Shogun Appreciation Society

BRLVR.v2

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 pm

munga wrote:yeah, dave's got a pair. like coconuts.
Pfffft... that's what she said............NOT.

vaeske wrote:awesome work dave! nice mavic rim too. got the pair?
Nah only the rear unfortunately, and it needs a good trueing.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm

it scares me sometimes you know the size of peoples cajones...

munga

Postby munga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:40 pm

walks like a texan farmer

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 pm

vaeske wrote:
it scares me sometimes you know the size of peoples cajones...
Experienced teabaggers always know that kinda stuff. :wink:

munga

Postby munga » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:09 am

as father christmas always says: it's better to give, than to receive.

deudonne

Postby deudonne » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 am

A Trail Breaker, already had peeled stickers when I bought the frame.. to replace my gorgeous old Prairie Breaker that was stolen years ago.

floody

Postby floody » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 pm

This is my '93 (I think?) Prairie Breaker Pro.
I've owned it as a backup bike since 1996ish, has been through a few builds, currently stripped again. Back in '96 it had Mavic 121s on XT hubs, XT 737 drivetrain with Tioga Revolver cranks, Tioga finishing kit and Tioga/Showa air-oil fork.

This pic is from about '07 when I built the frame up with leftovers from a warranty job mid 90s rockhopper which had been sitting around for a decade.

Pic doesn't really show the awesome blue/silver fade job it has, top of all the tubes are silver with electric blue sprayed on the sides. Unsure what to do for a resto as the paint is trashed and its really not going to be easy to replicate.

I also owned a circa '94 Shogun XTR with M900, was a very nice alloy frame with backfilled welds and rivetted guides, stripped and polished it, I broke that one in half racing dual slalom.
I had an alloy '95 Prairie Breaker Team and that was unfortunately stolen, the old steel one above filled the void initially as my commute/XC rig when it was pinched.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 pm

I have a 1993 Shogun Metro SE that i purchased new for a ride from Brissie to Rocky back then.
It is a gorgeous solid ride.
Took it to California with me and brought it home again.
A few repairs done over the years, but still going strong. Still has the original Cateye Micro computer on it. 15kg all up with panea rack and all accessories.
Started riding it seriously again a year ago and have put another 3,500k on it since then.
Pics to come in time.

jools

Postby jools » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Katana advice please!

Hi! I'm a bit of a clueless noob when it comes to bikes but I have this strange compulsion to buy old bikes and try and restore them. I picked up an apollo iv a while ago with a crappy paint job but all the shimano 600 arabesque gear - one day I'll get to restoring it, for the moment I'm just riding it as is.

In the meantime I picked up a shogun katana for $45 at a local garage sale. I think it is one of the later models as it was made in taiwan and the frame is not lugged. In terms of the pecking order, where would this bike sit in relation to the apollo iv? I realise there is a bit of an age difference between them, but the Apollo feels like a nicer bike to ride and the components seem to be of a higher standard. I haven't weighed them either but the apollo feels noticably lighter.

The Katana needs a bit of work and I was hoping for some guidance here. The first problem is with the shifters - it has the Shimano RSX brifters and the front one feels like it is seized and the rear one doesn't grab when trying to shift up - you can move the brake lever inwards but nothing happens. If you flick it quickly a few times then it will sometimes grab and change up a gear. Shifting down seems ok. On the front shifter the small lever moves ok but when you try and push the brake lever inwards there is a lot of resistance and it doesn't move.

Are these servicable items or am I better off finding replacement brifters? If replacing, should I stick with the Shimano RSX or replace with something else?

The other problem I have is that the pedal on the right side has stripped the thread inside the crank, so I need to replace the cranks. There are no markings on the outside but on the inside of the crank arms there is a stamp that looks like Tracer 170mm. Should I try and replace it with the same thing or go with a different model?

I haven't decided as yet what to do with the bike - I'm out of work at the moment but depending on where I find work I may use it as a commuter. I like the bike and will probably hang on to it but I realise it is probably nothing too special so if I'm going to spend some money on it I don't want to go too crazy.

Thanks!

munga

Postby munga » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm

flush those brifters with wd40. you can take the fronts off and dismantle them to a degree, but be sure you know how to reassemble them! :D
i would replace those cranks with whatever comes to hand, as long as they're relatively similar.
user diggerdantheman was telling me this morning that he bought some shimano cranks online for about $20 - just can't remember where from..

jools

Postby jools » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks Munga!

Dismantle I can do - haven't quite mastered the reassemble! Do I need to remove them from the bike or can this be done while they are still fitted?

Would a mid-90's Shimano 600 crankset be suitable?

munga

Postby munga » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:53 pm

much easier to work on them when they're removed from the bars - you can unscrew them from the mounting clamps with an allen key iirc, so you dont have to take tape off your bars etc.

mid 90's 600 sounds fine. as long as they're both square taper i don't think there's any problem, unless you're looking at them both and one looks waaaaay different.

jools

Postby jools » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks heaps Munga - I'll have a go at the brifters tomorrow. The 600 gear is on ebay so will be a bit difficult to compare - I'll have to ask the seller.

Cheers!

lenticul

Postby lenticul » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Image Here is my Shogun Samurai,purchased second hand in 1987. It was my only/main road bike for many years, ending up as a blue rusty old thing, converted to flat bars when I started carrying kids in a baby seat. A year or so ago, I gave it the powder coating treatment- metallic green, and shouted it new wheels, tyres, cables. It turned into a fun fast flat bar roadie, that I currently ride about 30-50 km per week. I have a "serious" road bike for the longer faster rides, but the Shogun is so much fun, and the metallic green powder coat turns a lot of heads. It has the Shimano RX100 group set and Biopace chainring.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:32 am

Well I have joined the ranks of Shogun owners, well sort of, I picked this up yesterday for my youngest son. It will get a clean up, different saddle, new tyre, 8 speed Sora group and some bar tape. Got it off a guy on the Qld Sunny Coast for $100 so I'm quite happy with the deal.
Wazza

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Ha, Wazza I'm loving that old tooter you have on the Shogun. Eagerly waiting to see the final product.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm

brett.hooker wrote:I have a 1993 Shogun Metro SE that i purchased new for a ride from Brissie to Rocky back then.
Is that what you rode on Saturday Brett?

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Dan - yes! 100km on pure 15kg bliss... :-)

Go the old shogun...

Definitely would like to invoke n+1 and get some lightweight kit for these longer rides... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Brett, shameless repost.... the bike is almost visible behind the advertising :)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 pm

That is her!!! Old faithful...
I have done 3800 km on that bike in the last twelve months!!!
Mt mee, mt nebo and the Redlands classic in just the last few weeks...
You'd think I could drop a few more kg's... ;-) something about my eating plan needs revising... Grin...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Fuzzboxvoodoo

Postby Fuzzboxvoodoo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 am

Hey All new here to BNA so glad to finally find some info about the Shogun bikes,I bought one back in high school and kept it all these years but am just now getting back into riding again.
The picture posted is one that I bought on Ebay but have since sold and swapped some parts to s different Shogun frame with a better geometry for me,I only have pictures of the one I sold right now but will post some of my most current.
Both were early Shimano 600 Arabesque equipped models (my favorites).
EDIT:Okay not sure how to post pictures directly to thread?I click image and it's not the format im used to.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Fuzzboxvoodoo wrote:EDIT:Okay not sure how to post pictures directly to thread?I click image and it's not the format im used to.
You'll need your mandatory 10 posts before being able to post images. In the meantime, read the sticky entitled 'How to Post Images' on the main navigation page :) - you just need a different code format.
D

Fuzzboxvoodoo

Postby Fuzzboxvoodoo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks for the info.
Steve
diggerdantheman wrote:
Fuzzboxvoodoo wrote:EDIT:Okay not sure how to post pictures directly to thread?I click image and it's not the format im used to.
You'll need your mandatory 10 posts before being able to post images. In the meantime, read the sticky entitled 'How to Post Images' on the main navigation page :) - you just need a different code format.
D

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:18 am

ah, so sad,
i woke up late and found some guy had a ninja on sale on gumtree $50 negotiatable advertised for a good 3 hours.
He called me and said he had his bike in storage for years and never touched them:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingsgro ... 1007379220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what a bargain :shock:

all gone within the first hour....

sunho

Postby sunho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Here is my bike I picked up from a friend for $70 :)

Will upgrade the brakes, tyres, bar tape and put some mud guards on them for some nice commuting.

don't know the exact year but seems relatively 90s as the frame doesnt have a nice "shogun" tag like the jap made frames :(

CrMo blades - Templite Ultra(?)

running a perfect set of exage 300, Deep V wheels.