The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

g-boaf

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am

It'd be nice if the Police might follow behind at a distance and catch the guy in the act. Or get a friend of yours to follow along with another video camera to make it absolutely beyond doubt. And then you've got help if things get nasty.

20-23km/h is not really fast.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 am

malnar wrote:A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

I'll make sure I've got the camera on in that section from now on.
or maybe just reply "you dropped your bowlers hat" /sarcasm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 pm

malnar wrote:We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area.
"Control yer dog or it's likely to cop a wheel to the head!" Labs are prone to random acts of derpitude at the best of times, off leash thay can be a seriously loose cannon..
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

+ 1

i've taken to yelling at off-leash dog owners, when the dog is obviously a danger to me (and other cyclists). i don't swear at them, just a stern and very clear "control your dog!"

maestro

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

There's a guy at work who regularly complains about cyclists riding on the road next to a cycle path (one of those ones with a pedestrian side, and a green painted clearly marked cyclist side). I hadn't had a look as this is normally a bit out of my way, but I went past yesterday and every single pedestrian I saw on that path was slap bang in the middle of the cycle only side.

I had originally told my friend that I would probably ride on the path here as it looked to be in really good condition, but I'm not so sure now... I'd probably avoid it with that level of pedestrian activity!

What can one do about such a situation? I am guessing that the general response would be to slow down and watch out for pedestrians, but what's the point of a cycle only path then?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm

maestro wrote:There's a guy at work who regularly complains about cyclists riding on the road next to a cycle path (one of those ones with a pedestrian side, and a green painted clearly marked cyclist side). I hadn't had a look as this is normally a bit out of my way, but I went past yesterday and every single pedestrian I saw on that path was slap bang in the middle of the cycle only side.

I had originally told my friend that I would probably ride on the path here as it looked to be in really good condition, but I'm not so sure now... I'd probably avoid it with that level of pedestrian activity!

What can one do about such a situation? I am guessing that the general response would be to slow down and watch out for pedestrians, but what's the point of a cycle only path then?
for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do

maestro

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 pm

jasonc wrote:for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do
The guy at work is good enough to talk to without needing a video (actually, I've almost convinced him to ride to work, which will take him past that spot). At the moment he's undecided... I'll ask him again after he's had a chance to think about it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 pm

maestro wrote:
jasonc wrote:for the guy at work, take a video of it and ask him what he'd expect you to do
The guy at work is good enough to talk to without needing a video (actually, I've almost convinced him to ride to work, which will take him past that spot). At the moment he's undecided... I'll ask him again after he's had a chance to think about it.
ride to work day is coming up. offer to ride with him!

maestro

Postby maestro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

jasonc wrote:ride to work day is coming up. offer to ride with him!
That's a good idea, and despite the fact that he lives almost directly the other side of work, and the fact that he starts work two hours before I do... I made the offer. He declined, but is now considering getting driven to work with his bike and riding home as a trial. We'll see what happens.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 am

malnar wrote:A bloke about 60 who I've passed about a dozen times on a shared path on my ride to the train station in the mornings over the last 12 months. We pass in opposite directions & he usually says 'slow down' as I pass. I'm always doing 20-23 k/ph. When I see him I know to look out for his off-leash labrador as well. This is not a designated off-leash area. I have always ignored him and not even given him eye contact. This morning he's waving his arm at me and said 'slow down or next time you'll cop it in the head'. I yelled back 'don't you threaten me'.

I'll make sure I've got the camera on in that section from now on.
I get some of those on my commute home via a shared path. What's even more stupid about this is that on a shared path there should be no designated off-leash areas, i.e. the off-leash area should always terminate at least 4-5 metres from the path. Shared paths and unrestrained dogs are a bad combination, and I wish the council members who designated shared paths as off-leash areas would get this concept into their skulls.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 am

But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:56 am

Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.
result: dead dog
and a bill for a new wheel or two

maybe they'll learn their lesson

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.
David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Dumb Ped - Me...
Lemming action this morning... stepped out to find myself with a bus pointing at me ... had to run.... mainly because the bus was purposely heading diagonally toward me even though he didn't need to... :roll:

zero

Postby zero » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:39 pm

jasonc wrote:
result: dead dog
and a bill for a new wheel or two

maybe they'll learn their lesson
They tend not to die from being hit by bicycles or motorcycles unless the vehicle is doing serious road speeds.

I also don't see how you can get in a lot of trouble with an offleash dog unless it bites you or its running full tilt after a ball. The presence of a pedestrian on a sharepath generally requires that you moderate your speed, and if there is a dog or a child you should be moderating your speed further. If the dog manages to get tangled in my bike at 10km/hr, I'll stick my foot on the ground.

My experience with dogs is that some breeds will tend to try bite motorcyclists, but almost never cyclists. (cattle dogs have no bother at all determining which part of the object is motorcycle and which part is human foot, and biting the latter.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 pm

zero wrote:

I also don't see how you can get in a lot of trouble with an offleash dog unless it bites you or its running full tilt after a ball. The presence of a pedestrian on a sharepath generally requires that you moderate your speed, and if there is a dog or a child you should be moderating your speed further. If the dog manages to get tangled in my bike at 10km/hr, I'll stick my foot on the ground.
Really? How about I moderate my speed for the ped and 100 metres past him his dog runs across in front of me? How about the dog that I think is on a leash jumps away from its owner and in front of me? How about the dog chases you.. stuffs up and brings you down... The first two have already happened this week.

Put your foot down at 10 kph and into a hole and you will break it. I know of a fatal accident at less than that speed too.

As a general rule path dog walkers who dont use leashes seem to be less than averagely concerned with other people. Of course some percentage actually have a superbly trained animal under perfect control.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Percrime wrote:some percentage actually have a superbly trained animal under perfect control.
And I don't want to risk assuming they are all of this type.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:07 pm

VRE wrote:David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .
That's because it is not part of the road rules. Instead it falls under the jurisdiction of each council, in Victoria this is under s26(2)(b) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 & it varies from council to council eg

Glen Eira City Council - "Dogs must be on a leash within five metres of shared footpaths and bicycle paths"
City of Dandenong "Dogs must not be allowed within 20 metres of a designated cycling path/track, unless separated from the track by a fence at least 1.2 metres in height."

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 am

find_bruce wrote:
VRE wrote:David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .
That's because it is not part of the road rules. Instead it falls under the jurisdiction of each council, in Victoria this is under s26(2)(b) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 & it varies from council to council eg

Glen Eira City Council - "Dogs must be on a leash within five metres of shared footpaths and bicycle paths"
City of Dandenong "Dogs must not be allowed within 20 metres of a designated cycling path/track, unless separated from the track by a fence at least 1.2 metres in height."
Thanks :) . I've emailed one of the local councils along my afternoon commuting route, for clarification regarding their dog control policy.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

this used to be a regular issue along the cooks river path, the off leash areas were all along there, and owners honestly thought they were under no obligation to control their dogs anymore. Councils did something good though, created large fenced play areas for the dogs. Not just a patch of grassm but tunnels, obstacles, a proper playground. safer cyclists, happier dogs.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Pedestrian with a vicious dog on a leash, but the thing was still savagely aggressive and really went ballistic when I went past. It looked like it took all of the pedestrian's effort to keep it restrained. :shock: That scares me when it's in an area where there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

Fenced in dog-parks are a great idea. The one beside the RWY16R approach path at Sydney airport (near the golf driving range) is a good idea.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Don't feel the need to justify to randoms online.
Last edited by SmellyTofu on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Not sure if it's a stupid cyclist crossing this road and not giving way or the stupid car in front stopping unnecessarily (instant fail in a driving exam) in a blind corner of all places.

http://youtu.be/CInigBFc-pE?hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mod edit: Video NSFW.
its a marked pedestrian refuge in a 50 zone (see 50 sign earlier on in video), with pram ramps. Suggest the driver does the speed limit instead of 15 over, as is appropriate to the vision available and chills out as not a lot of time was lost.

Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm

zero wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:Not sure if it's a stupid cyclist crossing this road and not giving way or the stupid car in front stopping unnecessarily (instant fail in a driving exam) in a blind corner of all places.

http://youtu.be/CInigBFc-pE?hd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mod edit: Video NSFW.
its a marked pedestrian refuge in a 50 zone (see 50 sign earlier on in video), with pram ramps. Suggest the driver does the speed limit instead of 15 over, as is appropriate to the vision available and chills out as not a lot of time was lost.

Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.
THat vid is marked for private viewing ony. If it's your's you'll need to change that.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:THat vid is marked for private viewing ony. If it's your's you'll need to change that.
It was public, but SmellyTofu didn't like Zero's comments so has edited his comment & set the vid to private