New member soon to be new rider, bike suggestions/tips!?

meetch

New member soon to be new rider, bike suggestions/tips!?

Postby meetch » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey everyone like the topic says new member and soon to be new rider here. I have never done any road or track racing so I dont know much. Though I have been in to a few bike shops and have found I need a size 58 bike.
Being my first bike I dont want to fork out too much but I do want a bike that is going to do the job. Each place Ive been too has had different opinions (i think a lot to do with sales) so Im here for advice :)
Any advice on what to buy, where to buy, how much to spend and even what you can get for different amounts would be much appreciated!
Or even in a perfect world if anyone knows anyone in Sydney/Gosford area wanting to sell a second 58cm track bike.
Thanks in advance!

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: New member soon to be new rider, bike suggestions/tips!?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Where in Sydney are you and what club are you in? If you're in the right club, you can borrow a track bike and give it a go. That way you'll get an idea of what you need. I rode on a couple of borrowed bikes for a few months before buying a model the same as the last borrowed one I rode.

You can always go the VIsp route for the frame and then add some miche components or something similar. That seems to be a good, cheap and useful pathway to follow.

meetch

Postby meetch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Where in Sydney are you and what club are you in? If you're in the right club, you can borrow a track bike and give it a go. That way you'll get an idea of what you need. I rode on a couple of borrowed bikes for a few months before buying a model the same as the last borrowed one I rode.

You can always go the VIsp route for the frame and then add some miche components or something similar. That seems to be a good, cheap and useful pathway to follow.
Im in Pennant Hills, not too far from you. Which club would be the best to get the chance to borrow a bike and try? And do they currently do this or more during the track season which im lead to believe is around october?
thanks

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:48 pm

The big track action at the moment is at Dunc Gray Velodrome on Friday nights. It's getting to the end of that series, though. Better to come out to Lidcombe in October for a race. Oh, and join LACC (Lidcombe Auburn Cycling Club) in October as well, since that membership will go for the rest of the year and next year as well.

You can always try Bankstown club, who race at Dunc Gray or Dulwich Hill, who race out at Tempe. LACC is, of course, the best club.

If you're really desperate, you can join Penrith, who have quite a few trackies in the club, but no velodrome of their own (though they do have a great crit circuit).

If you're over 30, the Waratahs are a great club as well. (See the front page of BNA for an article I wrote on them).

Come out to Dunc Gray next Friday night and see all the action, including the Fat Man's Wheel race - the biggest race of the track cycling year.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:55 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Come out to Dunc Gray next Friday night and see all the action, including the Fat Man's Wheel race - the biggest race of the track cycling year.
:shock: :lol: I resemble this. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:02 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Come out to Dunc Gray next Friday night and see all the action, including the Fat Man's Wheel race - the biggest race of the track cycling year.
:shock: :lol: I resemble this. :oops:

Foo
It's a great race. The handicap is based on your BMI and you need one in the high 20s at least to make it into the "top" ten. I think there's some youtube videos of previous ones if you're willing to search for them. The winner gets a trophy and his weight worth of dollars (e.g. 120kg = $120).

meetch

Postby meetch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:13 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:The big track action at the moment is at Dunc Gray Velodrome on Friday nights. It's getting to the end of that series, though. Better to come out to Lidcombe in October for a race. Oh, and join LACC (Lidcombe Auburn Cycling Club) in October as well, since that membership will go for the rest of the year and next year as well.

You can always try Bankstown club, who race at Dunc Gray or Dulwich Hill, who race out at Tempe. LACC is, of course, the best club.

If you're really desperate, you can join Penrith, who have quite a few trackies in the club, but no velodrome of their own (though they do have a great crit circuit).

If you're over 30, the Waratahs are a great club as well. (See the front page of BNA for an article I wrote on them).

Come out to Dunc Gray next Friday night and see all the action, including the Fat Man's Wheel race - the biggest race of the track cycling year.

Not over 30 but the fat mans race sounds like its worth the trip alone haha
Around what time friday dies it all kick off, I'd live to come have a glimpse.
Also I've been speaking to my Auntie, a very keen road rider, who has advised me to get a road bike before a track bike as I'll need both to take the sport seriously anyway, what are your views on that?
Lastly does the LACC (I'm guessing your club) have any bikes members can borrow to have a go or a night nonmembers can come along.
Thanks again :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:49 pm

meetch wrote:Not over 30 but the fat mans race sounds like its worth the trip alone haha
Also I've been speaking to my Auntie, a very keen road rider, who has advised me to get a road bike before a track bike as I'll need both to take the sport seriously anyway, what are your views on that?
Lastly does the LACC (I'm guessing your club) have any bikes members can borrow to have a go or a night nonmembers can come along.
I agree that buying a road bike is better than a track bike to start off with. You'll do many more k's on a road bike than a track bike (unless you're a hipster). Your track cycling will require lots of road miles to build up your fitness and your road cycling will benefit from your track racing, since you'll develop better handling skills, close racing skills and nerves of steel. On that last point, one of our guys had four of his front spokes ripped out by someone's back axle and managed to stay upright and drop safely off the track.

Yes, LACC do have loaner bikes and at some point before the start of the summer season we'll probably have a try the track night. Otherwise, just show up to training during summer and give it a go (or even just show up to racing on a Friday night). I did that last year and it was my first time on a track bike and with clip-in pedals. I wrote an article about it, cause that's what I do.

Racing on Friday nights at Dunc Gray starts at ~7pm. Come down to the middle of the 'drome to get the atmosphere. LACC are the black and gold kit. Several BNAers are regulars there (I know of at least 6).

meetch

Postby meetch » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:11 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
meetch wrote:Not over 30 but the fat mans race sounds like its worth the trip alone haha
I agree that buying a road bike is better than a track bike to start off with. You'll do many more k's on a road bike than a track bike (unless you're a hipster). Your track cycling will require lots of road miles to build up your fitness and your road cycling will benefit from your track racing, since you'll develop better handling skills, close racing skills and nerves of steel. On that last point, one of our guys had four of his front spokes ripped out by someone's back axle and managed to stay upright and drop safely off the track.

Yes, LACC do have loaner bikes and at some point before the start of the summer season we'll probably have a try the track night. Otherwise, just show up to training during summer and give it a go (or even just show up to racing on a Friday night). I did that last year and it was my first time on a track bike and with clip-in pedals. I wrote an article about it, cause that's what I do.

Racing on Friday nights at Dunc Gray starts at ~7pm. Come down to the middle of the 'drome to get the atmosphere. LACC are the black and gold kit. Several BNAers are regulars there (I know of at least 6).

I like the article, makes me more keen! Now I have to get my head around road bikes, its almost a different language haha, any suggestions on what is decent new and cheap, or something second hand?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 pm

There's a million or so thread on here about buying road bikes, so I won't repeat them. Use the search function. To summarise though:

1. Buy a bike that fits you
2. Ride the bike
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you die

meetch

Postby meetch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:20 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:There's a million or so thread on here about buying road bikes, so I won't repeat them. Use the search function. To summarise though:

1. Buy a bike that fits you
2. Ride the bike
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you die
Thanks, yeah I noticed after posting this how much info is on the forum, theres some good deals around, I've visited a couple of LBS and found one I like with some discounted intro bikes, if only I had the money I'd have grabbed something there and then.. but now I need to start saving.. so it begins haha

meetch

Postby meetch » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey Bigfriendlyvegan, just wondering whether you happen to know whether lidcombe velodrome is open during the day, or is it all locked up until the LACC get there in the evenings?
I got myself a new bike and have been riding it at the central coast velodrome but wanted something a bit closer to home to ride at until I can get my license in october. Thanks heaps :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:40 am

We'll be opening the velodrome for training on Wednesday (probably) nights and we start racing again on the 12th of October. Wait a few more days and get a Cycling Australia license - if you get them in October they last for the rest of this year and next year.

I don't think you can access the velodrome during the day, but I'm not sure. I'll ask the next time I'm talking to the council people.

floody

Postby floody » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:19 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
It's a great race. The handicap is based on your BMI and you need one in the high 20s at least to make it into the "top" ten. I think there's some youtube videos of previous ones if you're willing to search for them. The winner gets a trophy and his weight worth of dollars (e.g. 120kg = $120).
Wow, I might have to slate that one on the calendar for next year! Apparently my BMI is 34 at the moment.

meetch

Postby meetch » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:37 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:We'll be opening the velodrome for training on Wednesday (probably) nights and we start racing again on the 12th of October. Wait a few more days and get a Cycling Australia license - if you get them in October they last for the rest of this year and next year.

I don't think you can access the velodrome during the day, but I'm not sure. I'll ask the next time I'm talking to the council people.
Great, thanks for that! My plan is to wait for the license but just thought Id get out on the bike whenever as it is the new toy, its just a shame I have to go to Gosford to do so. For a few days at least

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Don't forget Canterbury/Tempe velodrome is open Monday and Wednesday nights. The very friendly Dulwich crew are fantastic at helping people get into track riding there.

The track is almost next door to the station so you could catch a train from PH station via Central; it's a convenient way to get a track bike around.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

meetch

Postby meetch » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Chris249 wrote:Don't forget Canterbury/Tempe velodrome is open Monday and Wednesday nights. The very friendly Dulwich crew are fantastic at helping people get into track riding there.

The track is almost next door to the station so you could catch a train from PH station via Central; it's a convenient way to get a track bike around.
Thanks what time does it all happen monday and wednesday? btw luckily my bike fits in my car, good old hatchbacks!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Back on topic as regards track bikes, I'm in the same boat.
So far it seems to be Avanti Pista, well spoken of by an independent guy who knows his stuff, about $650.
Fuji Pista 2.0 alu frame, carbon fork. Seems to be a step up from the Avanti, about $1100.
Bianchi Super Pista, also alu frame, carbon fork, more expensive at $1400ish, but I am a Bianchi man, so it's going to be hard to refuse.
Pro-Lite do an alloy bike, but out of stock with none due until Spring 2013. A few carbon ones left, but more expensive again.
It's going to come down to a choice between the Fuji and the Bianchi for me. Wife will decide.
Bugger all on bike exchange second hand, which was not what I expected.
I'll be hiring for a few weeks first.
You have officially become your parents.