The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 pm

zero wrote:

I also don't see how you can get in a lot of trouble with an offleash dog unless it bites you or its running full tilt after a ball. The presence of a pedestrian on a sharepath generally requires that you moderate your speed, and if there is a dog or a child you should be moderating your speed further. If the dog manages to get tangled in my bike at 10km/hr, I'll stick my foot on the ground.

Really? How about I moderate my speed for the ped and 100 metres past him his dog runs across in front of me? How about the dog that I think is on a leash jumps away from its owner and in front of me? How about the dog chases you.. stuffs up and brings you down... The first two have already happened this week.

Put your foot down at 10 kph and into a hole and you will break it. I know of a fatal accident at less than that speed too.

As a general rule path dog walkers who dont use leashes seem to be less than averagely concerned with other people. Of course some percentage actually have a superbly trained animal under perfect control.
Percrime

by BNA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:32 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Percrime wrote:some percentage actually have a superbly trained animal under perfect control.

And I don't want to risk assuming they are all of this type.
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.

VRE wrote:David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .

That's because it is not part of the road rules. Instead it falls under the jurisdiction of each council, in Victoria this is under s26(2)(b) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 & it varies from council to council eg

Glen Eira City Council - "Dogs must be on a leash within five metres of shared footpaths and bicycle paths"
City of Dandenong "Dogs must not be allowed within 20 metres of a designated cycling path/track, unless separated from the track by a fence at least 1.2 metres in height."
find_bruce

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 am

find_bruce wrote:
Percrime wrote:But legally it does. If you have your dog on a path.. regardless how it got there... it MUST be under control. Good luck winning that one in court if it ran under someones wheel because it was not on a leash.

VRE wrote:David, I've searched the road safety rules thoroughly previously, and could never find anything about that, although that was my impression too: that dogs must be controlled up to a certain distance from any shared path. I wish I could find that rule, so I can quote it to some of the pedestrians along the KCT :roll: .

That's because it is not part of the road rules. Instead it falls under the jurisdiction of each council, in Victoria this is under s26(2)(b) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 & it varies from council to council eg

Glen Eira City Council - "Dogs must be on a leash within five metres of shared footpaths and bicycle paths"
City of Dandenong "Dogs must not be allowed within 20 metres of a designated cycling path/track, unless separated from the track by a fence at least 1.2 metres in height."

Thanks :) . I've emailed one of the local councils along my afternoon commuting route, for clarification regarding their dog control policy.
VRE

Postby tubby74 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

this used to be a regular issue along the cooks river path, the off leash areas were all along there, and owners honestly thought they were under no obligation to control their dogs anymore. Councils did something good though, created large fenced play areas for the dogs. Not just a patch of grassm but tunnels, obstacles, a proper playground. safer cyclists, happier dogs.
tubby74

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Pedestrian with a vicious dog on a leash, but the thing was still savagely aggressive and really went ballistic when I went past. It looked like it took all of the pedestrian's effort to keep it restrained. :shock: That scares me when it's in an area where there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

Fenced in dog-parks are a great idea. The one beside the RWY16R approach path at Sydney airport (near the golf driving range) is a good idea.
g-boaf

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Don't feel the need to justify to randoms online.
Last edited by SmellyTofu on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
SmellyTofu

Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby zero » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Not sure if it's a stupid cyclist crossing this road and not giving way or the stupid car in front stopping unnecessarily (instant fail in a driving exam) in a blind corner of all places.

http://youtu.be/CInigBFc-pE?hd=1

Mod edit: Video NSFW.

its a marked pedestrian refuge in a 50 zone (see 50 sign earlier on in video), with pram ramps. Suggest the driver does the speed limit instead of 15 over, as is appropriate to the vision available and chills out as not a lot of time was lost.

Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.
zero

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm

zero wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:Not sure if it's a stupid cyclist crossing this road and not giving way or the stupid car in front stopping unnecessarily (instant fail in a driving exam) in a blind corner of all places.

http://youtu.be/CInigBFc-pE?hd=1

Mod edit: Video NSFW.

its a marked pedestrian refuge in a 50 zone (see 50 sign earlier on in video), with pram ramps. Suggest the driver does the speed limit instead of 15 over, as is appropriate to the vision available and chills out as not a lot of time was lost.

Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.

THat vid is marked for private viewing ony. If it's your's you'll need to change that.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:THat vid is marked for private viewing ony. If it's your's you'll need to change that.

It was public, but SmellyTofu didn't like Zero's comments so has edited his comment & set the vid to private
find_bruce

Postby Biffidus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:It was public, but SmellyTofu didn't like Zero's comments so has edited his comment & set the vid to private

Aww that's no fun... I'm in video withdrawal since the moron motorists thread was locked!

I should get a video camera and make a weekly compilation of the close passes I get from cars who have to beat me to the next intersection, roundabout or bottleneck.
Biffidus

Postby twizzle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 am

zero wrote:Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.

Depends - there are other road laws that can be breached by randomly stopping in the road. The best practice is to just obey the road rules and act in a predictable fashion, wether driving a car or on a bike.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 am

twizzle wrote:
zero wrote:Voluntarily giving way is also NOT illegal. The cyclist did not push their luck, the driver chose to let them through, and that is perfectly normal, and is something that I both do and receive on occasion myself.

Depends - there are other road laws that can be breached by randomly stopping in the road. The best practice is to just obey the road rules and act in a predictable fashion, wether driving a car or on a bike.

There was no random stopping in the road. Stopping to give way to somebody, stopping because you worry that a collision may occur, stopping to let somebody in to a stream of traffic. These are all sensible things that are in not way illegal.
human909

Postby Sydguy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am

Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

Skilled circus family or plain stupidity...

JM
Sydguy

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Dangerous indeed! Dumb pedestrian was the kid who ran straight into me - not looking where he was going. I'd stopped already in preparation for that.

The other dumb pedestrian was of the dark coloured, slithering type that went across the path in front of me and another cyclist. :shock: Snakes are not nice. :shock:
g-boaf

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Driving home last night (roughly 8pm) I noted the cars ahead acting strange. I slow down and then I see her. A dark skinned young lass (20ish) wearing dark clothes walking against the traffic in the middle of the lane, intentionally trying to block oncoming traffic. She flips me and my missus two birds as I swerve to avoid her and think about calling the Police but think I can't be bothered (I have developed a DGAF attitude which I'm quite ashamed of :( )

I caught it all on my Contour however the quality is very poor. The Contour isn't cutting it as a dashcam. Although it only a dashcam when I drive which isn't that often
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby csy75 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

i called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate, i cycle here 3 times a week and dont do this.

csy75

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 am

csy75 wrote:this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

i called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate, i cycle here 3 times a week and dont do this.

I don't see anything dumb about the actions cyclist. I do see law breaking but I don't see dumbness. :wink:
human909

Postby Kenzo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

csy75 wrote:this was unnecessary by this guy...I had lots of room on my left for him to sit at the front too.

I think he was planning on riding through the red light.... but the traffic was too heavy.
Kenzo

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

Kenzo wrote:

I think he was planning on riding through the red light.... but the traffic was too heavy.

if he was going to ride right through - dumb. i'd still prefer to wait near/just in front of the line...
jasonc

Postby Howzat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

csy75 wrote:I called him on it and said basically, "it's ok to do this, because i'm a cyclist"....not really mate...

Yes, riding like this is basically the opposite of cycling advocacy.

Gain 10 metres and 10 more motorists thinking bikes should have number plates.
Howzat

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

This should be interesting. Found a new sweet jump courtsey of the Brisbane City Council or Telstra. They installed this bad boy when they poped on over on Thursday to resurface the footpath after recent works and left the unused cement to dry in the middle of the footpath. I just wish they would remove the fencing so I could take some sweet jumps on it with my bike :lol: :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:
greyhoundtom

Postby maestro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:

The pits would have been there before the footpath. (If you were putting in cables, would you install them under existing concrete, or under the grass to the side?)
maestro

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

maestro wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:I can’t believe that Telstra is allowed to have those pits in the footpath instead of in the verge. :shock:

The pits would have been there before the footpath. (If you were putting in cables, would you install them under existing concrete, or under the grass to the side?)

I don't know how long the pits have been there as I can't recall but I'm sure they were installed about 15 years ago on purpose into the footpath when the whole footpath was replaced/installing fibreoptic cables. Back then there were large trees outside every property between the current footpath and road (similar to the ones futher down the road in the photo) but some have since been removed due to burst water mains, damage to houses, cracks in the road, jumps forming on the footpath, council buses hitting branches etc. Last week they dug up all the footpaths surrounding them and resurfaced them again (as you can tell by the footpath changing colour 3 times) as some had turned into jumps, cracks formed, others constantly had the cement grinding machines going over them etc. The pic was a quick joke at the two bucket sized chunk of what was wet cement that had been left there since Thursday which has now dried and is still just sitting there behind a orange fence that was pretty much blowing in todays wind :P
Lukeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion