Kwinana PSP upgrade works

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Yesterday I noticed two of the detour signs in bateman had blown over inthe storm. I was on an extreme clock so I left them for some one else to deal with.

I was a bit surprosed (and disappointed) to see these signs in what looked to be the same place and alignment this morning. How many hudreds of riders would have passed that point since the morning before? :cry:

This time I was not pressed for time so I put them back up. If you do see something like this how about hopping off for a moment and dealing with it?

(I came across a third one further along which may also have been another ignored casualty of the storm.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Yesterday I noticed two of the detour signs in bateman had blown over inthe storm. I was on an extreme clock so I left them for some one else to deal with.

I was a bit surprosed (and disappointed) to see these signs in what looked to be the same place and alignment this morning. How many hudreds of riders would have passed that point since the morning before? :cry:

This time I was not pressed for time so I put them back up. If you do see something like this how about hopping off for a moment and dealing with it?

(I came across a third one further along which may also have been another ignored casualty of the storm.)
too true Colin; guilty as charged....I went through the other day on my return and considered stopping ..but would you believe that at that moment the rain came pelting down and my priorities changed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 am

Main Roads started last night on evening construction works for a pedestrian underpass at South St, should take 4 weeks. Possibly this underpass is the gaping holes dug out halfway along either side of South St between the station and the uni, where my suggested detour used to be. The path that used to come off Urbahns St where it bent as it came parallel with South St, that path is no more. Similarly the bit of path that took us off the freeway path onto Joyce St before Parry Ave is no more, instead we have the tour de Bateman. All something to tell the grandkids about. 3 more months.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:Main Roads started last night on evening construction works for a pedestrian underpass at South St, should take 4 weeks. Possibly this underpass is the gaping holes dug out halfway along either side of South St between the station and the uni, where my suggested detour used to be. The path that used to come off Urbahns St where it bent as it came parallel with South St, that path is no more. Similarly the bit of path that took us off the freeway path onto Joyce St before Parry Ave is no more, instead we have the tour de Bateman. All something to tell the grandkids about. 3 more months.
Yeah I attempted that detour today, and went !!! Dead detour ok follow the route hmm
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 am

This morning on my work bound commute i was half way into the "Tour De Bateman" when i realised the detour signage was missing! i reconnected onto the psp and found that the detour is no more! :) The work has been completed due south up to Parry rd... :!: What a nice surface it is too! :wink:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:17 am

dino1969 wrote:This morning on my work bound commute i was half way into the "Tour De Bateman" when i realised the detour signage was missing! i reconnected onto the psp and found that the detour is no more! :) The work has been completed due south up to Parry rd... :!: What a nice surface it is too! :wink:
Yep - and if you look on to the underpass at Parry Ave you will see a wider path and a line with good visibility. As it should always have been.

Hopefully we have seen the last of any collisions there.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Well yay cycled on the new section, but I gotta comment on that UGLY wall next to it. MY GOD what have they done... I hope tye plants something in front of it

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 am

Baalzamon wrote:Well yay cycled on the new section, but I gotta comment on that UGLY wall next to it. MY GOD what have they done... I hope tye plants something in front of it
Baalz, remember this one? And i loosely paraphrase Pres.R.R "MR.Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am

Baalzamon wrote:Well yay cycled on the new section, but I gotta comment on that UGLY wall next to it. MY GOD what have they done... I hope tye plants something in front of it
It'll be ful of grafitti soon enough.

But more importantly, at least those who back up onto the freeway will appreciate it. Even more so when they do the same on the area around Scandrett Way and London Way.

And I am already missing that ugly black labrador that used to snap and bark as I rode along Morhett Crescent. :lol:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

What they have down further down the Kwinana FWY PSP past safety bay rd is much much nicer, but grey concrete.... Why couldn't they paint graffiti art over it. Well a section of it needs it, others can have plants/trees infront of it

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 pm

::bump::

Anyone using the PSP bike lantern crossing over South St at the freeway/station crossing, please increase your vigilance a bit while all the roadworks are happening there. A week or so ago I was in the back of a cab about to head north on the freeway during the arvo peak, and the car in front of us completely blew the red light at speed, seconds before a cyclist came through the crossing. Thought it was just a one-off texting imbecile but today in the car I saw something similar in the same spot. I suspect that some drivers are getting distracted by the orange pole markers funnelling the lanes together further ahead, or something, and are somehow failing to notice the lights.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:02 am

Those intersections around Murdoch train station are going to stay dicey for a while, put it down to the freeway widening and traffic jams if you want. Plus idiot drivers in a hurry.

As far as the freeway widening works' effect on the PSPs we're getting back bits of our paths but the project is at least a month behind schedule. The bit of path behind George Welby Park from Scandrett Way to Parry Ave should have been ours two months ago. The entire PSP from Leach to South should be re-opened this month, unlikely. And for those doing detours be aware that a whole new project is starting up this month, expect more disruption along South St and Murdoch Dr as they upgrade the roads around the hospital over the next 12 months.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Sorry, struggling to keep track of which bits are open/closed on the PSP. Currently I'm taking Murdoch Drive from just before Farrington Rd through to Leach Hwy. As per: http://app.strava.com/activities/27290436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this still my best bet or have some/all of those sections through Murdoch opened up?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:27 pm

At the mo' your route is okay but is under threat, at least for the bit along Murdoch Dr that passes the St John of Fiona Stanley hospital complex. If you were to use the Kwinana PSP right now heading south you'd still have to cross Leach Hwy at the lights, have the PSP back to Parry Ave but then have to get off for a backroads tour after Parry, can get back onto the PSP from Scandrett but then still have to cross South St at the lights and take that detour around the new carpark before you find the PSP again to get away from Murdoch train station. Of course changes are expected in the next month or two or three, sometimes overnight.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:What they have down further down the Kwinana FWY PSP past safety bay rd is much much nicer, but grey concrete.... Why couldn't they paint graffiti art over it. Well a section of it needs it, others can have plants/trees infront of it
For the record they started painting it very soon after. Looks fine. Indeed better than a lot of others.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for that. My alternate route (generally come home this way) is via Berrigan Dr and up Karel Ave to Leach Hwy. Not a fan of the traffic on either route.

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 am

Just a heads for those of you who haven't hit these detours in a while, they've recently changed everything around again south of Murdoch. Now the detour heads up to Fiona Stanley just after the parking ramp, then hits the new road south of Barry Marshall. Also, Barry Marshall has traffic coming from both directions now, so make sure to check both ways now before riding across.

And here's what the South St. offramp path underpass looks like as of now (click for big):

It's gonna be ages before all that is cleaned up and we get the path finished under South St.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am

Does get rid of that substandard bit of detour path between the PSP and carpark, at least. Also they've installed a new bit of path connecting Urbahns Cres to the South St path and crossover midway between traffic lights, adjacent to the old bit of path but too close to the roadworks there so you'll find half the time that Urbahns is closed off.
Not sure if they're realigning/widening the lefthand northbound exit at Leach Hwy or just preparing to lay hardware under the road, does look like they're about to remove a decent chunk of the concrete PSP where it crosses at Leach. So you might get detours yet again or a gravel ramp to ride up. Pity that they couldn't wait until the PSP is restored under Leach, that was supposed to happen already.

Dez

Postby Dez » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 am

I took the Kwinana PSP from Hope Road (Roe Hwy) up to Canning Bridge this morning.

What a colossal mindfrick. Now I remember why I have been going the extra 7km via Fremantle and along the river instead.

I feel sorry for those of you who have to deal with that mess every day.

Maybe bikes could get a lane of the freeway during peak hour while these works are on, we'd be faster than the cars!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Does get rid of that substandard bit of detour path between the PSP and carpark, at least. Also they've installed a new bit of path connecting Urbahns Cres to the South St path and crossover midway between traffic lights, adjacent to the old bit of path but too close to the roadworks there so you'll find half the time that Urbahns is closed off.
Not sure if they're realigning/widening the lefthand northbound exit at Leach Hwy or just preparing to lay hardware under the road, does look like they're about to remove a decent chunk of the concrete PSP where it crosses at Leach. So you might get detours yet again or a gravel ramp to ride up. Pity that they couldn't wait until the PSP is restored under Leach, that was supposed to happen already.
They are realigning the road. You may notice that the push-button signal has already been moved back several metres which will give you an idea of how far the road is being moved.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
just4tehhalibut wrote:Not sure if they're realigning/widening the lefthand northbound exit at Leach Hwy or just preparing to lay hardware under the road, does look like they're about to remove a decent chunk of the concrete PSP where it crosses at Leach. So you might get detours yet again or a gravel ramp to ride up. Pity that they couldn't wait until the PSP is restored under Leach, that was supposed to happen already.
They are realigning the road. You may notice that the push-button signal has already been moved back several metres which will give you an idea of how far the road is being moved.
I came through there about quarter to nine last night, and they had blocked off that crossing altogether, apparently to put down a limestone path. There were detour signs pointing off to the left towards Moolyeen. So off I toddled, until the controllers stopped me and offered to chaperone me (walking) through the roadworks back to the crossing to keep heading north. I even got waved through with one of those airport runway light-sabre things, I felt pretty special!

They said they were only shutting it off for the night, how was it this morning? (off the bike today, another story ...)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Lizzy wrote:They said they were only shutting it off for the night, how was it this morning? (off the bike today, another story ...)
Nothing but sand when I went through this morning. Seemed packed down pretty good, but still, riding over an unknown sandy patch when there's a big pit right off to both sides isn't exactly ideal. I'm sure it will be wonderful after the next big rain... :)

I'm ranting now, but is it too much to ask that they finish and reopen some of these sections before closing off more? Seems like every day I'm dodging new works, with the only thing reopened being that tiny section between Perry and Leach that doesn't really improve times vs the old detour. I'm going to lose it if they close off the path under Farrington before they reopen South/Perry/Leach. The temporary Farrington exit ramp has already been proposed and is waiting on funding, and they're hoping to have it finished by late 2013. If they want to hit that date, then they'll have to start works in the next couple months.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:10 pm

How about some goodish news for once?

The workers were packing down the path under Parry Ave yesterday in preparation for paving, so we might actually get that section opened sooner rather than later. I couldn't tell if they were doing the whole section from Perry to Scandrett, or just under Parry, but either way it will sure be nice to be riding under the road again. That roundabout up top is probably the most dangerous bit of all the detours. For those of you keeping track, it's been closed for 14 months now, with the initial emails saying it would be reopened in Nov 2011. :)

And on the South St path, they're making some very fast progress on the new section. Rollers were out packing down that down this morning as well, dare I say it might be opened before the end of the year?

I think they need to do a bunch of works right where the current detour is running, which is why the new path seems to be going in at a decent pace.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I had a look see the other day at where the works at Scandrett Way and Goyder place in Bateman were going.

Well, it SHOULD have been satisfying, seeing as they had completed it.

But it seems that competing it was simply to put up the tall concrete sound barriers. It did NOT involve - as I had assumed it would - separating the path fromt the roads.

Traffic separation? That was a no brainer. Now it will NEVER happen as that will involve undoing much of the wall work.

Weird. And a lost opportunity.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm

^ I believe this will be done under WABN funding.