Batteries

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed May 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Did you get the lights Graeme?

My 1W Luxeon LED based light does OK but I've been riding in the dark recently and wouldn't mind something that really lit up the path.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed May 14, 2008 12:31 pm

thanks Les.. the bits are falling into place. I've never ran batteries in parallel before - so that's why it probably didn't occur to me. I think I'll start poking around for bits.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before too long.

cheers

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed May 14, 2008 1:50 pm

HappyHumber wrote:thanks Les.. the bits are falling into place. I've never ran batteries in parallel before - so that's why it probably didn't occur to me. I think I'll start poking around for bits.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before too long.

cheers

Kym
I got all my bits from Dealextreme
Torches - Ive used these and this for highbeam
Batteries - 18650
Charger -Ultrafire

The quality of thes stuff is quite good, not top shelf. Torches have variable tint and brightness from torch to torch. Batteries claim 2400mA but probably 2200mA or even slightly less. Having said that, I run two on the h/bars and 2 on the helmet and the Highbeam on the stem and I'm very happy with the set up.. The other night, I was riding towards a 4WD and the tosser turned on his highbeam and spotties, I only had the 2 on the h/bars on at the time, so I turned on my highs and the 2 helmet which I set to strobe. Needless to say he dimmed his very quickly.

Les

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

nimm wrote:Did you get the lights Graeme?

My 1W Luxeon LED based light does OK but I've been riding in the dark recently and wouldn't mind something that really lit up the path.
I ordered them last week and received notification an hour ago that they have been dispatched. They should be here next week some time.

Les, where did you get the magnetic spacers you showed me? I've ordered three torches with the intention of mounting up two with external batteries and keeping the third intact. That means I'll need to use spacers on the 18650 batteries I use in it.

One more question for you Les: I was planning to make up a battery pack where the 18650s are in series, but I see you've gone parallel. The in-series construction should give me a brighter light, but what will that do to run time?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed May 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Kalgrm wrote: One more question for you Les: I was planning to make up a battery pack where the 18650s are in series, but I see you've gone parallel. The in-series construction should give me a brighter light, but what will that do to run time?

Cheers,
Graeme
If my high school physics serves me right I'm sure your run time remains the same but your voltage goes up. So if you need to increase your run time and the volts then you need to have a pair of 2 in series paralleled. Hmmmm, thats clear as mud :oops: Any leccies out there confirm?

Sorry, spacers I used were these but wait till you get the torches first you may not need spacers.

Les

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 15, 2008 11:43 pm

G'day

Probably getting a bit off topic, but this torch came up in a backpacking thread. Any thoughts on using it as a bike light.

Thanks
Andrew

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri May 16, 2008 8:53 am

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Probably getting a bit off topic, but this torch came up in a backpacking thread. Any thoughts on using it as a bike light.

Thanks
Andrew
Some good stuff there.... smoke grenades, grenade launchers.... oh, and some nice torches. Hmm.... The Ultrafire 3x Q5 CREE LED Flashlight looks a ripper!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 16, 2008 9:06 am

kukamunga wrote:Some good stuff there.... smoke grenades, grenade launchers.... oh, and some nice torches. Hmm.... The Ultrafire 3x Q5 CREE LED Flashlight looks a ripper!
Only water resistant but. What does 700 lumens mean ... bright? :)

Andrew

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 am

I run 2 x 200 (?) lumen Cree torches for MTBing, 1 helmet and 1 handlebar mounted, which I find adequate.

The latest twin Cree Ayup light units probably put out 400-450 lumens. 700 lumens might be a bit of an exaggeration. Lens angle and design is more critical with lower outputs. With 700 lumens not so much, but you'd be wanting a 50% setting on it at least! :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 16, 2008 9:36 am

kukamunga wrote:I run 2 x 200 (?) lumen Cree torches for MTBing, 1 helmet and 1 handlebar mounted, which I find adequate.

The latest twin Cree Ayup light units probably put out 400-450 lumens. 700 lumens might be a bit of an exaggeration. Lens angle and design is more critical with lower outputs. With 700 lumens not so much, but you'd be wanting a 50% setting on it at least! :shock:
Thanks. I guess with 700 lumens one should be able to see okay :)

Ay-up claim , "approx 320 lumen" for their LCP4N Cree lights.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 pm

errrgh... I ate two boxes worth of Eclipse mints yesterday. I feel crook.

Pay day is next Wednesday - then I'll think about ordering some torches myself :)
--

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 pm

HappyHumber wrote:errrgh... I ate two boxes worth of Eclipse mints yesterday. I feel crook.

Pay day is next Wednesday - then I'll think about ordering some torches myself :)
Let me know when you're ordering. If it's okay with you, I might piggy back on some extra batteries and a pack of spacers.

You do know that the Eclipse Mints have a warning about the laxative effects of eating too many .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Fri May 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Must check my Eclipse share price ...............when I get off the loo :( :roll:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri May 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Kalgrm wrote:You do know that the Eclipse Mints have a warning about the laxative effects of eating too many .... ;)
Nah.. it's usually just the daily exploits in the office that gives me the sh!ts ;)

Can do about the order, Still to decide which torches I want though. I like Les's high beamer concept. Maybe one of the biggies and two smaller (1 helmet/1 bars).

Kym
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
Kalgrm wrote:You do know that the Eclipse Mints have a warning about the laxative effects of eating too many .... ;)
Nah.. it's usually just the daily exploits in the office that gives me the sh!ts ;)

Can do about the order, Still to decide which torches I want though. I like Les's high beamer concept. Maybe one of the biggies and two smaller (1 helmet/1 bars).

Kym
Hi Kym

Where are you getting them from?

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Aushiker wrote: Where are you getting them from?
Oh.. probably dealextreme - I haven't searched around much otherwise. Are we thinking a group buy? Nimm (Jason?) was making some similar noises too, earlier wasn't he? If we're all from Perth - if we agree on a common couple of torches - the 3+ discount could be good.
--

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat May 17, 2008 12:28 am

After testing the highbeamer over the last few nights I really can't recommend them for extended run times. They are good for about 45 minutes on the 2 battery pack then you've got the same amount of light as a Cree Q5 for the next hour or so. I am led to believe that it sucks over 2amps. I'm getting most of my education from Candlepower.

I wouldn't count on a big discount from Dealextreme for the 3+ buys. They may be cheap but they can be a little slow. Remember all their prices include shipping. Another site thats similar to Deals is Kaidomain but they don't rate very highly by those at candlepower.

wayno

Postby wayno » Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 pm

I just recieved this torch from Deals Extreme.....WOW it is bright. This is the brightest LED I've seen by far, I work in Interior Architecture and have seen alot of useless LED's. I am very happy with the torch.

I may have to try the Eclipse battery pack as well, but not knowing anything about electronics I will have to wait for the tutorial :wink:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 22, 2008 1:13 pm

I've just received mine too. WOW! These things are amazingly bright.

Now the fun stuff begins. Where's my soldering iron? :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

wayno

Postby wayno » Thu May 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Words cannot describe the power of these suckers. This is a LED that is going to change things. Its twice as good as a dolphin torch! At least!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm

wayno wrote:Its twice as good as a dolphin torch! At least!
I think this should be the new ocker benchmark - Dolphin Torch Units! I never grasped this lumens stuff :D :D
--

wayno

Postby wayno » Thu May 22, 2008 1:53 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I think this should be the new ocker benchmark - Dolphin Torch Units! I never grasped this lumens stuff :D :D
hahaha. Its so bright. I was out back yesterday lighting tree tops 50m high and 30m away.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 22, 2008 2:07 pm

I should point out that mine were the Cree Q5 torches, not the later ones that Wayno got. I'm still bloody impressed with mine though! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I should point out that mine were the Cree Q5 torches, not the later ones that Wayno got. I'm still bloody impressed with mine though! ;)
Will you have them Friday night?

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I will, but I don't think I'll have the batteries set up the way I want them. They shipped the order without the charger so I've only got the residual charge in them at the moment.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------