I thought you guys were tough! (A bit of fun)

ColinOldnCranky

I thought you guys were tough! (A bit of fun)

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

Perth, on the way in, and it was as the weatherman suggested - WIndy, lotsa short bursts of driving rain.

But I have ridden in worse going home with the tide up and being dumped on by load after load of river water. And others have been with me too.

So where were all you guys this morning? You were all riding into it over winter. In days where there a lot more storm damage than the little bit I saw today.

Anyway - this is the place to either
  • Brag about your journey in to work - tell everyone about any obstacles or incidents arising out of your brave (stupid?) decision
  • Out yourself with utter shame and make an excuse. Any excuse wil do because the hero's who rode will still bag you no matter how legit your reasons are. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: I thought you guys were tough! (A bit of fun)

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 am

In one way it was fortunate for me that you weren't all out and about today.

As I came out from behind the protective screen of bushes at Hardy Street aroudnteh zoo I got hit hard HARD H-A-R-D. I know what 50km/hr winds feel like and this was at least that big. I struggled to stay on a reasonable narrow line, probably taking up about an extra foot or so as I got pushed. That and the pancho hanging out to my right at right angles did not leave a lot of margin for passing.

As it was there was one guy who did struggle past me and he, sensibly, took as wide a berth as was available.

It turned out to be only a short squall. By the time I was on the narrows it was a respectable breeze/light wind.

Overall it was windy enough to give me a frozen left arm despite the warmish 11 degrees or so but it was not overly wet. And the blue sky was mostly somewhere to be glimpsed. At trips end I didn't feel overly exerted, though I would understand anyone riding in from the east feeling differently.

I got to clear two smallish bits of shrubery, one from the Parry Ave crossing and another from the path. And picked up and returned one small sign from the Quay works that had blwon onto the PSP. Other than that, there was litle fresh damage to see.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 am

this morning on the northern bike path noticed the absence of cyclists and it wasnt rainning (AT) 7:45.....
Got past by one and only biker..
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:51 am

For being 10C this morning, it felt bloody freezing! Didn't help that it rained for the first 20 minutes of my ride, then got windy. I actually was the coldest I've been all winter, for some reason the rain just felt like ice and chilled me to the bone in just a minute or two.

And you're right, there was hardly anyone out today. Can't say I blame them either. I've been at work for almost an hour now, and I'm still having a hard time typing my fingers are so stiff. :)

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am

acually i didn't care if it hailed, the car is in the garrage :)
also tuesday i glued the tubulars to the durace rims and wanted to make sure they are secured on the rim using sellys quick grip 8)
My commute is approx 3 1/2 kays, 10minutes
awsome ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

last 2 days have been headwinds & rain all the way into work, as well as a flat each day (front & rear) to round out the experience.

i was over it today!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am

I’m still on track with every working day this year similar commute to Roland’s.
Today and yesterday 15-20min to wait out a shower about to hit gave me a nice 45min fine window with a little ‘cool down’ rain shower around the CBD before rolling into the office.
Bless the BOM Radar “Aussie Weather” app on android.

A long time ago a friend recommended Joe’s Cakes in West Perth for a fresh cinnamon scroll (choice was a large custard/raisin snail, or smaller cinnamon bun, so I wisely chose the larger snail :)
It sounded like a nice minor detour from cycle route into work. Seeing the Pea and Ham Soup on the board was an instant hit. I'm having tomorrow off for extra long weekend birthday celebrations, so this was the perfect warm-up in both senses :)
http://www.joescakes.com.au/contactus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was too hot to eat all the soup there, so had a few minutes break tasting it, then packed it with the snail and caramel slice safely in the trunk box I fortunately had mostly empty (2nd day testing it).
It survived without spilling on the remainding route:
- Outram St. dodging parked car doorings and pedestrians crossing without looking
- through to Kings Park Rd parked car door dodging plus peak hour car slug slowly passing me
- climaxing with a clear high speed downhill to St Georges with lucky green light :)
I’m not fond of the roads hoped I wouldn’t have an incident and missing out on eating Joes bakery goods. Fun in a bike courier sense of feeling more alive with near misses, but a reminder to stick to the cycle route as it’s much more enjoyable.
Treated myself to a long macchiato to complement the breakfast from Castro with signs of a CoP award of it being best Perth coffee voted ‘by the people’.
The soup etc. from Joes
Re-heated snail 1min melts in mouth with a nice coffee to wash it down, two thumbs up :)

Next will be a Cop the Lot burger for lunch... I hope it’s a bit of a tail wind for the ride home =D
Last edited by eldavo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 am

i'm sure i spotted you riding up parli hill yesterday arvo eldavo - unless there is another bike that looks like yours around!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah if fluoro yellow arm sleeves, that's the start of the trip home for me.
I've tried detouring from Parliament Hay St. to Mill St. and had 3 near misses in 30m of Mill St. peak hour, doorings, peds crossing, and cyclist close behind me not ready to emergency brake for the other incidents =D
So I stick to the cycle path circling around down to Convention Centre, right to corner of the building.
Last edited by eldavo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 am

eldavo wrote:If it was the cycle path up the hill after work, fluoro yellow arm sleeves, yeah that's the start of the trip home for me.
I've tried detouring from Parliament Hay St. to Mill St. and had 3 near misses in 30m of Mill St. peak hour, so stick to the cycle path circling around down to Convention Centre, right to corner of the building.
yep, i head down the bike path on my way home - that bike is def an eye catcher!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:58 am

JBark wrote:For being 10C this morning, it felt bloody freezing!
I know, right?! I rode all through winter and didn't feel cold like today.

I got going about an hour later than usual, but got going nonetheless. I had actually decided to wuss out due to a heavy shower that went over at my usual setoff time, but then I would have had to shower at home, which would have meant getting around to putting away all the drying sailing gear from the weekend that was still hanging up in there. [/firstworldproblems] ... so bike it was. And pretty tough going into a gusty SW'ly. Stayed mostly dry somehow but very nearly got blown off my feet waiting at the lights at Leach Hwy by a container truck passing at what must have been 80kph.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I actually had a great commute in today!Though i never saw any cyclist/s between Cockburn and the new Parry avenue detour! :? I had to stop and change into rainjacket at one stage when i thought it would pelt down!Four clicks later i had to "disrobe" as i was getting too hot! :oops: Winds were fine for a while through Leach to Canning bridge and then had a ride in with a gentleman on a very fine looking flat bar; if you're on this forum "g'day" again and thanks for the companionship ride to the Narrows! :) As i always ride along Mounts Bay rd to head towards the UWA campus i always keep an eye on the flags and keep something in reserve if needed for the "home stretch" to work; this morning i thought it would be tough but was pleasantly surprised by the easy ride into the headwind! :D Also a shout out to you Colin, we crossed over the road together beneath the Narrows and i said hello :D love that little "transistor"radio you had with you!
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:05 pm

I've been Hiding inside you guys are tough.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

just checked, thank god its still a south westerly. It was tough this morning. Taking tomorrow off to go riding.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I've been Hiding inside you guys are tough.
+1 :oops:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Was out at 5:30 this morning. We have a bike learners class and meet up at 6:30 in kings park.

Was overtaken by eldavo on Wednesday morning. Didn't know it until now as those pink spokes stand out, unless there is too of you with the same wheels.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 am

I reneged and went out this arvo windy, wet and cold :(

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi Roland, hope it was me if good pass, or the other woman with pink wheels if bad :p

I got stuck late at work to have today off, but the wind shifted and obs read 0 0 0 wind speeds at one point. No wind felt like a tail wind after always seeming to be against it this week.

4 day commute break now handing over to the fair weather riders, I leave winter and return to summer weather. Mental.
Will take MTB out in suburbia or fat bike to the beach on the warmer Sunday or Monday mornings.

Have a top long weekend everyone :)

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm

*bad Yorkshireman accent* Back I was t'lad, we'd ride home from work twenty-nine hours a day down mill through sulfuric acid rain and solar winds, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

Was a wee bit nippy this morning, 6.5 degrees at Leederville at 6am but it warmed up soon after. Sure it got colder going down Thomas Street to UWA but I had removed some of my layering by that stage.

Apparently it was 7 degrees in Bickley at 2pm on Thursday though :shock: . Weather is looking fantastic for the weekend but I'll admit to being a softie and I'll keep the arm-warmers on for the hills.