Cleaning Chain

karadoc

Cleaning Chain

Postby karadoc » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 pm

its probably been asked...

but is there any chain cleaning solution that i can buy from Bunnings?

rider06

Postby rider06 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:47 pm

kerosene
Rehab is for quitters!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 pm

You'll have to go to the supermarket too - for the toothbrush :D

rider06

Postby rider06 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:23 pm

and rubber gloves and a "bike chain cleaning only" bucket - or old ice cream container
Rehab is for quitters!

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Kerosene: Don't do it in an enclosed space. There's a reason petrol sniffers end up in wheelchairs.

In fact that probably holds true for citrus-based cleaners as well. :?

lom3bok

Re: Cleaning Chain

Postby lom3bok » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 am

karadoc wrote:its probably been asked...

but is there any chain cleaning solution that i can buy from Bunnings?
There is a chain cleaner you can buy from Probikekit, I think the tradename is Barbieri, costs about AUD15, and it works like magic!!!

sogood

Re: Cleaning Chain

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 am

lom3bok wrote:There is a chain cleaner you can buy from Probikekit, I think the tradename is Barbieri, costs about AUD15, and it works like magic!!!
Was it Barbieri or Burberry? Surely you can sniff Burberry, right? ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 am

There is a cleaner in concentrate form called "Simple Green" which is biodegradable which I bought a bottle of from Bunnings a few years ago.

I have used it diluted for cleaning chains
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

chug chug

Postby chug chug » Wed May 07, 2008 8:47 am

mikeg wrote:There is a cleaner in concentrate form called "Simple Green" which is biodegradable which I bought a bottle of from Bunnings a few years ago.

I have used it diluted for cleaning chains
Yep, I have used this too.
Time wounds all heels.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed May 07, 2008 11:21 am

We have a bottle of mint smelling/green Simple Green in a trigger/spray bottle at home.

Would this be ok? How much should I dilute it by?

vic

Postby vic » Wed May 07, 2008 12:12 pm

White Spirits. Its cheap, effective, and smells just like degreaser, without the propellant.

isitonu

Postby isitonu » Sun May 18, 2008 5:42 pm

I use petrol and a 1 inch paint brush, then blow all the muck off with an air compressor.

What do bike shops use? They could not have fumes from petrol, kero, degreaser etc drifting tyhrough the shop.

What methods do chain manufactures suggest?

lisanne

Postby lisanne » Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Take the chain off, put it in an old mount franklin water bottle or similiar, pour in some turps, but the lid on and shake vigorously, empty and repeat a few times saving the kero to clean the chain rings and cassette. To get the chain out just cut open the bottle and throw it away. :D

Dale E Grind

Postby Dale E Grind » Sun May 18, 2008 9:00 pm

What she said but with kerosenne - I bought 1 litre of kerosene 18 motnhs ago and by reusing it when i can, I still have half a litre left. It's a bit dirty but it still works a treat.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 18, 2008 9:31 pm

I've used two methods:

1. Kerosene, in either a tub with a tootbrush to scrub, or in a bottle to shake. Kero can be re-used by letting it settle in a big canister then decanting for the next cleaning job.

2. CT-18 Truck degreaser. Simlar methods. CT-18 is allegedly biodegradable, so less concern about washing it down the drain :?: But always use gloves with this stuff, it does terrible things to your skin if you don't :o

Some types of dirty chains the kero works better, usually if it's really greasy. The CT-18 works better with mud-dirty MTB chains. Petrol or white spirit (shellite) would be way too volatile. Even outdoors, the explosive risk is not something I'd be comfortable with :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

lisanne

Postby lisanne » Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 am

Kero, turps - whatever is handy :D

nzdans

Postby nzdans » Tue May 20, 2008 11:17 pm

I have worked in a number of larger bike shops. One large, reputable shop I worked for mainly used water soluble degreasers with chain cleaning devices-in this case Barberi or Finish Line.

All the other workshops I've run have had degreaser "wash bays" with recycled solvents very similar in property to kero. In all the wash bay style work shops the cassette / chain / chainrings / mechs are removed from the bike for cleaning to ensure a thorough clean and to make sure none of the solvent enters the freewheel mechanism. If said solvent makes its way into the freewheel it can wash grit into the assembly and / or wash grease out; both not good results.

I no longer work in the trade and do not have my own wash bay so recommend the use of the clip on style chain cleaners and a quality cassette cleaning brush similar to the Park item. I do have a compressor at home and still appreciate this for blasting off the water / debris after the clean; great results to be had with this method.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 am

il padrone wrote:I(shellite) would be way too volatile. Even outdoors, the explosive risk is not something I'd be comfortable with :shock:
Shellite is a very common fuel for stoves in the outdoors ....

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 am

I use the Park Tools chain scrubber with Australian Export Degreaser in a pressure pack. This can be purchased at Bunnings or Super Cheap Autos for $1.90 to $2.50 a can. A can does about 2-3 bikes depending on the state of the drivetrain. This degreaser is water soluable, biodegradable, safe for carbon frames and doesn't seem to mess with my skin. The owner of Elite Cycles in Perth has used it in his shop for years and recomends it for all cleaning purposes including cleaning carbon fibre frames.

I wash the chain 4 to 5 times with the scrubber then use water in the same until it is clean, again, about 4 to 5 times. Then I dry the chain with a compressor and lube with Rock'n Roll Gold.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 2:39 pm

cavebear2 wrote:I wash the chain 4 to 5 times with the scrubber then use water in the same until it is clean, again, about 4 to 5 times.
When you say four to five times do you mean running the chain through the cleaner this number of times with the scubber containing one fill of solution or do you replace the solution for reach run through?

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 pm

4 to 5 cycles through the scrubber with a refill of degreaser or water for each cycle.

if you wipe the chain with a clean rag after this procedure, pretty much only water should mark the rag. Its then a matter of removing all water before lubing.

Cheers

Perry

BTW I've bought some spares ie. brushes & foam pads from c r c for the PT scrubber (which does a very good job.) :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 3:38 pm

cavebear2 wrote:4 to 5 cycles through the scrubber with a refill of degreaser or water for each cycle.

if you wipe the chain with a clean rag after this procedure, pretty much only water should mark the rag. Its then a matter of removing all water before lubing.

Cheers

Perry
Okay, thought so ... knowing you I am not surprised. How often (km) are you doing this?

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Summer time probably about every 1000 km
Winter 500 km or even less depending on any rust on chain :cry:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 25, 2008 10:37 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Summer time probably about every 1000 km
Winter 500 km or even less depending on any rust on chain :cry:
Okay, that is about my time frame as well.

Andrew

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:26 pm

Question.

For a quick chain and sprocket clean can I use a cheap aerosol auto degreaser like those in the discount shops? Then hose it off, dry the chain and apply chain lube.

Some websites say degreaser is too harsh but local bike shop says you can use anything as long as you lube straight away.

Your thoughts?