Melbourne to Woodend

misterhorsey

Melbourne to Woodend

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Anybody recommend any routes from Melbourne to Woodend.

The raw kms seem very doable at my current stage of fitness (81km), not accounting for any hills. But I'm just not familar at all with the roads that way, other than by car.

I'd be catching a lift back so the return isn't a problem.

This is what google tells me. But if anyone has any suggestions on roads to avoid, as well as roads to prefer - I'd be much obliged. I note the google maps starts by hugging the bike path, I'd prefer faster but safe roads.

http://goo.gl/maps/HtknL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd actually be starting off from Northcote so there's potential for significantly alternate routes.

I'm not even sure what the best road out of the city is....

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

DoogleDave

Re: Melbourne to Woodend

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Mapping your route from Airport West to Woodend (on Bikely), it looks like you'd be up for 833m of climbing - uphill all the way.

SEE HERE - click on SHOW , then Elevation Profile

I'd pick a day with light winds or a southerly. Much better to ride into a headwind downhill than ride into one uphill (unless you want extra training for your legs) :lol:

Another alternative is at the 15km mark (according to my map above) you could turn left and go across to Diggers Rest and then follow the Calder Fwy all the way up.
You're allowed to ride along the Calder Fwy (outbound from Kings Rd in Sydneham) and the emergency/bike lane is quite wide.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Mapping your route from Airport West to Woodend (on Bikely), it looks like you'd be up for 833m of climbing - uphill all the way.

I'd pick a day with light winds or a southerly. Much better to ride into a headwind downhill than ride into one uphill (unless you want extra training for your legs) :lol:

Another alternative is at the 15km mark (according to my map above) you could turn left and go across to Diggers Rest and then follow the Calder Fwy all the way up.
You're allowed to ride along the Calder Fwy (outbound from Kings Rd in Sydneham) and the emergency/bike lane is quite wide.

Dave
Wow, thanks Dave! Uphill all the way, hey! That actually doesn't stress me out too much as the elevation looks fairly steady.

What my bigger concern is not having travelled on any of these roads before, whether traffic is plentiful or sparse, and most importantly, whether it is well behaved or bad mannered. The idea of a freeway ride strikes me as an unpleasant noisy spin class.

I'm actually thinking of doing it this saturday (if the weather holds up). I have a function on at woodend at lunch time, which I didn't want to go to as I wanted to do my usual weekend ride. Then it occured to me I could combine the two!

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 pm

although one option may to drive up there and do a round around Woodend/Mt Macedon, as I will have a friend driving to bring me and bike back.

But I like the idea of getting to the destination under my own steam. Going anywhere on beach rd and back has a certain pointlessness to it.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Unfortunately I haven't ridden these specific roads so I can't confirm what they're like....but I ride similar roads nearby (I live next to Caroline Springs) so I frequent around Diggers Rest, Gisborne, Melton etc.
All these roads I'd pretty much class as rural so no real shoulders to most of the roads but the drivers usually give a considerate wide-ish berth as they pass by and it's not like driving through the CBD.

If you're lucky, Mulger Bill will see this post (I believe he resides in Sunbury), so there's a fair chance he will be able to advise what these roads may be like...

The forecast for this Saturday is looking ominously brutal for the Grand Final, but if you plan to ride in the morning and be in Woodend by lunchtime you may be lucky and beat the worst of it (including hail from some reports).
Just keep an eye on the forecast throughout Friday and see what they are saying then.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Cheers Dave.

Horsey. DO NOT GO VIA TULLA AIRPORT!

I can't stress it enough, the roads from the airport to Sunbury scare the living spit outta me. While there's some good sections, the rest is fast single lane stuff with filthy, narrow shoulders and some heavy aggression where ever two lanes merge to one and then you get to Bulla Hill (which is really a valley)...

As Dave said, Calder Freeway from Kings Rd is the go, mostly good shoulders as far as Gisborne exit (my limit) but there's a few climbs.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 am

DoogleDave wrote:Mapping your route from Airport West to Woodend (on Bikely), it looks like you'd be up for 833m of climbing - uphill all the way.

Dave
Actually, I rode from Parkdale to the top of Mt Macedon one day, 200km return trip, and had a headwind all the way to Mt Macedon. I was then glad of the tailwind heading home. And yes, the freeway's quite rideable on a bike: I took it on that trip and had no problems except for 3 motorists tooting me, because they were obviously illiterate and couldn't read the "bicycles excepted" on the emergency lane "no stopping" signs :roll: . This is the route I took that day:
http://www.mytrails.com.au/trails.php?tid=1001330.

I'm planning another ride up Mt Macedon, but from where I now live, in Ringwood North, probably via this route:
http://www.mytrails.com.au/trails.php?tid=1002427
Another cyclist I know has ridden the Melbourne to Mt Macedon section of the 2nd route above, and says it's OK for cycling.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks guys.

It looks like the weather might rain on my solo parade for this weekend, but its a trip i'd like to do one day. I spoke to someone who suggested taking a less direct but more scenic route, longer and hillier route via Taylors Lakes, Gisborne. Maybe that's something to consider?

Its hard to visualise how it might be without really having any understanding of the roads. Maybe I need to drive it first???

Although, if anyone knows of any pleasant routes out of melbourne for a long ride, of a Woodendy distance - I'd love to hear any suggestions. I guess looking at the map Kinglake would be ideal? I'm still fairly new to the long road ride.

Cheers.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I live in Gladstone Park and have done the return ride to Woodend or Macedon many times. My route is via Mickelham Rd, turn left at Craigieburn Rd West, Right at Konagaderra Rd, right at Lancefield Rd, Left at Sutherlands Rd and follow this to Riddells Creek(nice bakery here), Hamilton out of Riddells Creek to Macedon, turn right at Mt Macedon Rd, left at the Avenue and then turn up the Old Calder Hwy and take this to Woodend(also a nice bakery here).

There are 2 climbs on Konagaderra Rd, the first at Lighthouse Gully and the second not far from Lancefield Rd. Watch out for the psycho magpie not long after the first climb. The roads are generally quiet especially on a Sunday but the road surface of Konagaderra Rd is'nt the best as there are lots of pot holes along the edge's. I feel pretty safe non the less and it's a good ride so enjoy it.

Another good ride you might want to consider is to Broadford via Wandong.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 pm

birdbrain wrote:I live in Gladstone Park and have done the return ride to Woodend or Macedon many times. My route is via Mickelham Rd, turn left at Craigieburn Rd West, Right at Konagaderra Rd, right at Lancefield Rd, Left at Sutherlands Rd and follow this to Riddells Creek(nice bakery here), Hamilton out of Riddells Creek to Macedon, turn right at Mt Macedon Rd, left at the Avenue and then turn up the Old Calder Hwy and take this to Woodend(also a nice bakery here).

There are 2 climbs on Konagaderra Rd, the first at Lighthouse Gully and the second not far from Lancefield Rd. Watch out for the psycho magpie not long after the first climb. The roads are generally quiet especially on a Sunday but the road surface of Konagaderra Rd is'nt the best as there are lots of pot holes along the edge's. I feel pretty safe non the less and it's a good ride so enjoy it.

Another good ride you might want to consider is to Broadford via Wandong.
beautiful - thanks bird brain. Just need to figure out a nice route to Gladstone Park and I think I may be in business (one day when the weather is kind!).

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Its hard to visualise how it might be without really having any understanding of the roads. Maybe I need to drive it first???.
I've used Google StreetView on several occasions to plan future cycling trips. It helps you get an idea of whether the road has decent verges, cycle lanes, etc. Unfortunately, some of the more interesting roads aren't covered by StreetView. I'd love to know what the road up to Falls Creek from Anglers Rest looks like, but I guess I'll have to find out on the day, because StreetView doesn't cover it :(