Unhealthy practices seen while riding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

Re: Unhealthy practices seen while riding

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 20, 2012 1:53 am

:lol:

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:22 am

Hmmmm....being seen to be cool is soooooo important in racing circles! :P

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun May 20, 2012 5:20 am

There again you could always tuck it up a jersey sleeve girly style, and really look the part. :mrgreen:

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Sun May 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Looking for a place to put your hanky..stick it...up your sleeve.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 am

Ross wrote:People riding no hands isn't terribly clever either IMO.

Or hipsters on fixies with no brakes.
Saw a hipster on a fixie a while back riding across the Anzac Bridge - no hands at all, arms folded - cool as you like. :shock: Going at a decent clip as well. :shock: :lol: Unbelievable!

+1 also on the old cars with smelly exhausts. But my pet hate is the old Hiace with the uniquely Toyota stinky exhaust, or the two-stroke scooter spluttering away with its smokey exhaust. :shock:

I think this goes as another example:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c ... 6&t=h&z=16

No hands, no helmet either! The bike needs the helmet more than the rider. ;) Captured by Google Street view - and a setup if ever there were one.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 pm

foo on patrol wrote: And you are supposed to do what when racing, other than blow it into your hand and wipe it down you your knicks? :?

Foo
I've got pretty good at the bush hanky using thumb and forefinger and catching it in my hand. If there is enough there I can sometimes hear the slap as it hits the road when I flick it down near my pedals.
Other than that wait til you are at the back of the paceline or on your knicks as you say. Nothing worse than a face full of someone elses snot.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 am

You're not telling me anything new here Parrot, as I raced for 12yrs. :wink:

Maybe these days the aim isn't as good as it was back then. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Unhealthy practices seen while riding

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 26, 2012 8:27 am

In a group I just suck it up and spit it out... No way I am going to back of a 80 person "file indienne"... I just do it in my glove if i wear them.
What do you do in tt's?... Not that easy to lift a hand up when in aero mode... I have just been snotting down the front of myself... Everything goes in the wash anyway :-) .

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun May 27, 2012 12:24 pm

It is in the cold where my nose runs and the tt's were held in summer in Mildura. Usually a bit of spit, phlegm and lung matter drooling out the corners of my mouth by the end but haven't had a worry with snot. Awipe with the back of the hand is about the best I can manage.
I wish more people would snot in their hands in bunch rides there is quite often one who seems to insist on spraying it everywhere.

Ugg

Postby Ugg » Wed May 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I was overtaken yesterday by a pest poison spraying ute. Not actively spraying, but I could smell it for the next few hundred meters. Holding breath while riding could be viewed as an unhealthy practice.

Cadel

Postby Cadel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

When riding around Westerfolds Park I noticed quite a few energy gel wrappers on the MTB tracks.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 pm

g-boaf wrote: But my pet hate is the old Hiace with the uniquely Toyota stinky exhaust
And the unique to Hiace "BLERRRRRR!!!" moan everytime they change gear. There's one that lives down the road from my place and i can always hear it coming, "vrrrrrmmm BLERRRRRR vrrrrrmmmm BLERRRRRR!!!!".

I've never been on a bunch ride yet where someone who needed to launch a snot rocket didn't swing WAY off to one side before doing so.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Cadel wrote:When riding around Westerfolds Park I noticed quite a few energy gel wrappers on the MTB tracks.
Grrr! I hope karma gets these mongrels by making their saddle fall off mid air. :x
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skcycle

Postby skcycle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Over the weekend, a father and two kids, all on bikes, all with helmets, waiting to cross a buys side street in Zetland. all good, father spending time with kids, all getting healthy, etc, etc. Problem was, the side street was very busy, including some heavy trucks and they were waiting to cross through the middle of traffic. Nothing too wrong in that, problem was one of the kids was under 10, so, in an emergency no chance they could move fast enough to get out of the way. Too make it worse, they were only 15m from a set of lights.
Look 795 Aerolight
Ridley Helium X
97 Bianchi Veloce
58 Legnano (in progress)

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
IR8naml wrote:I am over the macho cyclist who has to demonstrate the repulsive act of showing the person behind them how much crap they can blow from their nasal cavities, which if you’re lucky, when the wind is right the expulsion violently splatters onto the perusing cyclist face.

Seriously, you people need to learn some manners.
And you are supposed to do what when racing, other than blow it into your hand and wipe it down you your knicks? :?

Foo
How about stopping, taking out a hanky/tissue and having a good blow. Only takes seconds.
I usually find the nasal gunk stops after one clean-out.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm

ILoveMyBike wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:
IR8naml wrote:I am over the macho cyclist who has to demonstrate the repulsive act of showing the person behind them how much crap they can blow from their nasal cavities, which if you’re lucky, when the wind is right the expulsion violently splatters onto the perusing cyclist face.

And you are supposed to do what when racing, other than blow it into your hand and wipe it down you your knicks? :?

Foo
How about stopping, taking out a hanky/tissue and having a good blow. Only takes seconds.
Lucky you. In colder weather, my nose needs flushing every 5 minutes or so, and it's just not practical to stop that often.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:27 pm

I hate garbage trucks on a hot morning :/ or even bin day in summer. ICK
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm

ILoveMyBike wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Good way to make the race harder for yourself :P
Dogs are the best people :wink: