LWB or SWB?

vic

LWB or SWB?

Postby vic » Sun May 18, 2008 7:41 am

Ok, I admit it, ever since my friend Atholl visited and let me have a go on his bent, I realized that I want one. However, the prices are beyond me, although building one may not be. I have narrowed my choices down to two types, USS SWB, or USS LWB. I don't feel comfortable test riding a bike in Canberra from the shop (if they'd let me) as I have no intention of buying one.
Having done a bit of research, the most of what I have learned is that the turning/steering response is different. Could others enlighten me perhaps on any differences to consider based on their experience? Thanks so much in advance.[/i]

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 19, 2008 2:13 am

I can't help too much (I have over seat steering on my SWB) but I thought your question deserved a response, since it has obviously been keeping you awake at night (judging from the time of day you posted it! ;))

One of our members (Recycler) is an avid builder of recumbents. He should be able to give you some advice.

My advice would be to go and ride some of the bikes at Flying Furniture, even if you don't want to buy one of his. You might find that OSS is even more compelling than USS, which will change how you design your own bike.

Personally, I'd buy one. You don't save much money by making one because the components (on any bike) are still expensive, even if the frame is cheap. Additionally, your time is worth money even if you don't think so. You could be riding your new bike within a fortnight if you buy, or riding it in 6 months (if ever) if you build it. As the bumper sticker says: "I'd rather be riding ...."

Cheers,
Graeme

(For the record, I have a Bacchetta Giro 26 with 700c wheels.)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

vic

Postby vic » Mon May 19, 2008 4:36 am

Thanks for your reply Graeme. I have time, lots of it, and little money, so although your immediately gratifying idea of buying one appeals, it is unlikely. Cheers!

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed May 21, 2008 4:54 am

I don't agree with Kalgrm on this one...
The first one I built cost $54
One can use old bikes from the dump
Sure once you feel you've got it right you might want to spend a lot more on good bits... and it is adictive and one dose spend more and more but that sort of part of the fun.
Yes riding is what it's all about but building has it's own joys as well...

I have both under and over and I like both... the feel of nothing in front of you as you race down a hill is hard to beat.
I love my long bike with under
And i love my short bike with over :roll: :roll:

Recycler

byo recumbent

Postby Recycler » Wed May 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Howdy VIC, Your question re recumbents is yery hard to answer. Its all down to personal likes. Try as many different types, and ask many questions. Then think it all out, and then start over again. If you decide to build your own we will give all the help we can.

Remember you are only as old as the women you feel :oops:

vic

Postby vic » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Howdy, and thanks for your supportive replies. I'm gleaning info from the net and accumulating bikes and parts. Forming the picture in my mind keeps me amused. I appreciate your responses. Cheers, Vic

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Wed May 21, 2008 3:38 pm

I am somewhere around the same place as far as wanting one but not being rich and seriously considering building my own.

I never considered a LWB partly because right now my commute involves a train ride and I would feel too uncomfortable taking up LWB room. :roll: :oops:

I also really like the look of the lowracer style - but I need to take work stuff - so I am full of contradictions about the whole thing.

Running some sketches along a semi lowracer, with a faired in box on the rear to hold the clothes etc, and I like USS.

I've never ridden a bent of any kind though so all this may change once I eventually set my backside on one. :lol:

But I also really have to buy a bike soon as my old MTB is suffering and me with it (I am getting fit though :roll: ) and the LBS is pushing me closer to $1K which is entry level bent price range.

So I may buy one, but still want to build one - just for the sake of it. :wink:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu May 22, 2008 11:10 pm

Hello Vic,
Lots of food for thought in the replies to your post.

Under or over seat steering? I think over is easier at first but I like both. Must admit the time I came off the OSS saved me a lot. Think I'd have done damage to my hands with USS.

Building a bent is very doable and can be done quite cheaply. For LWB have a google for Recycled Recumbent. I've built several of these for self and others and they have all been good honest cheap bikes.

For SWB I have built the Bentech ( Google). Two frames now. Easy to build and can be OSS or USS. I used muffler tube and mild steel and the results were good. Right now I'm building a trike for a friend.

I have some pictures in the Show off your Bents thread if you like to look.

So if like me you can't afford to buy then take the plunge and build.

Good luck,

John Lewis

vic

Postby vic » Fri May 23, 2008 8:21 am

Hi John, you are right, lots of stuff to think about. It has been my experience in the past to vacillate between different options over something and agonise over which choice is the best. Having ridden an oss swb, I'm pretty clear I want something longer, where my arms are lower in the ride. I take your point on the safety aspects of the oss, and am still prepared to take the risk. Your LWB looks good, but my personal preference is to move the steering below. I have checked out various inspiring sites, including a couple that give reasonable instructions and plans. I have the bikes, have a welder that I need to brush up skill with, a garage, time...What am I waiting for? Thanks for your support :D

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu May 29, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Vic, as far as steering configuration goes I prefer USS, I have used both and IMHO USS is infinately more comfortable. With respect to building your own 'Bent, go your hardest. There is a wealth of knowledge and support within this forum and on the wider Net, and it's hard to match the rewarding feeling of using something you fashioned with your own hands.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

vic

Postby vic » Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the encouraging words Harry. Pardon my ignorance, you mentioned 'IMHO'...oh, I just figured that it might mean 'in my honest opinion' is that it? I amm encouraged by your account of USS, and I am eyeing off my collection of bikes and dissecting them in my mind already. I think a set of bar end shifters might do well for gear manipulation too.
I am stunned by the amount of support and info available. Cheers! Vic

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 am

... in my humble opinion ....
---------------------

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 am

G'day Vic, yeah there's a small amount of frequently used abbreviated words and phrases, which is great for two finger 'typists' like me, speeds the whole process up, LOL (laugh out loud). Back to the 'Bent, bar end shifters are the hot ticket. I shopped around locally and found the prices varied from "oooo that's a bit exy" to "Foly huck", so I ended up buying brand new from the States on Ebay for $70 Oz to my doorstep. There are some great examples of home made 'Bents on the forum, John Lewis, Leigh Caines and Recycler are three builders that spring to mind without even trying, I know there are more. There's a good opportunity for a new thread, "My homebuilt 'Bent" or something like that. I know most of these bikes have already had a showing but it'd be good to see 'em all together, Leigh, you want to start the ball rolling?

L8r

Harry :-)
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am

Heading OT (off topic) for a sec ...

I was told recently of an incident where a girl's mum didn't realise LOL meant laughs out loud. She thought it meant Lots of Love, since it was often found in a context where that would work.

She sent her daughter a text message: "Aunt Sandra has died. LOL"

Gotta sort out those abreviations before using them .... ;)

LOL,
Graeme
---------------------

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Vic,

Back on topic. Should have replied sooner but busy with new trike build and running after my wife who broke her leg falling off her upwrong. Pics shortly. Of the trike that is. LOL

I just want to mention that there is a LWB version of Bentech that looks somewhat similar to Lee's LWB. Might be worth a look. Also it would be quite easy to make the LWB like mine ( Recycled Recumbent TE clone )into USS.

By the way Lee, I really like the look of your LWB.

John Lewis