Bike Rack and number plate

jacob_T

Bike Rack and number plate

Postby jacob_T » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 pm

I've done a google search and hunted around the forum, so apologies if this has already been addressed...

From what I've read, to have a bike rack on the back of your car, the number plate must be clearly visible or supplemented with a bike rack number plate (which apparently will cost me about $80).

Would it be legal to relocate your number plate, say, lower down on your vehicle or to the side a bit, so it would be more visible, with the bike rack?

ozzymac

Re: Bike Rack and number plate

Postby ozzymac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi,
Yes, it's ok to move the original number plate so it's visible.

Last time I had my rack on, I used cable ties to attach my plate to the bike rack so it was in plane view.

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:01 pm

With the proviso that it will still have to be illuminated at night...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Or don't drive at night :-)

Cheers

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:40 pm

They don't make it easy hey?

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

herzog wrote:They don't make it easy hey?
Haha. Not at all.
Does it have to be illuminated if you have one of those special bike rack plates?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:42 pm

jacob_T wrote:
herzog wrote:They don't make it easy hey?
Haha. Not at all.
Does it have to be illuminated if you have one of those special bike rack plates?
Yes, the special plate must be illuminated.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 pm

jacob_T wrote:I've done a google search and hunted around the forum, so apologies if this has already been addressed...

From what I've read, to have a bike rack on the back of your car, the number plate must be clearly visible or supplemented with a bike rack number plate (which apparently will cost me about $80).

Would it be legal to relocate your number plate, say, lower down on your vehicle or to the side a bit, so it would be more visible, with the bike rack?
Good answers on this thread Jacob and here are a few other bits of advice.

Don't be tempted to use a home made plate or you face a fine for displaying a non-compliant plate in addition to the fine for obscuring the original.

I use a little Knog led bike lamp strapped to a pedal or chainring - whatever - to illuminate the licence plate at night. It's safe and effective.

The policing effort goes into a partially obscured plate and totally obscured tail lamps.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:00 pm

gcouyant wrote:
jacob_T wrote:I've done a google search and hunted around the forum, so apologies if this has already been addressed...

Don't be tempted to use a home made plate or you face a fine for displaying a non-compliant plate in addition to the fine for obscuring the original.

I use a little Knog led bike lamp strapped to a pedal or chainring - whatever - to illuminate the licence plate at night. It's safe and effective.

The policing effort goes into a partially obscured plate and totally obscured tail lamps.
Ah yeah. I've heard of those fines for home made jobs.
I'll have to have a fiddle and see what I can come up with.
It's turning out to be more effort than it's worth. Maybe I'll just have to start riding everywhere and ditch the car.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 am

jacob_T wrote:
gcouyant wrote:

Ah yeah. I've heard of those fines for home made jobs.
I'll have to have a fiddle and see what I can come up with.
It's turning out to be more effort than it's worth. Maybe I'll just have to start riding everywhere and ditch the car.
I ended up finding a pretty easy solution to this problem. Roof racks.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:35 pm

gcouyant wrote:I use a little Knog led bike lamp strapped to a pedal or chainring - whatever - to illuminate the licence plate at night. It's safe and effective.

Great tip, I was about to wire up a whole light board for my bike rack, but this is much easier, as long as my tail light and indicators are still visible
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm

im_no_pro wrote:

Yeah Roof Racks could be pretty ideal for some. But I don't have any on my car, so it'd be a fair bit of money to install both the racks, and the bike attachments.
I also have to access a multi-level carpark with a low roof fairly regularly, and I'm not sure how a bike on the roof would mix with that. Aha.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:57 pm

find_bruce wrote:Great tip, I was about to wire up a whole light board for my bike rack, but this is much easier, as long as my tail light and indicators are still visible
Exactly...

We (and most of our customers) who travel into remote regions on rough tracks never ever use plug in aux tail lamps because they do fail and when they do invariably cause havoc with the vehicle's fuses and electrical system - especially on some of the modern vehicles with mux type wiring.

Keeping it simple means more time to relax and ride.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 am

Picked up my bike rack plate from the local RTA yesterday. Perhaps not so ironic that there was nowhere to lock my bike, other than the water meter out the front!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 am

jacob_T wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:

Yeah Roof Racks could be pretty ideal for some. But I don't have any on my car, so it'd be a fair bit of money to install both the racks, and the bike attachments.
I also have to access a multi-level carpark with a low roof fairly regularly, and I'm not sure how a bike on the roof would mix with that. Aha.
Yep, car park complexes can be a pain with roofracks (as can maccas drive-thru's). I ended up picking up a second hand set of roofracks on eBay and getting the bike holders cheap from torpedo7 so the outlay wasnt anywhere near as bad as it could have been. I dont have a towbar on my car and would have had to install a factory one as its a company leased vehicle which gets changed every 3 years so roofracks ended up being the cheaper option anyway, all I have to do is buy a new foot pack for the roof racks each time I change cars instead of install a new towbar.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.