New Bike

New Bike

Postby inline_online » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

Hi All,

After 13-14 or so years of not owning a bike I went out and got myself a second-hand MTB on Saturday.

It is too dangerous to skate to work when the roads are wet. This is because I am pushing my wheels out to the side to propel myself forwards and they slip and slide a lot more in the wet. It also means I have to spend a lot of time cleaning my bearings and I am too lazy to do that after each wet-weather skate. So, along comes the bike for those rainy day commutes into the city.

I got a Giant Rincon (which incidentally is the last bike I owned - I used to thrash that thing and even entered in a couple of MTB races) for $200. It rides well although I don't :)
The seat (saddle??) is one of those really thin lightweight racing types and it hurts like crazy. I rode the 6km in to work this morning (the quick route) and it was about all I could manage. It's a bit different to my inline skating where I can rip out up to 120km before collapsing. I may have to get a different seat as I can't see it getting any more comfortable. Maybe cycling shorts with the padding in the butt. I used to have a pair of those and they were very comfortable (although I might not get the fluoro yellow ones that I used to have :lol: )

I test rode a racing bike before deciding on the Giant. I had never ridden a racing bike before and this one was pretty old I think. The gear selectors were halfway down the sloping tube (not sure what it is called) and it was probably produced before carbon fibre was even invented. Anyway, Cadel Evans I am NOT. I kept feeling like I was about to fall over. It may be a while before i'm ready for the TdF.

My kids are stoked that I have a bike now. They want me to ride over their skateboard ramps in the back yard and do some jumps. They reckon that if they can do it then so can I!! Not so sure about that.

Cheers,
Dan
Fila Primo 90's
Fila M100's
Cannondale CAAD8
inline_online

by BNA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

BNA

Re: New Bike

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

inline_online wrote: It's a bit different to my inline skating where I can rip out up to 120km before collapsing.

Maximum respect :shock: Congratulations on your purchase!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby cray- » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 am

You'll get used to the seat, you're just putting pressure on areas that aren't used to it but they will adapt and you'll be fine. I get pretty lazy over winter and have the same problem for the first couple of rides come spring time. Common problem, but stick with it. The shorts will help if you start going further than 6km. Good luck with the riding.
cray-

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:45 pm

I used to share Cray's view on seats, get used to it. But I've since learnt there are better seats, bike shorts, and ultra comfy seats that mean you never have to be sore, and can still pedal like Cadel. This is just one example that came with a bike that I use, and another bike had some large comfy one no brand from an LBS.
http://cloud9seats.com/

6km isn't a long saddle time, but if you're using it infrequently and "forgetting" the pain points and being reacquainted with them every fortnight, it's an option if you start to pimp your 2nd commuter.
eldavo

Return to Western Australia