Flinders Ranges Flats ??

Nitram

Flinders Ranges Flats ??

Postby Nitram » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi South Australians,

Just heading over to spend a couple of weeks cruising the around the Flinders Ranges in the 4X4, and thinking of taking a couple of mtn bikes along.
Does anyone know if its one of those places that you get a million flats as soon as you get off the tar ? I remember going to Dubbo Zoo with the kids and taking bikes. We all had two flats each within 10 mins !

Cheers,

Nitram in the Blue Mountains

jbchybridrider

Re: Flinders Ranges Flats ??

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:56 am

I've been there in 4x4's possibly 20 times and ridden enduro motorcycles there and my MTB only once, never had a puncture with anything yet. You need good tyres on your vehicle at the right pressure to avoid trouble though as non sealed roads are harsh.
I rode the MTB along the Artimore Ruins track "slightly NW of Blinman" There's no thorns to worry about and it's very shale like rocky. I hope your still going to take spare tubes though.
A tip, the southern flinders is very well setup for tourists and from Blinman onwards to the north to the Gammon Ranges it's more isolated and the roads and tracks get rougher that's my favorite region. MTBing is good from the most southerly flinders all the way north but it would pay to do research on the best places to ride so you know where to go for it, it's a big region with long distances between places. Actually thinking about it more I may have had a few punctures on motorbikes but that's from riding the rocks at high speed not a problem with a MTB though.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am

Hope you haven't left before reading my post..... Have fun anyway.

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Just back home tonight.
Thanks for your help, 'though I'm just reading your posting now !
No flats, and plenty of riding. No sign of any thorns, but there's no shortage of rocks !
The section of the Mawson Trail north from Wilpena is really excellent- loved it. Wouldn't mind doing the whole lot, although there are large slabs of it that seems to just follow roads. Still good, and a great idea.