Now I have a bike what accessories do I NEED??

Hughesy

Re: Now I have a bike what accessories do I NEED??

Postby Hughesy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Parker wrote:As you said you're doing Bussleton 70.3 so you will need....

Wheels: recomend Corecarbon
Helmets x 2: One Aero, One Regular
Shoes x 1: Carbon Fibre Sole triathlon type
Bibknicks: Assos
Jersey: Assos
Tri suit: 2XU
Wetsuit: 2XU
Front Light: Moon makes a good light and is cheaper than that one that everyone on here has (Ayups... I didn't like them)
Rear light:
Co2 Cannister
Co2 Nozzle
Tyre levers
saddle bag
drink holders
drink bottles
Gloves x 2 (Winter/summer)
Arm cover to protect from sun
Arm warmers for cold
Spare tube
Garmin (nothing else matters, then sign up for strava...)
Leg warmers for cold
knee warmers
booties to cover shoes
base layer for chest
razors for shaving legs
Warm jacket
Wind Vest
Rain jacket
Socks (correct length please)
Cycling Cap
Floor pump
Wheels (must have two sets)
Chain lube (I suggest a wax one)
Sunglasses (whatever works - I've lost 5 pairs of oakleys)
Butt Cream (Chamois Cream)
That other chaffing cream
bandaids for nipples...

That's about it... I'm sure I've missed something
Oil to make your legs look extra defined
I do not need much then? I hope I have been good cos Santa is getting a list!!

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:43 pm

nescius wrote:A lot of things really come down to personal preference, something that I think is great may only be ok for someone else. Having said that, if I was you (and I had plenty of cash to spend) this is what I would buy:
I never said I had plently of money... I just like to do things properly as opposed to buying something and upgrading a few months later... :P
nescius wrote: Shoes: go for some with a nice stiff carbon sole - I have the specialized s-works road shoes (I think they were about $400)
Would love to but way out of my budget :(
nescius wrote: Bib shorts: I pretty much only wear castelli free aero race bibshorts, usually about $150 from wiggle
I have seen that brand at a number of places so it looks like they are the way to go...
nescius wrote: Jerseys: Get one with deep pockets, I hate jerseys with shallow pockets that you can't fit stuff into. I like TwinSix.
They look cool and not too expensive... a lot of them are out of stock though :?:
nescius wrote: Computer: Get the garmin, I bought my girlfriend a 310xt for her triathlons and she said it was great
I think this will have to wait til the xmas list..
nescius wrote: TT bars: If you are doing a half ironman then you will want some TT bars to get you into that aerodynamic position, I think profile are ok, I can't remember what mine are
On the list but will not be 2013 as I need to get the k's up before even considering getting TT bars
nescius wrote: Tools/puncture repair: Get some spare tubes, tyre levers, small multitool (with allen keys), mini pump. (And learn how to use it all). As mentioned above you'll need a floor pump too. Other things to consider - torque wrench, pedal spanner, chain breaker, cassette lockring tool
The LBS are hooking me up with a tube and tools.. the other things sound really confusing...
nescius wrote: Maintenance: Chain lube (I use pro-link gold, but chain lube can be a very personal thing so use whatever you like). I would also recommend that you learn how the bike works, buy a book like Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
These will be on the xmas list...
nescius wrote: And if you are really serious...
Race Wheels: Triathletes love deep rims, get some race wheels (Zipp 808s or any other deep carbon rims, Cycling Express have a special on wheels at the moment, $999 for Reynolds Assault wheelset looks ok)
I am serious but I just spent over $2k on a bike, there is no way I can afford more wheles.. 2 is enough :P
nescius wrote: Aero Helmet: There are only a couple that have the aus standads sticker, specialized and something else (can't remember which), you will go faster (or at least look more pro, as long as you don't wear it backwards)
This will be one that will be on the long list... not sure if I will be that professional by Busselton.. maybe if I go on to do the full Ironman...
nescius wrote: TriSuit: I'm not actually a triathlete so I can't comment on which are the best, but triathlon specific clothes are best for racing
I got a good price on a 2XU on ebay :)
nescius wrote: Eyewear: Oakley Jawbones, Oakley Radars
I got a pair of sunwise to keep me going til I can get a decent Oakley pair..
nescius wrote: Bike Bag: Scicon Aero Comfort, you want your bike to arrive in WA intact
I do not think I will need one of these for a while....
nescius wrote: *note: I tend to err on the side of higher end gear, and it has worked out well for me, but be warned that once you have sampled the good stuff you are unlikely to settle for second best... this can be expensive :-)
There are plenty of cheaper options available that will do just as good a job, but if you get this stuff you will fit in with the crowd :-)
I tend to err here too if I can afford it :-) I am trying to put my $ towards kit this I will use more and get value out of...

thank you for taking the time to write a detailed post.

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm

No worries mate!

If you can afford it, I would really recommend getting some TT bars for Busso, they make a massive difference to your speed. I think most people would easily be 2km/h faster with no extra effort, and that's probably 15 minutes or so off your bike leg, just make sure you get someone to help you with the setup so you are comfortable (local tri club?).

Another word of warning, all of the triathletes I know started out like you (sensible, thinking carefully about what they need etc) but they all turned into high end gear fetishists. It can be addictive, and you can end up spending big money! Cycling is bad enough, I'm at the stage where I think spending nearly $10,000 on a bike is ok, but triathletes take it to a whole new level :D

Have fun!

Also, don't worry too much about the extra tools until you get a copy of Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, then you will know what they are and what they are for. Learning to fix and maintain your own bike is a liberating experience, you don't want to have to go running to the LBS every time your derailleur needs adjusting :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

You NEED at least one spare tube, tyre levers and a way of inflating it again when you go out for anything other than a trip to the local shops.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Maybe some of this stuff?
Jersey $95
Image Image
Knicks $119.95
Image Image
We've just switched to SCODY and production started this week. Every jersey gets a free BikePure wristband till 2013. Depending on Knicks sales, we'll be upgrading to Bibs shortly.
Shameless plug to derail a perfectly good thread :)
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Maybe some of this stuff?
:? What's so important about gauges?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Maybe some of this stuff?
:? What's so important about gauges?
Keh?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:22 pm

My 2 cents. To improve your cycling the accessories you NEED are:
- clipless shoes and pedals
- A bicycle computer with a cadence sensor

These two devices will increase your pedaling efficiency and get you into good biomechanical habits.

Once you start cycling long distances you will NEED knicks. I switched to bib knicks back in 2007 and won't buy anything else.
You definitely NEED a puncture kit and you NEED to learn how to change a tube by the side of the road.

Re : Gloves. They are nice. In ye olden days I'd get huge blisters on my palms near the base of my thumb, but modern day shifter hoods may be made of softer rubber (and the ergonomics are slightly different) so you might be able to do without gloves for a while.

Re : floor pump. It's nice but its not a necessity. I lived without one for decades. If you buy a good metal full-length rack pump (i.e. a Zefal HPX) you can still get high enough pressures and can live without a floor pump.

Re : Garmin. You don't need it. I've been using the Strava App on my iPhone all year and its good enough. The only problem is on a 3GS phone the battery dies after 3+ hours so for long rides you'll have to turn it off for some segments.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:13 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:You NEED at least one spare tube, tyre levers and a way of inflating it again when you go out for anything other than a trip to the local shops.
That makes sense. Thank you

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

nescius wrote:No worries mate!

If you can afford it, I would really recommend getting some TT bars for Busso, they make a massive difference to your speed. I think most people would easily be 2km/h faster wit no extra effort, and that's probably 15 minutes or so off your bike leg, just make sure you get someone to help you with the setup so you are comfortable (local tri club?).
I will definetly be getting TT bars but it will be after Xmas once I get some Kms under my belt and start doing some decent length rides
nescius wrote:Another word of warning, all of the triathletes I know started out like you (sensible, thinking carefully about what they need etc) but they all turned into high end gear fetishists. It can be addictive, and you can end up spending big money! Cycling is bad enough, I'm at the stage where I think spending nearly $10,000 on a bike is ok, but triathletes take it to a whole new level :D

Have fun!

Also, don't worry too much about the extra tools until you get a copy of Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, then you will know what they are and what they are for. Learning to fix and maintain your own bike is a liberating experience, you don't want to have to go running to the LBS every time your derailleur needs adjusting :D
I have already started buying stuff I'm not sure ill need on ebay so I'm no doubt ill be a crazy triathlon high-end gear purchaser but hopefully the fact I'm trying to save for a house will slow me down...

I might see if I can download that book as opposed to waiting for Xmas

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:38 am

__PG__ wrote:My 2 cents. To improve your cycling the accessories you NEED are:
- clipless shoes and pedals
- A bicycle computer with a cadence sensor
Thank you for your two cents.
I'm definetly getting clipless shoes. I've eyed a pair at $99 but I'm tempted to spend a little more if its worth it.
Not sure what a cadence sensor is but ill google it now :-)
__PG__ wrote:Once you start cycling long distances you will NEED knicks. I switched to bib knicks back in 2007 and won't buy anything else.
You definitely NEED a puncture kit and you NEED to learn how to change a tube by the side of the road.
Bibs are in transit from probikekit (Just hope they are the right size :p) I've replaced tyres years ago on mbk's so I hope it won't be too different.
__PG__ wrote:Re : floor pump. It's nice but its not a necessity. I lived without one for decades. If you buy a good metal full-length rack pump (i.e. a Zefal HPX) you can still get high enough pressures and can live without a floor pump.
saw one for $50 so that's not too bad...
__PG__ wrote:Re : Garmin. You don't need it. I've been using the Strava App on my iPhone all year and its good enough. The only problem is on a 3GS phone the battery dies after 3+ hours so for long rides you'll have to turn it off for some segments.
I agree. Computer and iPhone will do me til I can afford the garmin 910

Thank you again

Rex Chan

Postby Rex Chan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: punctures - road bikes/tyres seem to get a lot more punctures than mtb, but it's no big deal to learn how to fix them. And one you do, getting a puncture is just a minor annoyance (unless you're running late/in a race). You can learn how to on YouTube.

Regarding downloading the book - again, just consult YouTube for any bike maintenance procedures (watch a few videos, as some people have different ways to do things). Or read forums/websites. Personally, I've learnt how to fix punctures, adjust brakes, adjust shifting/rear derailuer, adjust spoke tension. Granted, none of these things are terribly complicated, but the availability of bike fixing knowledge via Google/YouTube does make me wonder about why some people still go to their LBS for the simple stuff.

BTW: A cheap cycle computer is only $25, and is handy to have, even with a Garmin. (I use an A8 VDO, and my sister's Forerunner 610 for heartrate/GPS map). A bell? Moon make bright, USB rechargable rear lights, which attach with a rubber strap (Moon Shield). Front light I use a cheapo Moon blinker and Deal eXtreme torch. $30 for 900 (claimed) lumens. Though my new DX torch has gone dim (after a few drops), so you do get what you pay for (big bang for buck/tech, but low QC).

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Rex Chan wrote: Regarding downloading the book - again, just consult YouTube for any bike maintenance procedures (watch a few videos, as some people have different ways to do things). Or read forums/websites. Personally, I've learnt how to fix punctures, adjust brakes, adjust shifting/rear derailuer, adjust spoke tension. Granted, none of these things are terribly complicated, but the availability of bike fixing knowledge via Google/YouTube does make me wonder about why some people still go to their LBS for the simple stuff.
I've found the Park tool repair blog and Sheldon Brown's website the best.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 am

Guys,

I have a question about the ay-ups... is it $275 for just the front lights?

What are the recommended alternatives?

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 am

Hughesy wrote:Guys,

Yes, $275 will get you the V-Twin sports kit which only contains one set of lights (along with battery, mounting systems, charger, etc.)

I think a lot of people just buy some LED lights from somewhere like DealExtreme, sorry I don't know which ones are worth buying though.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 am

nescius wrote:
Hughesy wrote:Guys,

Yes, $275 will get you the V-Twin sports kit which only contains one set of lights (along with battery, mounting systems, charger, etc.)

I think a lot of people just buy some LED lights from somewhere like DealExtreme, sorry I don't know which ones are worth buying though.
I have this one. 2 winters now. no problems. it's one of the heavier ones around but i do get about 5 hours on high out of it (I only run it on high when conditions are really bad). note the batteries are very well protected in that case. much better than the heat-shrunk cases.

so for $275 i can buy 3.5 sets of my lights. or 1 set of my lights and 6 spare battery packs

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I made a switch to Ayups (extra 40%, moderate beam) about two months ago after a year on the 'magicshine' P7 lights. Yes theyre a much nicer solid well built unit. Though I don't believe theyre worth the $275 I paid and I also preferred the light throw of my cheapo P7s. If it wasn't for my k-edge garmin mount, I'd probably mount two Ayups (moderate + narrow).
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:47 am

I do not think I will do that much night rinding initially to justify Ayups so I have gone with:

Moon X-Power 300 Head Light - $80 & PDW RADBOT 1000 Rear LED Bike Light - $16.50 (+$10 delivery) from this link is broken

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 am

Hughesy wrote:PDW RADBOT 1000 Rear LED Bike Light - $16.50 (+$10 delivery) from this link is broken
great choice on the radbot. I've got one (and a DX cheapie for a bit more light).
Last edited by jasonc on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

jasonc wrote:
Hughesy wrote:PDW RADBOT 1000 Rear LED Bike Light - $16.50 (+$10 delivery) from <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://Cellbikes.com"><span>Cellbikes</span><span>.</span><span>com</span></a>.au
great choice on the radbot. I've got one (and a DX cheaper for a bit more light).
Thanks. Can't go wrong for $16.50 :P

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Hughesy wrote:I do not think I will do that much night rinding initially to justify Ayups so I have gone with:

Moon X-Power 300 Head Light - $80 & PDW RADBOT 1000 Rear LED Bike Light - $16.50 (+$10 delivery) from this link is broken
One tip for the Radbot: Carry spare batteries. They're a great unit but once the batteries hit a certain level they switch off. No dim out to let you know it's time...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Hughesy wrote:I do not think I will do that much night rinding initially to justify Ayups so I have gone with:

One tip for the Radbot: Carry spare batteries. They're a great unit but once the batteries hit a certain level they switch off. No dim out to let you know it's time...
Thanks for the tip. And I suppose I will not find out til I get home as the light is behind me!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 am

Mulger bill wrote:

that's my reason for getting the $5 dx cheapie. double the light when they are both working. and the batteries will die at different rates

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am

Yep, I have 2 rears for exactly this reason so when the radbot switches offi still have something flashing rearwards!

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 am

Pics uf my pic are up for those interested :-) Hit my sig