Aldi Specials

CatCanRide

Aldi Specials

Postby CatCanRide » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Don't know what the quality is like but might be worth checking out.

https://www.catalogueau.com/aldi/

g-boaf

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Don't go the cycling knicks... They are apparently quite revealing. :shock:

zero

Postby zero » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

their wetweather gear and gloves are often ok.

The bikes are generally awful. I have a 24in rim, kids sized frame from one of the "brands" that aldi dumps on the market, saved from being dumped in my blocks garbage, and it weighs 16kgs with no accessories. Enough so that the appropriate sized owner would struggle to lift it up a flight of stairs.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 pm

A friend bought some arm warmers from Aldi and they are cheap, nasty and ill fitting. Probably match the knicks.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 pm

You do get what you pay for. Some Aldi stuff is OK, as above the knicks are pretty ordinary, tops are OK.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll be checking out their jackets but definitely NOT their knicks. Even in black they're too Polish for my taste...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 pm

The Aldi knicks are pretty good value for $12.99 providing you cut off the leg grippers and only wear them as underdacks when you go riding wearing jeans or board shorts. 8)

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 pm

birdbrain wrote:A friend bought some arm warmers from Aldi and they are cheap, nasty and ill fitting. Probably match the knicks.
+1 and add leg warmers to that list
Gloves are ok though

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm

The helmets are good value and meet exactly the same safety standards as the $200 plus helmets for sale in your LBS.

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 pm

Their helmets are great and the bike stand is good , despite what others sau

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 pm

I have one of their soft shells (well of sorts there is no way the one I have is waterproof at all) and it has done a good job. Used quite a bit over the last 12 months and still going strong. And outlived a Jaggard jacket that cost well over $300. Might head down to get another one of these.

Also got the socks last year, they are very much only summer weight but completely acceptable.

Tried their bib knicks also last year but "tested" them when I got them home and they where completely crap so returned them. Smaller size may have fitted a little better but there wasn't any left.

- David.

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 am

i bought their pump last time.

it broke last week when i tried pumping it up!
gonna try take it back... major failure.
i only tried pumping it up to 100psi about 2 times prior to that.

looking at the catalouge it seems the pump they're selling is of a different design so i might buy it in the meantime and wait for a sale from wiggle to buy a proper leyzne one.

i also bought the knicks last time, they're fine. i haven't had anyone tell me that they're see through. then again.. im young so maybe it wasn't too much of an eyesore :P .
looking at the catalogue they seem to be a different design. the last ones i had didnt have any of the fancy stuff and had 'crane' lettering.

I've only worn them but they seem a bit uncomfortable. I ordered two pairs of netti knicks i picked up from graysonline a few months back, ill have to wear them for comparison.

i also bought the lights last time, good value. not much use in terms of actual light, but it fulfills the legislative requirement of having lights at night.

i also bought the tool kit.
i think i bought it for 40 or so dollars. it's cheaper now. (or maybe it was $30 back then too)

helmet is great!
comes with the 2008 sticker so meets standard. fits great as well because of the wheel adjustment thing at the back.

ill have to pick up some shirts as well.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am

The must have changed the supplier for knicks. My first two pairs were from Aldi in 06 or 07. I still use them for commutes (and even a 200km brevet by accident). Very good value if you ask me.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 am

And now available for a short time only, crap coffee.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Yep - I bought a pair of $15 bibs a couple of years ago. Still use them as commuting knicks, no dramas. Great value...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm

ftssjk wrote:i bought their pump last time.

looking at the catalouge it seems the pump they're selling is of a different design so i might buy it in the meantime and wait for a sale from wiggle to buy a proper leyzne one.
+eleventy to this.

If it's the same one I bought - then I'm waiting for it to bend in half.
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_21662.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The foot plate flexes as you pump it and once it gets up to the max psi for my tyres (80) it really starts to struggle and feels like it is going to snap in half.....
What annoys me the most is about a week after I bought it was in my LBS and they had Tioga ones on special for $20, still do:
http://www.bikes.com.au/p/332776/tioga- ... -pump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm now convinced the only good thing at Aldi is their bananas...

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 am

Lebowski wrote:
ftssjk wrote:i bought their pump last time.

+eleventy to this.

If it's the same one I bought - then I'm waiting for it to bend in half.
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_21662.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The foot plate flexes as you pump it and once it gets up to the max psi for my tyres (80) it really starts to struggle and feels like it is going to snap in half.....
What annoys me the most is about a week after I bought it was in my LBS and they had Tioga ones on special for $20, still do:
http://www.bikes.com.au/p/332776/tioga- ... -pump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm now convinced the only good thing at Aldi is their bananas...
heh
thats actually not even the pump i bought.
the pump i bought is this one here,
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _14015.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but ill pop in and see if their new pump looks okay..
ill have to go there anyway and take the old pump back and see what they say.
(the pump handle head thing actually snapped off from the body)

bradman

Postby bradman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I bought two jerseys and one of the bike toolsets from Aldi today and they seem okay. As I didn't have any bike-specific tools already, the ones included should be enough for me to keep on top of any maintenance issues. The old mountain bike in the garage looks like it might end up being an experimental/project bike now...

mddawson

Postby mddawson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Picked up a tool kit, some jackets and glasses at my local Aldi. No one was buying a bike early this morning and my wife said they had a lot left this afternoon. I wonder if its worthwhile buying a hybrid bike in a few weeks if they drop below $100?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the headsup CatsCanRide, i'll definitely have to check my local store, the last couple of rides i've done i've been wanting a spray jacket just like the one in the catalogue (assuming it is actually waterproof).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

went to my local at 4pm
only things left:
iphone mounts and the pumps
wanted the shy shorts - they had 2 pairs left - neither my size.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Woulda preferred the spray jacket came in red or blue but got one anyway. Picked up a black jersey and a new lid for the eldest too. The lid looked very good.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:18 am

picked up 2 shirts and the pump.

the pump is much much better than their older design.
dear i say better then the joe blow my friend has.....

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 am

Yup, I picked up the track pump yesterday and used it this morning to pump up the tyres on the Mercian. Worked really well upto 120 psi and seems pretty solid with an alloy barrel, gauge (sort of accurate...) and a quality valve head fitting, Base is a bit flimsy but no worse than the $50- 60 examples in the LBS.
Has a little way to go to match the solidity of my 30 year old Silca track pump tho' :)
Cheers
Richard

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am

Grabbed a wireless computer yesterday, after losing mine on the weekend. Perfect timing thanks aldi. Should have grabbed a pump, and may do yet, after mine track pump started farting near 100psi this morning. The old one might be relegated to MTB duties from now on.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.