Wombat Trail, Woodend

mattwilkinson

Wombat Trail, Woodend

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey guys, Me and my sister are interested in riding the wombat trail, I've done some research but the place looks pretty confusing. We would be getting there by train so would have to ride from the station.
Firstly, would we be better off getting off at Woodend or Macedon and is it complicated getting to the track?

Also what are the conditions like.? Is it challenging to ride?

Any input appreciated.
Are there any other easier tracks to ride near/around the bendigo region to get used to first?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Wombat Trail, Woodend

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 pm

It'd be a bugger to ride to. The Black forest road from either Woodend or Macedon is not fun on two wheels unless there's an engine involved.
Nice trails tho', lots of singletrack with a good mix of technical stuff and quite a few B lines if you feel the need.

The Piney at Castlemaine is great fun but you will need your climbing legs and grippy rubber.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:It'd be a bugger to ride to. The Black forest road from either Woodend or Macedon is not fun on two wheels unless there's an engine involved.
Nice trails tho', lots of singletrack with a good mix of technical stuff and quite a few B lines if you feel the need.

The Piney at Castlemaine is great fun but you will need your climbing legs and grippy rubber.

Are there many directions at the track? Seems pretty complicated. Can you kinda hop on anywhere or what would be the closest entrance from the station. Also, is it quicker or easier from Woodend or macedon?

igstar

Postby igstar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi hi,

Getting to Wombat Trail isn't too bad from Macedon (or Woodend), about 5km and the Old Calder Hwy has big shoulders. The tracks have signs along the way, so you shouldn't get lost. Have fun!

http://woodendcycles.com.au/wombattrack.htm

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 pm

igstar wrote:Hi hi,

Getting to Wombat Trail isn't too bad from Macedon (or Woodend), about 5km and the Old Calder Hwy has big shoulders. The tracks have signs along the way, so you shouldn't get lost. Have fun!

http://woodendcycles.com.au/wombattrack.htm
thanks, do you know which station I should get off at?

igstar

Postby igstar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Macedon is a bit closer than Woodend by a couple of kilometers, however fewer trains stop at Macedon.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 am

I'll get off at Macedon but when home comes i'll go up to Woodend,

thanks!