caltrops

hotfoot

caltrops

Postby hotfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 am

Caltrops..double gees...mongrel prickles...
I was reading the local rag today ( I was bored) and found an advert form the City of Stirling, they are asking anyone who notices a clump pf caltrops growing in the C of S, to report it so they can knock this evil weed off. As a victim of thse mongrel prickle twice this month I plead other cyclists do just this. You can contact C of Stirling on 9345 8555 or http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/Home/Comm ... Issues.htm
(I have now fitted thorn proof tyres)

Baalzamon

Re: caltrops

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

I've just contacted City of Canning about Caltrop weed growing on the SUP adjacent to Orrong Road. I'll see how it improves, but I'm looking at fitting my schwalbe marathon plus again.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Caltrop & doublegee are different species (from different familes even). Here they both are (just so you know what to look out for):

Caltrop

Doublegee

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 pm

When I was a kid in Merredin way back, Calthrop were thick everywhere. Go for a walk in thongs and grow taller as they built up.
It was always funny to watch the dog trying to negotiate a patch.
My dad worked for the APB and his job was spraying them with 2 4 D. Don't think it did much good though.

We used to stretch a thin piece of wire across th forks just above the tyre to brush them off the tyre. It seemed to work most of the time but we still became wizards at mending punctures. I recall we used spoons as tyre levers and the patches were heat vulcanizing. You held them in place with a clamp and lit the stuff on the back. Car ones were the same only bigger.
Calthrops and bare feet were murder. I'm glad there don't seem to be any round here. I wonder if they are still endemic back in Merredin?

John

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks for that BR - always thought they were different but could never find the two together to compare like that, and I guess you're the one who'd know :)

Baalz good luck, I spent three years eliminating the caltrop from the Roe Hwy and Canning River shared path near me. You have to pull out by hand all the plants you can, as often as you can. The seeds will germinate after seven years of waiting I believe, so the buggers will keep popping up again and again. I pulled up everything, taking the plants back to my place and burning them. Any plants that then germinated would be sprayed with glysophate before they showed seed, or pulled out and burned after. It takes perseverance.

I started on the Orrong Rd path, but gave up when I stopped sweeping the paths and using it regularly.

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

gazman

Postby gazman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 am

I was in Merredin for 5 years 5 years ago but noticed more Caltrops in the City of Stirling than Merredin. Although 2xg are still prevalent in Mdn. Still follow Nukarni in the footie!!

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Seven years huh? Peeoo. Oh well good news is the corella just love the things..our western longbills developed a long beak just to dig the rotten thing up..go corellas

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 pm

gazman wrote:I was in Merredin for 5 years 5 years ago but noticed more Caltrops in the City of Stirling than Merredin. Although 2xg are still prevalent in Mdn. Still follow Nukarni in the footie!!
My uncles and played for Nukarni they farmed there. Spent Christmases there on Grandfathers farm.
Te 2xg's I remember but they were much worse up round Geraldton.
John

exadios

Postby exadios » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:21 am

John Lewis wrote:
gazman wrote:I was in Merredin for 5 years 5 years ago but noticed more Caltrops in the City of Stirling than Merredin. Although 2xg are still prevalent in Mdn. Still follow Nukarni in the footie!!
My uncles and played for Nukarni they farmed there. Spent Christmases there on Grandfathers farm.
Te 2xg's I remember but they were much worse up round Geraldton.
John
I recently went through 60 patches (all that I was carrying with me) and had to resort to Super Glue to repair the damage done by Double Gs east of Morowa.

I don't think I ever heard the term "Caltrop" when I was a kid. They were always called Double Gs.

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Yeah we didn't use the term caltrops either they were always double gees.

gazman

Postby gazman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Yep, I think the Geraldton/Murchison region wins "tyres" down in double g quantities. Air mattresses and camping in the Murchison = not much comfort! Caltrops, however, wins, in the rotten little mongrels stakes!!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Vittoria Randonnuer Cross tyres will beat bindiis/three-corner jacks, hands down :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Looking at images.google.com they are caltrop weeds along the section of Orrong Rd I reported to the City of Canning about. Now I'm wondering if I will able to cycle to work now as they have given me a company car :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I just hope they have space so I can leave it in the warehouse.... and cycle lol
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:57 pm

exadios wrote: I recently went through 60 patches (all that I was carrying with me) and had to resort to Super Glue to repair the damage done by Double Gs east of Morowa.

I don't think I ever heard the term "Caltrop" when I was a kid. They were always called Double Gs.
Caltrop and Doublegee are different weeds. Legend has it that doublegee came here from South Africa as a garden vegetable. I know my mum used to cook up the fresh leaves and dish them up to us as "spinach".

Double Gee - Emex australis
Caltrop, Tribulus terrestris

Well my dog latin translates that last one as "Trouble on the ground" :mrgreen:

John

exadios

Postby exadios » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 pm

John Lewis wrote:
exadios wrote: I recently went through 60 patches (all that I was carrying with me) and had to resort to Super Glue to repair the damage done by Double Gs east of Morowa.

Caltrop and Doublegee are different weeds. Legend has it that doublegee came here from South Africa as a garden vegetable. I know my mum used to cook up the fresh leaves and dish them up to us as "spinach".

Double Gee - Emex australis
Caltrop, Tribulus terrestris

Well my dog latin translates that last one as "Trouble on the ground" :mrgreen:

John
I guess I've never seen Caltrop then.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

I've just reported to the City of Armadale that they have a major infestation along Mills Rd East (the verge is covered in the stuff and the bike lane is mined) and plants taking off on nearby bikepaths, including along the Tonkin. That time of year ...

CoA doesn't have a dedicated caltrops reporting link on their webpages, we'll see how fast they respond using the general 'contact us' form.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 pm

City of Stirling has a trial going on Telford Crescent, Stirling. CycleSnail was there so probably has more details.

Andrew

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Reported Caltrop via android NeatStreets app for this location

Report shows- "City of Fremantle have added the site to its caltrop removal list, will be completed in 2-4 weeks and follow up inspections completed monthly between Nov and April until eradication"
The neatstreets app has also worked for caltrop reports in City of Stirling.
http://www.neatstreets.com.au/
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 am

From City of Stirling:
At its Council meeting held Tuesday, 7 August 2012 Council resolved to give state wide and local public notice of its proposal to make the Pest Plant Local Law 2012. The purpose and effect of the proposed local law are as follows:

Purpose - To control the pest plant caltrop within the City of Stirling.

Effect - To reduce the incidents of the pest plant caltrop infestations in the City and transportation to adjoining local governments.

An advertisement to commence state wide public notice was printed in the West Australian newspaper on Wednesday, 29 August 2012.

Proposed Pest Plant Local Law 2012.pdf

Submissions for this local law must be made in writing by 5pm on Friday, 12 October 2012 to:

Coordinator Corporate Compliance
City of Stirling
25 Cedric Street
Stirling WA 6021
Facsimile: (08) 9205 8822
Email: stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au

Take the time to provide a response as if this goes through Stirling (and City of Joondalup is doing similar), then potentially other councils will follow.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 pm

rolandp wrote:Take the time to provide a response as if this goes through Stirling (and City of Joondalup is doing similar), then potentially other councils will follow.
Done. I simply sent the following email. I really don't think I needed to say more.

To: Coordinator Corporate Compliance
City of Stirling
25 Cedric Street
Stirling WA 6021

Dear Coordinator Corporate Compliance

I am emailing in respect to the proposed Pest Plant Local Law 2012. Having reviewed the proposed by-law and as cyclist who rides through the City of Stirling regularly I applauded the City for taking this step and whole heartedly support the by-law and its enforcement.

Regards

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 am

Hi, also found on the City of Joondalup:
Pest Plant Proposed Local Law 2012
23/08/2012 12:00:00 PM

Under the powers conferred by the Agriculture and Related Resources Protection Act 1976 and the Local Government Act 1995 and under all other powers enabling it, the Council of the City of Joondalup resolved on 24 July 2012 to make a Pest Plant Local Law.

The purpose of this local law is to prescribe pest plants within the City of Joondalup district that, in the local government’s opinion, are likely to adversely affect the value of property in the district or the health, comfort or convenience of the inhabitants of the district. The effect of this local law is to require the owner or occupier of private land within the City of Joondalup district to destroy, eradicate or otherwise control pest plants on and in relation to that land in a manner and within a time specified in a notice given by the local government and served on the owner or occupier of the land.

Please take the time to respond to Stirling and Joondalup. Use Aushikers response as a template.
Joondalup - info@joondalup.wa.gov.au
Stirling - stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm

I have received a response to my email to the City of Stirling ...

Good afternoon Mr Priest

Thank you for your time and interest in the City's proposed Pest Plant Local Law 2012.

Your comments will be submitted to the Council for their consideration in October.

Kind regards,

Jasmine Bray
Corporate Compliance Officer

Any correspondence in relation to the Pest Plant Local Law 2012 will be seen by the Council so please do consider making a submission.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi, these close soon:
Joondalup - 8 Oct 2012 (next Monday)
Stirling - 12 Oct 2012.

Take the time to send a e-mail response to each council.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am

Friendly bump, Joondalup's responses close today.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm

It's that time of year. The Caltrops are growing. 2 areas reported today.