~=Queensland Retro Rides=~

munga

~=Queensland Retro Rides=~

Postby munga » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 am

new thread - as we're branching out from the usual riverloop, i thought we should re-advertise, as it were.

if you want to organise a retro ride in the south-west area (Ipswich, Bris, GC, SC, Redlands etc), post your your route and your departure time in this thread, and anyone else can express their interest.
Last edited by munga on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

munga

Re: Rivercity Retro Raturday Rides

Postby munga » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 am

this saturday:

departing - melbourne hotel, browning st, west end. 6:00am
riverloop, then (optional) mt coot-tha, with brekky afterwards

notes:

getting warm out - bring sunscreen & water.
Last edited by munga on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:12 am

It doesnt matter which thread you want to talk in, I still ain't going up Cootha on Raturday. :evil: :evil:
Waz
Wazza

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm

no worries wazza, just thought seeing as we're branching out from the riverloop, we may as well have a thread going in that direction too.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm

all is good wazza, we're still doing the regular riverloop saturday so you'll still get your hit! we'll just be doing cootha afterwards instead of grabbing coffee.

to get ready to gatecrash btgc some of us need to get fit and get some miles under us. We're not all triathletes like your bad self! :D

Dan

Re: ~=South-West Retro Rides=~

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 am

SW sounds so exotic :)

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 am

like a sunriiiiise

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 am

Would it be possible for someone to post the route for Coot-tha? I can upload a Riverloop gpx or kml if you like, but I don't have one for Mt Coot-tha, having never done it.

Here's the google maps link for Riverloop and Mt Coot-tha for anyone interested.
Last edited by Dan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 pm

you look cleverer than i, so go back over the go-between bridge, follow coro drive to sylvan road (where the regatta pub is).
follow sylvan rd to the coot-tha roundabout, then up and around coot-tha, clockwise. come back the same way. or follow someone else (if we meet the foa/gear guys for example)

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 pm

I'll do that. Funny, I always thought it was anti clockwise. Must be ridiculously steep out the back there - last time I went up it was sideways in a HZ Premier, so can't really recall the grade...

munga

Postby munga » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 pm

last time i did it, we went anti-clockwise.
i think it's steeper than you remember no matter which direction you go.

morini

Postby morini » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Very jealous reading these posts. I haven't ridden in Brisbane for nearlly ten years.

From my memory it's steeper going clockwise, mainly due to the last pitch up to the kiosk. Never had enough gears left up that way.

You could also link in the old river road that runs down from the Indooroopilly bridge to head over to the Centenary bike path if you wanted to get on or off the river loop. That was my old option B if I didn't feel like going via Qld Uni. A bit tricky at the Indooroopilly end but not impossible.

Lucky buggers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Pffft coot-tha is nothing, i went up a climb last weekend that topped out at 42%!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Pffft coot-tha is nothing, i went up a climb last weekend that topped out at 42%!
our standard riverloop has exactly 1 climb Loch - this looks like everest to me :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm getting more and more excited about my trip down there in a few weeks, flat roads for once! :)

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 pm

and one hill for you to smash us on :)
perhaps I'll take polly the single speed out so I'm forced to keep with you...
oh, check your PM too :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Yep, just uploading a pic to photobucket :) .

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm

some guys are looking for a 30+km ride, preferably flat, this saturday morning. any suggestions?

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Saturday 6 October - Mitchelton to Nudgee Beach return

6:00am start from Blackwood Street, Mitchelton. Meet outside the Delicatezza (43 Blackwood). Heading out to Nudgee Beach via Kedron Brook/MBC Bikeway, then return to Blackwood Street for espresso or, if you prefer, cafe au lait/cafe latte/flat white. As flat as the course for the day o_O.

Parking available at Mitchelon train station (video surveillance I'm told). Be there or be somewhere else (like at work, or in bed, or wherever).

Google Maps link

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Saturday 20 October - riverloop. Starting 6am at Melbourne hotel, browning st, west end. Perhaps a reverse loop is in order? In any case, bonus points for stripey socks and spokey dokes.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:20 am

munga wrote:like a sunriiiiise
eyes in de road, Rhonda....!

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Dan has informed that my post in the Retro Raturday thread was something akin to fake Armani, that is, awesome. Or a cheap thrill. Or something you buy in a seedy back alley market. I'm not really sure. But here it is. Instead of riding the usual riverloop, I propose the 'Brisbane River Gran Fondo'. We all know gran fondos are the natural habitat of both retro bikes AND retro-grouches. So do your beautiful iron steed a favour and put some solid kilometres on her.

Described as an EPIC. Some say it may be the greatest Brisbane ride ever. It is the ULTIMATE river loop. Incorporating no less than 30 suburbs, I give you the Brisbane River Gran Fondo!

West End-Coro Dr-UQ-Indooroopilly-Kenmore-Fig Tree Pocket-over the Centenary Bridge-17 Mile Rocks-up Canossa hill-Corinda-along Honour Ave-river loop through Yeronga and up Highgate Hill-West End-Southbank (potential coffee quickstop)-out to the Story Bridge-Shaftson Ave-Wynnum Rd-Hawthorne Rd-along the river in Bulimba-over the Gateway-through Clayfield (potential coffee stop at Dandelion & Driftwood)-Toombul-Kedron Brook Bikeway back to Lutwyche-pass the RBWH-through the city-over the Kurilpa-Southbank-West End. Spew, then coffee and food.

Who's keen?!

Route would look something like this. West End back to West End via 17 Mile Rocks:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=1 ... =bike&z=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Followed by West End back to West End via the Gateway Bridge and Clayfield:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=1 ... =bike&z=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Net ride would be a shade under 100km. The advantage of coming back to West End mid-ride is that it gives people a chance to finish the ride early if they're not up for the full challenge.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 am

2013 Le Tour de Retro

Ok, retro riders (oh & others), the 1st Annual (if we make it beyond the 1st) Le Tour de Retro, will occur on the 1st of January (oi, I'll still be partying from NYE, I hear ya say, well harden up princess!) 2013.

Time penalties shall be awarded to those riding non-steel framed bikes, using modern shifter/brake combinations, composite wheels, etc. but cheating is encouraged.

Prize money will be 1 million Greek Euro (which at current exchange rates is equivalent to the price of a large flat white) or 1 million US (if Obama can't do something quickly that will be equivalent to a cup of warm tap water from a council park bubbler), for the first rider across the finish line (with corrected time penalties).

Start time shall be 6am at Browning Street West End, since this is neither a UCI nor USADA sanctioned event, drug testing will be mandatory (if ya ain't on some kind of drugs then what kind of 'cyclist' are ya???, "Get off my train/peleton/team").

Hopefully Dr Michelle Ferrari will be at the start giving demonstrations, offering training tips, etc. , there will also be intravenous drip kits available & classes on blood transfusion & safe storing methods.

Come one, come all, this is a great way to introduce yourself to the world of pro racing, with experts from some 90's pro teams along to instruct you on how to race 'properly' (think omerta, etc).

Also gives you a chance to annoy the local constabulary (they hate seeing sober cyclists out when they're RBT'ing), they cannot understand the concept of what possess anyone to be out riding at that time of the morning on New Years Day.

Oh, by the way, a little disclaimer-------

There really isn't a fair dinkum race happening, all prize monies are restricted to a cup of coffee (if we can find a cafe open afterwards), members of 90's pro tour teams may not be in attendance, nor Dr Michelle Farrari. This whole 'event' may just be a social ride, the organisers take no responsibility for any accidents or injuries that anyone may encounter during this ride. Riding a pushbike is dangerous & you accept any outcomes of doing so.

See you there at 6am, I'll be there even if nobody else is.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm in and when we are finished its off to the tennis

Waz
Wazza

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Wazza wrote:I'm in and when we are finished its off to the tennis

Waz

I suck at tennis, can't we do something else, hmmm, I'm pretty good at bird watching, why not a trip to South Bank beach, na forget it, guess it's tennis then.