Redlands Classic Ride

fionahills

Redlands Classic Ride

Postby fionahills » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:36 am

Hi there

has anyone done the 50km - if so could you let me know if it is suitable for a novice getting ready for B2GC? Just wondering how lumpy it is? Still useless at deciphering the elevation profiles provided - thanks so much

brett.hooker

Re: Redlands Classic Ride

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am

Fiona,

My wife (lexie) and I drove the 50km course yesterday and I can assure you that it will be fine for you. There are a couple of hills, but they are straight forward. Definitely a great warm up for you.

Lexie is doing the 50km, and that will be her first ever real road ride. Maybe you could ride along with her and give her some comforting tips!!!

I will be doing the 100km as a warm up for the gc ride.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:52 pm

There is atleast 2 of us retro riders doing the 50km route tomorrow, we won't be setting world records, just our normal social riding, if you can find us around the start somewhere you're welcome to ride with us.

We're also hoping to have about a half a dozen bikes for the Bris2GC ride, again keeping with the Raturday Retro theme, we're more about the social aspect of riding rather than trying to prove a point or set a new 'striva' benchmark.

We're not difficult to find, we're the older (some like me are old) guys on the old retro bikes, hopefully for the GC ride we'll have our Retro Riders jersey's.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks so much we will see you there!

I am on a black, purple and white giant, one daughter on bright red & white fuji and another on a silver blue and white giant.

not sure if my hubby will make it yet -

hopefully we can find each other - thanks so much for all the help and support - you guys are terrific

fiona

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Wal42, lexie will be thrilled to hear that. She is super nervous because all she can think of is not being able to keep up with all the experienced road riders!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:54 pm

I used the 77km ride two years ago as a gauge to see how I would go for the 100km B2GC. I passed both easily after only having bought a bike four months prior (and having only ever done about three rides over 20km in my life!). At the time I was 93kg and pretty unfit. All you have to do is just keep pedalling at a comfortable pace and before you know it, you have done 50km. After that, 100km is easy, much easier than it sounds.

Anyone else do the ride in the wet last year?? It was that ride that prompted me to import a Volagi road bike with disc brakes after a couple of sketchy stopping incidents!! Man did it pour!!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry Brett,

I meant to say that if we can find each other I would be happy to ride with Lexie - Charlotte (youngest daughter17) only got her road bike a week ago - and I have only done a couple of group rides - last year - so we can all be beginners together.

as usual thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement

fiona

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I'll be riding my pure black Vertex CR1 (guaranteed to be the only one) with downtube shifters & an aero spoke front wheel, Dan is riding his Viner (I think), his doesn't use D/T shifting, I'll probably be wearing a fluro jersey (possibly Amore & Vita) not sure if I'm wearing the helmet cam but if I do, you'll notice it (big camera on the top of my helmet ).

My guess is we'll probably run around or just over 20kph, so really easy pace.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

my jersey is tri-colouer - with Paris on the back - one girl in red jersey, one in blue (i think) we are coming early as did not pre-register so early start for us from Sunny Coast for pre 6am registration.

we will be the bleary eyed ones - silver navarra -4 bikes on it

see you there - ps had to ask what a down shifter was - duh!!! you can tell I'm new!!!!

fiona

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Hope to see you guys!!!
I have a 19 year old light grey shogun metro with red panea rack and just a top panea bag tomorrow. I will be wearing a daggy yellow hi vis shirt... (No jerseys in my collection yet)
Lexie has a medium blue Avanti discovery flatbar.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:50 pm

A Vertex with down tube shifters, the gear change is on the down tube ala` bikes from the late 70's to early 90's (that'd be because the Vertex is from the late 80's)

Except I'll be running the aero spoke front wheel in it, number 687.
Last edited by Wal42 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Fiona/Brett/Lexi et al: I'll be on the Viner - matching yellow Mavic jersey I think - number 795 in any case.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Lexie is number 409
Brett is number 408

See you all in a couple of hours... :-)

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:19 pm

The daggier the shirt the better Brett. Bonus points for goonies or gremlins throwbacks.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 am

Hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable ride this morning.

Wal,
We expect to see some video footage without expletives, remember the fine system :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wazza

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:18 am

Except for the customary team kit tossers and all-round wheel sucking douches, it was great!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 am

I think I nearly managed to leave Mr Pottymouth at home, except about 4 in the first 10 minutes of the ride.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:18 pm

so how was it then? easy pace? would've been a great morning for a ride. :)

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:38 pm

We weren't trying to set any records, just a normal ride for us, lots of chatting, waving & saying hello to all & sundry. Dan waited for me on all the climbs & we did the 50kms in around 1h50m, not superstar speeds, just a nice gentle ride.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Awesome morning!

This was lexie's first group ride and her first time on the road. She did the 50k in 2:53.

I turned out the lights when I got home on the 100km... :-) 4:40 for me... 21kph average, which beats what I had hoped for so I am super happy.

Gorgeous morning for riding and it was awesome to see so many other cycling fans in enjoying the day.

See y'all in three weeks time... ;-)

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:17 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:Except for the customary team kit tossers and all-round wheel sucking douches, it was great!
What did they do to you??
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Crittski wrote:
diggerdantheman wrote:Except for the customary team kit tossers and all-round wheel sucking douches, it was great!
What did they do to you??
They forgot that it was all in support of charity. Was slightly amused to see the frustration at traffic lights screwing up strava segments. All a bit too serious, but that was the exception to the rule. All in all a great morning.

Re: wheel sucking - last thing I want is some guy (whose habits of which I know nothing) sitting 5cm off my wheel...

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Sitting 5cm of a guys rear wheel who was doing his first 50km ride & was on a 30 year old bike.

It would be nice if you would ask someone if they mind you sitting that close to their rear wheel, I purposely rode along the rough "pave`" section of the road to prevent the guy sitting on my back wheel, but why should someone spoil the enjoyment of anothers ride, if I don't want a total stranger sitting 5cms from the rear wheel of my bike then why should I be forced to endure it, the same applies to anyone else. It's a charity ride, people do these to support a charity & have a little bit of fun, not to risk an accident because someone rides right on their wheel.

Do you feel you have the right to spoil somebody else's time just because you think you have the right to draft them?

I rode with Dan the whole ride, I didn't suck his wheel, he didn't suck mine, we ride together every week so have a fair trust in each others ability, if I was going to sit on his wheel I'd let him know that I was there, if he wasn't comfortable with that then he'd say so & I'd sit beside him. I don't have the right to force him (or anyone else for that matter) to be a wind break for me when I'm riding, it's all about common courtesy.

I'm 50 years old, riding a 30 year old bike, if you have to suck my rear wheel on your 1 or 2 year old Italian bike, in your full matching Italian Pro Team kit, then in my opinion, you had better have a good hard look at your training regime, because it is obviously not working very well for you.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi all
it was a lovely morning - Tony and Kate had a great ride, charlotte found it a little lumpy (only her second ride on new bike) and she pulled the pin early - so we only did 40km (its a mother's job to stay with her kids - drat it) - but we averaged 19.8kph which was pretty good for her and me too - she was very disappointed not to make the 50 - even though we all told her how well she had done - so we came home and did another 30km this afternoon with another daughter -

Sorry did not see anyone to say hi - think I caught sight of Wal but waited at the back to start so there was no chance of getting caught out with cleat problems -

found them to be great - no problems so now happy for gold coast ride in them and have decided that hills are my friends!! if you go up you get to come down and that is great fun

thanks for all the tips - glad no-one was hurt - anyone see the accident at the round about? hopefully poor girl is OK

see you at B2GC

fiona

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 am

fionahills wrote:have decided that hills are my friends!! if you go up you get to come down and that is great fun!
That's exactly how I approach them too Fiona - with the added thought that the faster one goes up, the sooner one gets to come down... ;)