The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Biffidus

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Biffidus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:It was public, but SmellyTofu didn't like Zero's comments so has edited his comment & set the vid to private
Aww that's no fun... I'm in video withdrawal since the moron motorists thread was locked!

I should get a video camera and make a weekly compilation of the close passes I get from cars who have to beat me to the next intersection, roundabout or bottleneck.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 am

zero wrote: Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.
Depends - there are other road laws that can be breached by randomly stopping in the road. The best practice is to just obey the road rules and act in a predictable fashion, wether driving a car or on a bike.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 am

twizzle wrote:
zero wrote: Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.
Depends - there are other road laws that can be breached by randomly stopping in the road. The best practice is to just obey the road rules and act in a predictable fashion, wether driving a car or on a bike.
There was no random stopping in the road. Stopping to give way to somebody, stopping because you worry that a collision may occur, stopping to let somebody in to a stream of traffic. These are all sensible things that are in not way illegal.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am

Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

Skilled circus family or plain stupidity...

JM

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Dangerous indeed! Dumb pedestrian was the kid who ran straight into me - not looking where he was going. I'd stopped already in preparation for that.

The other dumb pedestrian was of the dark coloured, slithering type that went across the path in front of me and another cyclist. :shock: Snakes are not nice. :shock:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Driving home last night (roughly 8pm) I noted the cars ahead acting strange. I slow down and then I see her. A dark skinned young lass (20ish) wearing dark clothes walking against the traffic in the middle of the lane, intentionally trying to block oncoming traffic. She flips me and my missus two birds as I swerve to avoid her and think about calling the Police but think I can't be bothered (I have developed a DGAF attitude which I'm quite ashamed of :( )

I caught it all on my Contour however the quality is very poor. The Contour isn't cutting it as a dashcam. Although it only a dashcam when I drive which isn't that often
2012 Oppy A4

csy75

Postby csy75 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

i called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate, i cycle here 3 times a week and dont do this.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 am

csy75 wrote:this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

i called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate, i cycle here 3 times a week and dont do this.

I don't see anything dumb about the actions cyclist. I do see law breaking but I don't see dumbness. :wink:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

csy75 wrote:this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

I think he was planning on riding through the red light.... but the traffic was too heavy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

Kenzo wrote:

I think he was planning on riding through the red light.... but the traffic was too heavy.
if he was going to ride right through - dumb. i'd still prefer to wait near/just in front of the line...

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

csy75 wrote:I called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate...
Yes, riding like this is basically the opposite of cycling advocacy.

Gain 10 metres and 10 more motorists thinking bikes should have number plates.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

This should be interesting. Found a new sweet jump courtsey of the Brisbane City Council or Telstra. They installed this bad boy when they poped on over on Thursday to resurface the footpath after recent works and left the unused cement to dry in the middle of the footpath. I just wish they would remove the fencing so I could take some sweet jumps on it with my bike :lol: :lol:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:

maestro

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:
The pits would have been there before the footpath. (If you were putting in cables, would you install them under existing concrete, or under the grass to the side?)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

maestro wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:
The pits would have been there before the footpath. (If you were putting in cables, would you install them under existing concrete, or under the grass to the side?)
I don't know how long the pits have been there as I can't recall but I'm sure they were installed about 15 years ago on purpose into the footpath when the whole footpath was replaced/installing fibreoptic cables. Back then there were large trees outside every property between the current footpath and road (similar to the ones futher down the road in the photo) but some have since been removed due to burst water mains, damage to houses, cracks in the road, jumps forming on the footpath, council buses hitting branches etc. Last week they dug up all the footpaths surrounding them and resurfaced them again (as you can tell by the footpath changing colour 3 times) as some had turned into jumps, cracks formed, others constantly had the cement grinding machines going over them etc. The pic was a quick joke at the two bucket sized chunk of what was wet cement that had been left there since Thursday which has now dried and is still just sitting there behind a orange fence that was pretty much blowing in todays wind :P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I had a runner suddenly turn right in front of me, and sadly we collided. I stayed upright, no damage to bike or either of us apart from my pretty sore knee that whacked into something.

With the gusty wind I was already being cautious to avoid getting blown about. We all survive to live another day and I'm going to get a lotto ticket.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.
I admit that my startlement was prolly the cause of my very loud exclamation of "JERK!". I'm normally more polite than that.

I highly doubt that Mr Krome is a member of this esteemed company seeing as he had the look of someone working off his DUI suspension but should he be, I note, Cur your suggestion to attempt self fertilisation and humbly request that you be man enough to halt your motion next time so that I may demonstrate the technique upon your mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, drooling person. I was the bearded bloke in the hiviz orange shirt and blue cap.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.
I admit that my startlement was prolly the cause of my very loud exclamation of "JERK!". I'm normally more polite than that.

I highly doubt that Mr Krome is a member of this esteemed company seeing as he had the look of someone working off his DUI suspension but should he be, I note, Cur your suggestion to attempt self fertilisation and humbly request that you be man enough to halt your motion next time so that I may demonstrate the technique upon your mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, drooling person. I was the bearded bloke in the hiviz orange shirt and blue cap.
I am not sure that he can read. Perhaps you could draw some stick drawings for him instead.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.

I see someone like that and I try and get in their way. Sometimes not wise but I do find that sort of behaviour pisses me off, not least because it hardens attitudes against cyclists and cycling.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I know, but what the hey. I mighta impeded his progress if I had half a chance but he was too bl00dy quick.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Sydguy wrote:Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

JM
Guy at work tried the shopping bag trick a couple of years back. He woke up in an ambulance.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 am

forgot I saw one last week.

said cyclist was riding down through roma st parklands share path (brisbane). I was about to overtake them when they came to a complete stop. reason: their jacket wrapped around the front fork. :shock:

lucky it was the front fork and not the wheel me thinks

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

Mulger bill wrote:I know, but what the hey. I mighta impeded his progress if I had half a chance but he was too bl00dy quick.
Saw one of these types this morning on Loftus Street/Bridge Street corner in Sydney around 8:03am on a road bike. He stopped, put his foot up on the kerb and then when the coast looked clear, way he went through the red light, half across the pedestrian crossing as if that made it less contemptible.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

twizzle wrote:
Sydguy wrote:Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

JM
Guy at work tried the shopping bag trick a couple of years back. He woke up in an ambulance.

Sent from my iThingy...
I regularly do the shopping bag off the handlebars. It really is no big deal.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

Cyclist comes off the bike path at Tooronga road, rides along the foot path rather than the road so he can cross with the peds at the ped crossing. Problem is, like a few cyclists, at the crossing instead of moving to the side whilst still on the bike or lining up vertically with the path so peds can get passed, this dumb cyclist has his bike horizontally across the path, forcing me and others to move around him. I don't have a problem with him using the ped crossing its the lack of respect and courtesy to the peds who are supposed to be on the path that annoyed me, by all means share but use your bloody head mate and let others pass...
Happy Days