Disc rotor truing

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Disc rotor truing

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

No tool so it's gonna be a well cleaned shifter.

Wheel on or off the bike, which is better? There seems to be a lack of consensus in the usual online suspects.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

open roader

Re: Disc rotor truing

Postby open roader » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Over the phone advice from my mechanic a couple of years back............ to take a slight warp out of an Avid G2....... off the wheel, in a heavy bench vice sandwiched between two thick chunks of timber cut to shape to allow just the 1/3rd of the disc with the warp to be exposed and used said immaculate neat setting 14 inch shifter to tweak out the warp .......... it worked perfectly but I stress it was only one very slight pad catching warp not a major ding.........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks OR, I'll give it a go after work tomorrow. It is only a small but annoying pad grabber, confirmed with a straightedge.

Not gonna try this way...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks OR, I'll give it a go after work tomorrow. It is only a small but annoying pad grabber, confirmed with a straightedge.

Not gonna try this way...

Shaun
:shock:

.........and if you believe that............have I got a used car for you............ :lol:
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 pm

If it's minor, I'd do it on the bike. You bend small amounts and spin it through the pads with a light background and immediately check your progress. It has worked for me.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 am

Mulger bill wrote:No tool so it's gonna be a well cleaned shifter.

Wheel on or off the bike, which is better? There seems to be a lack of consensus in the usual online suspects.
Do it on the bike, it'd take forever if you kept pulling the wheel in and out.. You want some light behind the caliper so you can see the gap through the pads. I always use a shifter, just give it a wipe - if you are paranoid wipe the disc down with metho when done.

I have to do it every other week on our tandem (203mm rotors are prone to bending) - I'm looking foward to them being worn out so I can put some floating rotors on it.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 am

jacks1071 wrote:I'm looking foward to them being worn out so I can put some floating rotors on it.
Which leads us to the next question. At what width is the average disc worn out? Do the manufacturers have specs on this, or do we just guess? Both mine (Avid and Shimano) started at ~1.84mm and one of mine is currently down to 1.75mm. Can I assume it can get down to 1.6mm without problem?