NEWBIE CLIPLESS ADVICE PLEASE

fionahills

NEWBIE CLIPLESS ADVICE PLEASE

Postby fionahills » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Sorry to become a serial pest but yet another question -

have struggled to get confident on clipless but last two rides felt almost competent! BUT I clip out right foot first and clip in left to take off again- its a big no-no according to everything I've read - I understand why - keep away from the chain and lean away from the road but I have tried and tried to do it the right way and I get in a mess - with the right foot so far no problems.

Is this something that I should worry about - will it mark me out forever as an old dork - 'pretending' to ride a bike! or can I keep going right foot first and just be careful of traffic.

Its all very well to be a 52 year old slow coach but somethings should NOT be done - is this one of them??

Thanks again for any help.

RonK

Re: NEWBIE CLIPLESS ADVICE PLEASE

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:04 pm

No, clip in and out with whichever foot is comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong side.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,
Just clip in which ever way works for you.
As long as you unclip before stopping , that's the most important thing, as to how you take off, if you have a way you are comfortable with just keep doing it.

Just enjoy your riding.

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi,
Just clip in which ever way works for you.
As long as you unclip before stopping , that's the most important thing, as to how you take off, if you have a way you are comfortable with just keep doing it.

Just enjoy your riding.

Cheers
I'm gonna clip this out and frame it for the wall of the poolroom, best clipless advice ever!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 pm

there isn't a right or wrong way to unclip and take off. Do it however you feel its comfortable.

This isn't the pro peleton, no one cares if you do it their way or not. And if they criticise you, blow 'em a kiss and tell 'em to shove it up their arse.

keep riding!

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Never heard about a right or wrong way to clip in or out. Honestly some people think way too much about this cycling gaff. Don't take their advice just keep practicing. It's just riding a bike It's not rocket surgery.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:08 am

Have your dominant power leg clipped in when you take off, you've already discovered your dominant leg because that's the one that feels right when you exert power on it. If in your case, if that's the right leg then do it that way, cycling can be very easy (like golf) & if you do what naturally works for you body then you'll be better (or get better quicker) at it.

Remember that not everybodies body mechanics are the same, in fact people are usually slightly different, that's what makes us individuals, what's right for someone else is probably not right for you. Look at any/all of the pros on the pro-tour circuit, they all cycle a little bit differently (golfers are the same, swing mechanics I mean, not pedaling action), it's the way their bone structure is, their muscle mass & fast/slow twitch muscle program, stature, body shape, proportion, etc., as you can see their are many variables, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' just what is the most efficient way for each person.

(OH, In my opinion). :lol:

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:06 am

Just use clips and straps I still do, never had a problem yet in 26 years works fine for me. I don't care what people think. But then again all my bikes are steel. I spose old school pedals and straps would look stupid on a carbon bike. Maybe I should just shut up. :lol:
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:54 pm

fionahills wrote:Sorry to become a serial pest but yet another question -

have struggled to get confident on clipless but last two rides felt almost competent! BUT I clip out right foot first and clip in left to take off again- its a big no-no according to everything I've read - I understand why - keep away from the chain and lean away from the road but I have tried and tried to do it the right way and I get in a mess - with the right foot so far no problems.

Thanks again for any help.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, especially as no one else has asked the question, but, are you unclipping both feet when stopping? When I come to a stop, I clip out my right foot and balance on my right foot with my left foot still clipped in.

Bonus for me when I started riding, a work colleague lent me her wind trainer to practice clipping in and out with. First night I spent a half an hour doing this, and then out in the back streets at about 1am.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Don't worry about which foot you use. I also have heard similar advice about being able to put your left foot on gutter etc when stopped at lights, leaning away from cars etc (shouldn't be THAT close) but i'm with you - also put my right foot down first (unclip) and left foot in first. Figured out might have something to do with the amount of rotation in my left hip but i don't worry about it now. just feels a bit wierd at lights when everyone else is leaning the wrong way :D
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Thank you everyone

Awesome advice from you all - I agree that sometimes it can all get a bit too serious ( I am gulity of this big time) and lets face it at 52 I'm not going to the Olympics!!

Rode in traffic today, 30 kms - no problems with the clipless - did a steep hill (only short) and did not fall over and stopped without any issues - even taking off again I usually (!) found the second pedal pretty quickly - basically stopped stressing about it and just enjoyed the ride.

Tomorrow the redland bay ride - only the 50km but will do it clipless, will take my time, give everyone else plenty of space (for both our sakes)

Interesting lesson from youngest daughter (17)- got her first road bike last saturday - first ride last night - (she's at boarding school) - no one had told her that clipless were hard and that riding on the drops was tricky so she went out today and just did 30 km no worries.....

when I told her how impressed I was cos it was all so hard she laughed and said that no-one had told her and told me to stop reading the books - 'they were doing my head in' mmmmm.

So from now on I will try to relax and enjoy it - but reserve the right the keep asking pesky questions - thanks again Fiona

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:07 pm

fionahills wrote:...basically stopped stressing about it and just enjoyed the ride.
Well done grashoppah, you have discovered enlightenment :D
Don't think, don't look, just relax and let your foot flow into engagement. Become one with the bicycle. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Classic and sensible to boot!!!

thanks