Cycling Related in Paris?

Brenchen

Cycling Related in Paris?

Postby Brenchen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm heading to Paris on Thursday for a few days, just wondering are anything cycling related that is worth seeing there? Shops? Museums? Displays? Anywhere with souvenirs I might be able to get? Or anything cycling in general is OK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

Howzat

Re: Cycling Related in Paris?

Postby Howzat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 pm

You can do a guided bike tour of Paris. Or rent a velib bike if your credit card has a chip in it. But be aware that riding on your own is for the brave and/or foolhardy because of the nutcase traffic, and if you're used to riding on the left and are mildly jetlagged from the flight, you might turn into the wrong side of the street and find yourself recreating a scene from a Jason Bourne movie.

The Champs-Elysées is good to visit though, you see that a bit in the Tour de France. Bon voyage!

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for the tips mate.

In my case, I am already in France and been here for a while, been riding on boring street with nothing apart from corn fields and strong odor of manure. This time I am going to Paris (few hours by TGV) is because I want to catch up with my cousin and her husband who is coming from home (they will have jetlag with me laughing at them :lol: ), so they have a reasonably good plan worked out.

They will depart to their next destination two days before me, so I have some time with some of my good friends there to go around places where I want to go during the weekend, this is why I ask whether there are anything about vélo I should visit?
Brendan

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Just grab a rental bike and go cruising... put in your credit card and take a 3 day pass.They take a deposit to make sure your bring it back... but it works out to about 2 or 3 euros a day... and you just grab them at one station and dump them at the next. Don't agree that riding in Paris is dangerous... lots of traffic but they are used to bikes... though if you ride around the arch de triomphe ride around the middle, not the outside :wink: .

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:15 pm

+1 I wouldn't let the traffic put you off cycling in Paris. The Mrs and I survived a week of riding about the place (though some might say she's brave and I'm foolhardy ;) ); the traffic is hectic but drivers are almost ridiculously respectful of cyclists. But since you've been there for a while, you probably know this already :)

Enjoy a Kronenberg on the train for me, the brewed-under-license stuff here is the palest of immitations :(
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Kronenberg, lol, a soirée must, always at least 2 cartons to start with in any soirée!

If I miss out riding this time, when I go back next time it would be dedicated cycling tour!
Brendan

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Cycles Laurent | 9, boulevard Voltaire | 75011 Paris | +33 (1) 47.00.27.473 ...

fantastic bike shop with best collection of jerseys - there are reports that the staff are extremely rude BUT i went in with the idea that I could make them be nice to me and it worked -got a couple of great jerseys - I especially love there own one - wear it all the time worth the trip

have a great time

fiona

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks, saw your post a bit late, but will make sure I'll pay them a visit next time I'm there.

Cheers
Brendan