Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi all,
I got to the final stages of assembling my pro lite cuneo and noticed that the second hand set of Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters are not shifting correctly.

The left hand side shifter seems to be shifting fine but the right hand shifter is not pulling in the rear deraileur cable.

Would it be possible for me to rebuild it myself or would it be better to just find another set of shifters?

I'm going to look out for a set of Shimano 105 shifters most likely.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

by BNA » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:19 pm

BNA
 

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I've been TOLD (i don't actually know if it's true) that either all STI shifters, or at least the early ones, are completely unserviceable. However i've also heard that lubricant in 'the right spot' (of course no one ever actually specifies where this mythical right spot is) will get them going again. It's certainly worth having a crack at fixing it, have you seen the price of replacements?! :shock: .


Oh and if all else fails i have a set of 600 tricolour shifters i'm never going to use, one of them doesn't work and i have a feeling it's the opposite of your situation so happy yay if so.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby gururug » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Assuming you installed correctly ( you did shift fully down before tensioning the cable? ).

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v__P5Q6g1l4
-WD40
-Post them to the rebuild mob ( forgot there address )
-Replace
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I've been TOLD (i don't actually know if it's true) that either all STI shifters, or at least the early ones, are completely unserviceable. However i've also heard that lubricant in 'the right spot' (of course no one ever actually specifies where this mythical right spot is) will get them going again. It's certainly worth having a crack at fixing it, have you seen the price of replacements?! :shock: .


Oh and if all else fails i have a set of 600 tricolour shifters i'm never going to use, one of them doesn't work and i have a feeling it's the opposite of your situation so happy yay if so.


Thanks for the heads up mate. What a pity that they aren't as serviceable.

Would you mind if I could follow you up on those 600 tricolor shifters? Is it possible you wouldn't mind checking which one was working?

Funny how these things happen ai? You just so happened to have the one I needed hehe
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Yep sure thing, they're out at my farm and i'm not there til tuesday so will be a little wait though.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm

gururug wrote:Assuming you installed correctly ( you did shift fully down before tensioning the cable? ).

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v__P5Q6g1l4
-WD40
-Post them to the rebuild mob ( forgot there address )
-Replace


Yeah even with holding the cable in my hand I can't actually feel it tensioning up at all. The cable isn't getting tighter as i'm clicking through the gears.

Thanks for the heads up and link
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Yep sure thing, they're out at my farm and i'm not there til tuesday so will be a little wait though.


Thats really nice of you mate thanks very much
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby __PG__ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 pm

The mechanic at Bicycle Recycle in Melbourne claims to be able to rebuild Shimano STI shifters.

Have you tried spraying WD40 through the cable-guide hole in the ratchet yet?

My old 600 tricolor shifters used to fail on the downshift (i.e. letting out cable). They always worked when upshifting (i.e. pulling in cable)
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

__PG__ wrote:The mechanic at Bicycle Recycle in Melbourne claims to be able to rebuild Shimano STI shifters.

Have you tried spraying WD40 through the cable-guide hole in the ratchet yet?

My old 600 tricolor shifters used to fail on the downshift (i.e. letting out cable). They always worked when upshifting (i.e. pulling in cable)


Hey Mate,
Unfortunately mine has so far been both downshifting and upshifting. I believe the gear inside may have broke by the sounds of things.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 pm

A little update for everyone. I took the shifter off the bars and just ran the shifter without the cable in there, after a few clicks it is working perfectly now. I will run some wd40 through the shifter hole and then put some lithium grease to see if I can flush it through.

Maybe the cable was interfering with the shifter or maybe it was stuck at one point.

The only thing I was going to ask about was that my chain is touching the larger chain ring when using the smaller chain ring (and the smallest cassette gear). The only thing I could notice for this to happen could be that the cartridge doesn't seem to be sitting all the way on the rear wheel. There is about 2-3mm of the guide lines for the cassette gears showing.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby __PG__ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Are 10-speed freehubs the same width as an 8-speed freehub?

I once swapped by 8-speed cassette onto a mates' Mavic Askium (which was running 10 speed) and I never noticed any issues such as parts of the freehub still being visible.

Having said that you shouldn't be riding in the small-small combination anyway...but I bet you know that anyway ;)
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 pm

__PG__ wrote:Are 10-speed freehubs the same width as an 8-speed freehub?

I once swapped by 8-speed cassette onto a mates' Mavic Askium (which was running 10 speed) and I never noticed any issues such as parts of the freehub still being visible.

Having said that you shouldn't be riding in the small-small combination anyway...but I bet you know that anyway ;)


Yeah your not wrong with regards to small small. Just thought if I get in that combination by mistake I know the chain won't scrape.

I will have to check it over again tomorrow, but if I remember correctly the cassette and lock ring had gone in all the way and it was sitting flush.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm

I had a sticky right 600 shifter which got progressively worse over a couple of years . I soaked it in petrol for an hour, let it dry and sprayed lithium grease into it. It worked perfectly for another couple of years until I sold them. I might have just been lucky.....

Roger
rogerrabbit
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Seaforth

Re: Issues with Shimano 600 Tricolor shifters

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 pm

adrian_d wrote:The only thing I was going to ask about was that my chain is touching the larger chain ring when using the smaller chain ring (and the smallest cassette gear). The only thing I could notice for this to happen could be that the cartridge doesn't seem to be sitting all the way on the rear wheel. There is about 2-3mm of the guide lines for the cassette gears showing.

Chain rub on the side of the big ring when in small/small gear is completely normal. Only some later-model cranksets have had the chainring spacing widened to reduce this.

As for the cassette sitting on the freehub, unless you've got a 7-sp. cassette on a 8/9/10-sp. body, or a Mavic hub, which requires a 2mm spacer regardless of what cassette is on it, it will be sitting on properly. In either of those scenarios you'll know it's not right 'cos it will actually be moving on the hub. The machining of the freehub body is such that the troughed splines are cut deeper into the inner flange than the ridged ones (which have a step on the end for the cassette to tighten against), so you will see a little bit of that shaping inboard of the inner gear.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter