~1km out from Trafalgar, there are a few angry magpies along there. One hit a mate twice on the helmet.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

ashleyk wrote:Casey Fields one is absolutely there.

:lol: Good to see he is still around!!!!

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Adrian , i got done by the same one at the same place on Wed afternoon he only swooped once , but meant buisness , but he was not there on the thurs. Then further along where i turn onto Princess Highway another on got me on the tues.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 pm

pakenham, princes hwy between Toomuc Valley Rd and Dan Murphys. I have ridden past there (in both directions) about 6-7 times in 2 months, and he's got me every time (yes, since mid July!)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I got done twice in Eltham on Sunday.

First time was on Bells Hill Rd just south of Eltham College. The second time was heading downhill on Main Rd near Brougham St.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Here in Bendigo was riding past a pub and read on a board: Caution eagle swooping.

I rode a little faster home :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Got a bit worried on a shops run yesterday when one came at me from the front at head height. I backed off expecting the worst and he swung around me left side and came back around the right and kept formation off me right shoulder about 1.5m out for almost 100m before swinging off. Never had that before :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

asmc

Postby asmc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:18 am

There's a contentious one along woodburn road near the Hawthorn Velodrome in Victoria (Right next to the University of Melbourne Hawthorn Campus)

It's swooped me the last 5 times i've been to the velodrome :P
Cervélo Soloist Carbon SRAM Red

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:53 pm

oldnewby wrote:pakenham, princes hwy between Toomuc Valley Rd and Dan Murphys. I have ridden past there (in both directions) about 6-7 times in 2 months, and he's got me every time (yes, since mid July!)
now that one is mean. It smashed into the back of my helmut (hardest I've ever been hit) and then swooped me another 10 times over 800m.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:55 pm

pauls51 wrote:
ashleyk wrote:Casey Fields one is absolutely there.

:lol: Good to see he is still around!!!!
picked us off warming up for a race, but left us alone in the bunch. Only problem was I got dropped and it rubbed salt into the wound by swooping me while I was wallowing in self pity. :D
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 pm

now that one is mean. It smashed into the back of my helmut (hardest I've ever been hit) and then swooped me another 10 times over 800m.
so it's not just me! I've been avoiding the area for a few weeks now.. you're right, he is nasty. Can't be long left in the season now though hopefully.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Nepean Hwy, Mornington south of the Main St lights near the left hand bend. Had about 6-8 goes at me today over a couple of hundred metres, never made contact but I was ducking and trying to wave my hand above my head to distract it but it made no difference. Will be using an alternative route for the next couple of weeks.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

found a new nasty one... harkaway rd just north of the roundabout in harkaway. 2 out of 2 rides in the last week, hit me both times, and had 4-5 goes after hitting me... roll on summer!

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Cnr of Diggers Rest-Coimadai Rd and Melton-Gisborne Rd (Toolern Vale side)....has TWO maggies lurking the area (near the round-a-bout), attacking those riding past. During a group ride yesterday the lead rider moved off too far from the front on their own and had both birds have a go, one after the other.

Hopefully the swooping season is over soon....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

blatant

Postby blatant » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm

oldnewby wrote:pakenham, princes hwy between Toomuc Valley Rd and Dan Murphys. I have ridden past there (in both directions) about 6-7 times in 2 months, and he's got me every time (yes, since mid July!)
I got attacked between beaconsfield and packenham yesterday by at least 5 magpies each way.
we should start a map that shows where it's safe because the swoop map is pretty much all red..

I was going to go for a good ride tomorrow but now considering just jumping on the trainer - one really agro magpie nearly made me crash when he scratched my neck

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 pm

blatant wrote:
I got attacked between beaconsfield and packenham yesterday by at least 5 magpies each way.
we should start a map that shows where it's safe because the swoop map is pretty much all red..

I was going to go for a good ride tomorrow but now considering just jumping on the trainer - one really agro magpie nearly made me crash when he scratched my neck
Ah thats never good at all. Sorry to hear. I'm hoping to work on something more up to date to warn others in the area.

I'm sure they are just trying to protect their young, but we gotta look after fellow cyclists. Nothing worse to wreck your day than that.

These are the best times to go out since the weather is improving too

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 am

adrian_d wrote: Ah thats never good at all. Sorry to hear. I'm hoping to work on something more up to date to warn others in the area.

I'm sure they are just trying to protect their young, but we gotta look after fellow cyclists. Nothing worse to wreck your day than that.

These are the best times to go out since the weather is improving too
my first magpie experience and I was bleeding haha. Good weather doesn't make the ride enjoyable until the little devils have stopped breeding.
Luckily my bike pump finally had a use.

aside from cable ties and fake eyes what other effective methods have people used?

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:36 am

blatant wrote: aside from cable ties and fake eyes what other effective methods have people used?
Avoid their area alltogether.
This is the only thing that works 100% of the time.

Otherwise using your pump or stick above your head will make most think twice about actually making contact - but there are some birds that aren't deterred no matter what.
If this is the case just give that section of your route a wide berth for a couple more weeks and we'll hopefully all be swoop-free soon, free to enjoy the improving weather.

And yes, they are just protecting their babies - they have no malice in their intentions. Only humans seem to be capable of that - unfortunately.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 am

I inspected my helmet today and found the "peck" mark which was suprisingly close to my neck. Damn birds aiming for the Jugular Vein. That thing must have been very close. I didn't even hear its wings over the sound of the gravel under the tyres.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 am

Posted in another Magpie thread - but more appropriate in this one due to locality.

Came across one on the bike path between Warragul and Drouin yesterday - b/w Lardners Track and the Princes Fwy bridge. It was very keen, pecking my daughter a few times, then having a few further goes at me. Certainly had the kids pedalling quicker!!!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL