How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

VRE

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am

Aah... cycling: the cure for all ills :D . Yesterday afternoon, I had hayfever, with the usual annoying runny nose, and slight headache just behind the eyes. I woke up halfway through my sleep-cycle sneezing, and needed a shower and much nose-blowing before I could return to sleep. Got up bleary-eyed at the usual time of ridiculous-o'clock, rode to work taking it relatively easy, and by the time I'd arrived at work, I felt heaps better.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 am

VRE wrote:Aah... cycling: the cure for all ills :D . Yesterday afternoon, I had hayfever, with the usual annoying runny nose, and slight headache just behind the eyes. I woke up halfway through my sleep-cycle sneezing, and needed a shower and much nose-blowing before I could return to sleep. Got up bleary-eyed at the usual time of ridiculous-o'clock, rode to work taking it relatively easy, and by the time I'd arrived at work, I felt heaps better.
my cure for hey fever: move 1600km north. I barely get it at all up here. humidity = less crap in the air.

EDIT: group riverloop turned into a coot-tha and half-riverloop. magnificent morning. the ride between channel 10 and the cafe was awesome fog and sunshine fighting through the trees.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am

found out yesterday I now have a third magpie on my commute. I have one at both end/starts now. The one near my work is at the top of a little hill so you are half knackered when this mungrel wants to attack and right where I have to also merge onto the road with cars/trucks...the joys

But despite that, had a great ride, weather was magic.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:38 am

My commutes of late have been totally routine, even the evening headwind is now just part of the routine. The mighty Repco is just doing its normal thing, rolling along and making no fuss.

The improved lights I put on a couple of months ago (Niterider 600 & Moon 300) are working a treat. My only complaints are that the Niterider on a steady beam interferes with my computer and that the battery on high beam doesn’t last terribly long. However on a lower setting the burn-time greatly increases and still gives plenty of light.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

Got a light hose-down this morning necessitating a costume change on the hop. Yesterday on the way home I scored a point against a blonde, curly-haired nemesis of mine - there is a schlabradiddlydoodly thing that lives at a house backing onto a laneway I duck through. He (/she/it) likes to wait until I've forgotten about him, and then launch himself at his gate barking furiously enough to startle me halfway out of my socks.

Well, I caught him napping on the job - and gave him a taste of his own medicine as I coasted by :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm

gretaboy wrote:found out yesterday I now have a third magpie on my commute. I have one at both end/starts now. The one near my work is at the top of a little hill so you are half knackered when this mungrel wants to attack and right where I have to also merge onto the road with cars/trucks...the joys

But despite that, had a great ride, weather was magic.
Red blinky fitted yet?
There are two Magpies on my commute - neither had a go at me this morning - saw them perched in their usual spot - waiting for victims..

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Lizzy wrote:Got a light hose-down this morning necessitating a costume change on the hop. Yesterday on the way home I scored a point against a blonde, curly-haired nemesis of mine - there is a schlabradiddlydoodly thing that lives at a house backing onto a laneway I duck through. He (/she/it) likes to wait until I've forgotten about him, and then launch himself at his gate barking furiously enough to startle me halfway out of my socks.

Well, I caught him napping on the job - and gave him a taste of his own medicine as I coasted by :mrgreen:
Ah yes, but is your bark worse than your bite ? :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Got a light hose-down this morning necessitating a costume change on the hop. Yesterday on the way home I scored a point against a blonde, curly-haired nemesis of mine - there is a schlabradiddlydoodly thing that lives at a house backing onto a laneway I duck through. He (/she/it) likes to wait until I've forgotten about him, and then launch himself at his gate barking furiously enough to startle me halfway out of my socks.

It's Lizzy. Don't know about you, but I'm not game to find out...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:

It's Lizzy. Don't know about you, but I'm not game to find out...
I am very brave ... from a suitable distance. :mrgreen: Last time I checked Perth was about 3,300 km away, and that is enough, isn't it ?? :shock:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 am

Warm in Melbourne for the ride back yesterday. Mutt Index was correspondingly high at 20.
I think I will refine the index somewhat to reflect the ratio of leashed/unleashed mutts, expressed as a number between 0-10, where higher numbers reflect more unleashed critters, therefore a more hairy ride. That should keep me uselessly occupied on the 40km trip along the MYT/Darebin Creek trail commute.
Headwind and lots of reds in this morning. It did spit a bit, but no rain.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Managed to avoid the storm this afternoon, roads were a bit damp and had a few drops of rain.
The radar wasn't looking very encouraging 30 mins before I left!
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

marinmomma wrote:Managed to avoid the storm this afternoon, roads were a bit damp and had a few drops of rain.
The radar wasn't looking very encouraging 30 mins before I left!
welcome to brisbane storm season. there's 3 choices
1. leave before
2. leave after
3. HTFU

left at normal time, storm didn't even hit brissy/southside

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 pm

jasonc wrote: welcome to brisbane storm season. there's 3 choices
1. leave before
2. leave after
3. HTFU
You left one other suggestion off that list....

4. Leave the bike at work and get the bus home :wink:

I've been in Brisabne for 30 years and there have been many storms that I won't even drive in let alone ride a bike in :shock:
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm

marinmomma wrote:You left one other suggestion off that list....

4. Leave the bike at work and get the bus home :wink:

I've been in Brisabne for 30 years and there have been many storms that I won't even drive in let alone ride a bike in :shock:
am doing my best to avoid that one

EDIT: ride home was via the bikeshop to check on a braking problem I've been having (kudos to james (AT) cycleskills). he weaved his magic, couldn't find anything, but it's all fixed :shock:
EDIT 2: have now done more kms than the car for the year too :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:54 am

Haha Jason, my ride home was via the bike shop too, I had a problem with my shoes, the sole had cracked around the bolt holes for the cleat!!!
Got myself an upgraded shoe with carbon soles for my troubles!
Win!!
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm

marinmomma wrote:Haha Jason, my ride home was via the bike shop too, I had a problem with my shoes, the sole had cracked around the bolt holes for the cleat!!!
Got myself an upgraded shoe with carbon soles for my troubles!
Win!!
for me that'd mean more cost! (am less than $100 behind vs public transport for the year)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 am

A few drops on the way back on Friday. Stopped off at my brother's place for some Pizza and Beer and completed the rest of the trip feeling rather sluggish.
Headwind and pretty cool again this morning for the ride into the Melbourne CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 am

VERY think fog this morning. it's still hanging around.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 am

Great weather this morning. Nearly didnt wear the "long johns" under the riding gear, but thought the chill may still be there. Wont be long now and it will be nice and warm in the mornings.

With summer coming I went and got a rear basket for the bike on the weekend. Was looking at getting pannier bags but this seemed a much cheaper option. This mornings ride was my first and I was really surprised at how the dynamics of the bike changed as a result. In the seat it was all good, pretty much like normal but when I got up out of the saddle the bike became very unstable due to the wobble through the frame. I am thinking and hoping this was a result of how I put my bag in the basket. Will need to play around with how I "fill" the basket to try and stabilise the ride.

My shoulders and back certainly noticed the difference. Didnt sweat as much and thats my purpose behind going this way. Jan this year I really heated up when I had a backpack on.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 pm

gretaboy wrote:Great weather this morning. Nearly didnt wear the "long johns" under the riding gear, but thought the chill may still be there. Wont be long now and it will be nice and warm in the mornings.

With summer coming I went and got a rear basket for the bike on the weekend. Was looking at getting pannier bags but this seemed a much cheaper option. This mornings ride was my first and I was really surprised at how the dynamics of the bike changed as a result. In the seat it was all good, pretty much like normal but when I got up out of the saddle the bike became very unstable due to the wobble through the frame. I am thinking and hoping this was a result of how I put my bag in the basket. Will need to play around with how I "fill" the basket to try and stabilise the ride.

My shoulders and back certainly noticed the difference. Didnt sweat as much and thats my purpose behind going this way. Jan this year I really heated up when I had a backpack on.
Yep, overheating with a sweaty back was the main reason I ditched the backpack for a rack. At least in my experience, the instability is probably caused by too much weight behind the rear axle.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 am

gretaboy wrote:With summer coming I went and got a rear basket for the bike on the weekend.
For the Lynskey? Titanium, I hope :wink: - pix please!
In terms of stability, if I have a lot of stuff in the panniers, with heavy items at the top, the center of gravity moves higher, and I get a pendulum effect when pedaling out of the saddle.

To my commutes...
Cool afternoon yesterday with mixed conditions, had dressed for the possibility of rain, but not much apart from a few drops. Otherwise alternating cloud and sunny patches. The maggies seem to be getting into spring mode along my route. I've been relatively unmolested with only one half-hearted swoop a couple of weeks back, but yesterday I had a wing-slap and a couple of swoops from one bird along the Darebin Creek Trail, and a swoop by another one a few hundred meters up the path.
Cold in Melbourne this morning, 4.5C when I left. Good ride in, traffic lights were a little more cooperative than they have been in the last few days.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 am

Perth:

Weather looks like crud and I am heading out into it. :cry: I wonder how many other fools I will encounter.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:33 am

storms in brisbane fizzled out fairly early last night. so got home relatively dry. felt warm this morning

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am

find_bruce wrote: At least in my experience, the instability is probably caused by too much weight behind the rear axle.
fb = thanks for that, basic load organising which I just didnt think about, got home yesterday and moved the basket as far forward as possible. This mornings ride was so much better, stability had increased ten fold. I do not fear getting out of the saddle now...as the tail has stopped wagging the dog
TailWind wrote: For the Lynskey? Titanium, I hope :wink: - pix please!
In terms of stability, if I have a lot of stuff in the panniers, with heavy items at the top, the center of gravity moves higher, and I get a pendulum effect when pedaling out of the saddle.
I actually had someone come up to me yesterday and ask where my dog was..due to the basket, all funny buggers here at my work. There will be no pics, it is too cool for pixs...on the bright side, I reckon I can get 6 or more wine bottles in it when I ride around the local wineries.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Perth:

Despite looking like a storm as I was leaving, it proved to be as the forecasters said - Warm and showers. Overall, a good easy trip in with a little bit of annoying WNW wind. I hope the winds away away this arvo.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle