your rain jacket when touring?

elStado

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:49 am

baghwan wrote:How did some of the earlier people find their Showers Pass Elite mediums fit? All the measurements say I should be taking a small, I'm 183cm/6ft, 62kg, hips 32" chest 34" but I think someone suggested sizing up?
Yep. I am about the same size as you, tallish and slim. I got the medium and it fits well. It's a little bit loose around the chest area, but it's not an issue though, especially if you are wearing a layer or two underneath. I just wear a short or long sleeve thick merino wool jersey which gives a nice layering and comfort. When you try the jacket on the sleeves will feel way too long and open, but they size down nicely when you adjust the velcro straps to the right size around your wrists. The jacket is a cycle cut, long tail, high front etc. So it feels a little weird trying it on off the bike, once your on a bike though it all makes sense.

Not a jacket for warm conditions though. If I wear a short sleeve merino jersey with the jacket in temps above 10 degrees C I start to get warm after about 6-7km and have to open up the pit vents and half of the front zip to keep ventilated.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 am

baghwan wrote:How did some of the earlier people find their Showers Pass Elite mediums fit? All the measurements say I should be taking a small, I'm 183cm/6ft, 62kg, hips 32" chest 34" but I think someone suggested sizing up?
It is a rain jacket - you want it loose-fitting so that it can breathe, and to be able to wear extra layers under if it is cold.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 am

Geez those were the days, 183cm and 62 kgs, who are you Andy Schleck? :lol: Haven't been that light since my running days 40 years ago.

If you must buy one of these imo overrated jackets, get a medium. I'm 74kgs and 181cm and got a medium but as RonK wrote you need room underneath for base layers as required. This is one cold jacket not as warm as others I've used in extreme conditions. When touring you're not racing so you don't require a tight fit.

PS If you want to buy mine which I've hardly used, pm me.

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 am

Uncle Just wrote:Geez those were the days, 183cm and 62 kgs, who are you Andy Schleck? :lol: Haven't been that light since my running days 40 years ago.

If you must buy one of these imo overrated jackets, get a medium. I'm 74kgs and 181cm and got a medium but as RonK wrote you need room underneath for base layers as required. This is one cold jacket not as warm as others I've used in extreme conditions. When touring you're not racing so you don't require a tight fit.

PS If you want to buy mine which I've hardly used, pm me.
Ha I wish I had his climbing legs, I've never been able to gain weight, I guess enjoy it while I can.

Thanks for the quick replys, still doing my research, only want to take 1 jacket, so something that performs best in warmer weather rain is the goal, then just layer up appropriately when the weather is colder.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Personally, I find wearing a jacket at temps above 10C like being in a sauna, don't bother.
There is no such thing as a rain jacket that works in warm weather.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 pm

elStado wrote:
Yep. I am about the same size as you, tallish and slim. I got the medium and it fits well. It's a little bit loose around the chest area, but it's not an issue though, especially if you are wearing a layer or two underneath.
+1

I'm about your height and weight and find the medium ideal for me - roomy but not too flappy. The arms are cut long which is ideal for the riding position. The tail is long and the front is short, also a very good cycling cut (although I would maybe like 20-30mm more on the front).
Uncle Just wrote:If you must buy one of these imo overrated jackets, get a medium. I'm 74kgs and 181cm and got a medium but as RonK wrote you need room underneath for base layers as required. This is one cold jacket not as warm as others I've used in extreme conditions. When touring you're not racing so you don't require a tight fit.
How are they over-rated? Rain jackets in general or this particular brand/model?

Personally I have not found a rain jacket that is suitable for me to wear all day that comes close to the Showerspass Elite 2.0. There are others that are as waterproof and durable but they are much less breathable and I sweat badly in them. Lighter weight jackets (eg Ground Effect Stormtrooper) simply are not as waterproof, and as for those 'spray jackets' that roadies scrunch up into their back pocket - I've not tried them but have little faith they'd be better than the Showerspass.

It has the right combination of ventilation, very waterproof fabric and an excellent cycling cut
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:16 pm

RonK wrote:Personally, I find wearing a jacket at temps above 10C like being in a sauna, don't bother.
There is no such thing as a rain jacket that works in warm weather.
+1

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Just ordered my Showers Pass Elite 2.0 RAIN JACKET Goldenrod today from Bicycling Hub.
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/shpaelraja.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its coming with the Showers Pass helmet cover.
http://www.bicyclinghub.com/showers-pas ... cover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$251.98 as they offered me a 10% discount when I started to leave the purchase page.
That convinced me to hit the paypal button.
Shame the Aussie dollar has lost a bit of ground but its been (IMHO) a damp winter here in Perth
and I'm sick of making excuses for not riding.
Soon I'll have a raincoat so then I'll have one less.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:49 am

Well. I got back a couple of days ago after touring through Germany and France for 3 weeks. I had two days of rain during my tour, both days it rained moderately for a few hours. However I seriously am thinking that such a large bulky jacket like the Elite 2.0 is overkill unless you live in the UK where is is cold and raining for most of the year. Next time I go on tour I will take a compact, light-weight, water resistant and wind proof jacket with me. Even if you do have a day where it is a bit wet the jacket will keep you fairly dry, and to be honest a summer shower isn't a major issue as it's still 25 degrees any way. So being wet for the day isn't a big deal. Waterproof pants were also overkill for touring in my experience. I'm looking at getting something like the Ground Effect 'Turbine' jacket for future touring use.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 am

elStado wrote:I'm looking at getting something like the Ground Effect 'Turbine' jacket for future touring use.
Well it has been pointed out in this thread that the Elite 2 is best used in cold weather, and RainLegs were recommended in place of over pants.
I bought the Jetson vest version of the Turbine for my NZ tour. I think the Turbine would make a poor rain jacket, and will definitely be taking my Elite 2. When it rains in NZ, it is cold.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 am

elStado wrote: I got back a couple of days ago after touring through Germany and France for 3 weeks.
I'm itching to know how the tour went. Hurry up and tell us!!!
In particular, the Vivente. How did you find the gearing range? Was 26 - 32 low enough for the hills?
Got tons of questions, maybe for another thread.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 am

Tim wrote:
elStado wrote: I got back a couple of days ago after touring through Germany and France for 3 weeks.
I'm itching to know how the tour went. Hurry up and tell us!!!
In particular, the Vivente. How did you find the gearing range? Was 26 - 32 low enough for the hills?
Got tons of questions, maybe for another thread.
Yup: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 95#p850895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, check my blog (linky below) in a few days.. I'll be doing a series of updates as I have a couple of free days this week before setting off again.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

rifraf wrote: $251.98 as they offered me a 10% discount when I started to leave the purchase page.
I believe the discount code was:
cod-save10
Hope this helps someone :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

rifraf wrote:
rifraf wrote: $251.98 as they offered me a 10% discount when I started to leave the purchase page.
I believe the discount code was:
cod-save10
Hope this helps someone :)
hehe - hey rifraf, no doubt since you have ordered you'll now experience the longest and hottest WA summer in decades... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:03 pm

RonK wrote:
hehe - hey rifraf, no doubt since you have ordered you'll now experience the longest and hottest WA summer in decades... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Ron
Heres hoping :!:
As you know, I'm not a big fan of rain.

Now I've finally got some semi stable accommodation, I can buy online again with a hope of receiving things. :)

I took the advice here and ordered the helmet cover and passed on the hood. :idea:

Has your camera arrived safely :?:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
Hi Ron
Heres hoping :!:
As you know, I'm not a big fan of rain.

Now I've finally got some semi stable accommodation, I can buy online again with a hope of receiving things. :)

I took the advice here and ordered the helmet cover and passed on the hood. :idea:

Has your camera arrived safely :?:
Yeah, I know you like the heat, but you are yet to live through a Perth summer. When I lived there one hot summer we had two weeks of temps in the high 30's and 40's, eventually reaching 48C. The overnight temp did not drop below 30C, and I recall one night we took rugs and pillows and slept on Scarborough Beach to get a little cooling breeze. Along with many others I might add.

Camera arrived promptly and magfilter arrive yesterday. I'm delighted with it so far. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm

RonK wrote:Yeah, I know you like the heat, but you are yet to live through a Perth summer. When I lived there one hot summer we had two weeks of temps in the high 30's and 40's, eventually reaching 48C. The overnight temp did not drop below 30C, and I recall one night we took rugs and pillows and slept on Scarborough Beach to get a little cooling breeze. Along with many others I might add.

Camera arrived promptly and magfilter arrive yesterday. I'm delighted with it so far. :)
Well more just a fan of drought actually.
Not really a fan of heat as I'm starting to feel it already now in the beginning of spring.
Wind and rain are no friends of mine but give me a blue sky and I'll be out under it in a flash.
Glad to hear your camera arrived without fuss.
I'm enjoying my new DSLR which is DX and cant imagine for the life of me wanting to cart around a full frame version.
Not too bad weightwise with my 35mm lens on it but the 18-200 is a burden after having it around the neck for a while.
Big learning curve after using a point and shoot for many years.
No sign of jacket yet but I expected around 2 and a half weeks anyway.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah it takes a while to come. Mine took around 3 weeks to arrive from US to Perth.

I wore my Elite 2.0 the other day when I went for a day hike through a nearby national park.. the weather turned wet, windy and cold during the afternoon when I still had a solid 4 hours worth of hiking left before getting back to my camp. Thankfully I decided to bring my jacket despite it being warm and sunny in the morning (I have learnt not to trust the weather in Europe). Although the cut is definitely cycle friendly it still performed admirably while hiking and kept me warm and dry. I also had my trusty Buff with me which was another item that I thought I would never need, but has become an essential item while hiking or cycle touring.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 pm

rifraf wrote:I took the advice here and ordered the helmet cover and passed on the hood.
I actually now regret not getting the hood: not for riding, I use a cycling cap then to keep the rain off my glasses but for around camp.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 pm

I see that Showers Pass have a new jacket in the line-up called the Skyline Softshell. Maybe not that ideal for touring but.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:I took the advice here and ordered the helmet cover and passed on the hood.
I actually now regret not getting the hood: not for riding, I use a cycling cap then to keep the rain off my glasses but for around camp.
Not glamorous but very effective for just $2.50

:wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41 pm

il padrone wrote: Not glamorous but very effective for just $2.50

:wink:
Hi IP,
gotta different link?
I'm not signed up with facebook so unable to view.
"The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm

elStado wrote:Yeah it takes a while to come. Mine took around 3 weeks to arrive from US to Perth.
The wait wouldn't be so bad if they occasionally updated their tracking. :(
Bicyclehub were ok dispatching it.
USPS got it on the 10th and the last update was the 14th.

Priority Mail International September 14, 2012 LOS ANGELES, CA 90009 international Letter
Parcels

Looks like I've to wait another week if elStado's delivery was anything to go by :cry:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Patience grasshopper, patience...

Actually, bicyclinghub has the most reasonable shipping rates of any US site I've used.

But USPS is never as efficient as the Royal Mail.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 pm

RonK wrote:Patience grasshopper, patience...

Actually, bicyclinghub has the most reasonable shipping rates of any US site I've used.

But USPS is never as efficient as the Royal Mail.
Yes it was free :lol:
I certainly cant whinge about the shipping price. :wink:
I started to navigate away from the site when a pop up box appeared offering me an extra 10% off
the purchase price. (I was also considering a Macpac E-vent jacket and struggling with a decision :roll: )
That clinched the deal for me so hit the paypal button and put the decision to bed (which was a relief in itself :!: )