Best route - Busselton to Perth

fixed

Best route - Busselton to Perth

Postby fixed » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm getting a lift to Busso and I'm asking about the experience of riding back to Perth in a day. Figure the PSP from Mandurah, but from Busso to Capel to Bunbury to Mandurah?

Any recommendations for the route?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

exadios

Re: Best route - Busselton to Perth

Postby exadios » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Follow Layman Rd out of Busselton to Tuart Drive. Turn left at Ldlow Rd N. Turn Right (east) at Stirling Rd to Busell Hwy and turn left (north). There is a shoulder on the Hwy. Turn left at Fisherman Rd and right at Minninup Rd (north). Ride north through the southern districts of Bunbury to Washington Ave and turn right and go to Bussel Hwy near the loop. Take the loop. After that it is a boring ride up Old Coast Road (route 1) and Forrest Hwy (route 2), both of which have shoulders, to Mandurah.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Well your stuck with Bussel Hwy, but you can avoid Forrest Hwy and Old Mandurah Rd's if you do this It's the way Audax runs down to Australind and return on the long flat one. Lot more peaceful heading that way and scenic on rural routes.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks peoples.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

exadios

Postby exadios » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well your stuck with Bussel Hwy, but you can avoid Forrest Hwy and Old Mandurah Rd's if you do this It's the way Audax runs down to Australind and return on the long flat one. Lot more peaceful heading that way and scenic on rural routes.
I rode up Old Coast Rd north of Southern Estuary Rd a few years ago (before Forrest Hwy was built) - found it quite scarey.

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 pm

exadios wrote:(before Forrest Hwy was built)
I'd suggest this is why it was quite scary :)

The majority of traffic takes Forrest Hwy now so Old Coast Rd should be more pleasant.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm

exadios wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Well your stuck with Bussel Hwy, but you can avoid Forrest Hwy and Old Mandurah Rd's if you do this It's the way Audax runs down to Australind and return on the long flat one. Lot more peaceful heading that way and scenic on rural routes.
I rode up Old Coast Rd north of Southern Estuary Rd a few years ago (before Forrest Hwy was built) - found it quite scarey.
Hence if you look at the way us Audax ppl ride, you would notice we get across the bridge, and promptly get onto Estuary Rd before we have a short stint back on Old Coast Rd before we are turning off again onto Southern Estuary Rd. Traffic is a heap less now, that service station has shut up shop due to less traffic.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

exadios

Postby exadios » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Speedster wrote:
exadios wrote:(before Forrest Hwy was built)
I'd suggest this is why it was quite scary :)

The majority of traffic takes Forrest Hwy now so Old Coast Rd should be more pleasant.
That's good to know. I might give it another try.